Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Buying a Refundable AS ticket for Express Purpose of Using AS Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a Refundable AS ticket for Express Purpose of Using AS Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by _fx
The US legal system and airline CoCs are among the last things in the world I would categorize as "obvious."
I did not use the word in a legal sense; I used it in a plain English sense that a small child could understand. Taking something that's not yours is stealing. Any 4 year old knows that.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:40 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I did not use the word in a legal sense; I used it in a plain English sense that a small child could understand. Taking something that's not yours is stealing. Any 4 year old knows that.
So if the airline IDBs someone is that "stealing?" I paid for the ticket and the airline took it away from me. Sounds like stealing. Except we know it's not, because the law was written to be interpreted by adults and not small children.

In any case, I'll /unsub from this thread. OP has our opinions on the issue and continuing this argument does not seem productive.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I ask the moral question that hasnt been explicit here.

If you are an AS club member....does it make it OK to get a BP or gate pass to get entrance to the club? Most clubs advertise its more than just a pre-flight lounge....you dont need a BP with AS lounge membership to get in.

Also, i have hit the lounge upon arrival to SFO as i was rushing from LAX to get on an earlier flight to get home and was famished....the lounge attendant looked at me funny...but i think thats totally kosher....i flew in and was there for 30 min. enought for a soup and a salad and a coffee.....
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:47 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by isaacchambers
you dont need a BP with AS lounge membership to get in.
"To access the Alaska Lounge, members and guests must present a same-day ticketed boarding pass on any carrier."
psychtobe and jsguyrus like this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by isaacchambers
I ask the moral question that hasnt been explicit here.

If you are an AS club member....does it make it OK to get a BP or gate pass to get entrance to the club? Most clubs advertise its more than just a pre-flight lounge....you dont need a BP with AS lounge membership to get in.

Also, i have hit the lounge upon arrival to SFO as i was rushing from LAX to get on an earlier flight to get home and was famished....the lounge attendant looked at me funny...but i think thats totally kosher....i flew in and was there for 30 min. enought for a soup and a salad and a coffee.....
Originally Posted by dayone
"To access the Alaska Lounge, members and guests must present a same-day ticketed boarding pass on any carrier."
The emphasis is mine.

I'm going to skip the moral question and go straight to the obvious. If you are going to do this, don't use an AS ticket. Buy a refundable ticket with an airline that you never plan on flying.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by psychtobe
during the pandemic my son was so sad about not traveling we bought two refundable one ways so we could wander around the airport for a while. then we left and refunded the tickets. no harm, no foul. is this different?
They were practically paying people to fly during the pandemic...why just walk around when you could have flown on a practically empty airplane?
Old Apr 11, 2023, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
thanks everyone for the sincere dialogue

to clarify:

wife has Citi AA MC Elite thus AA lounge and AS lounge membership. She does not have any AS or OW status. she is flying an award on another airline and has a long layover and would like to use AS lounge. The AA lounges require same day ticket on AA (or B6, and I understand AS works as well) so I assumed same would be true for AS lounge. But it looks like that is not true - any carrier ticket will work - so no need for shenanigans.

Appreciate the link in the CoC about tickets which one has no intention of using. To me that seems pretty black and white.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 11:18 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note

Asked, ethics debated, OP clarified, so now time to close.

dayone, AS Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.