Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Buying a Refundable AS ticket for Express Purpose of Using AS Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a Refundable AS ticket for Express Purpose of Using AS Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The main thing to consider is what you intend to do when accessing the lounge. AS does not have lounges with extensive gourmet food buffets, spa services, etc. so it is unclear how much you would really gain through the entry and whether buying a refundable ticket and refunding it would be worth your time.

That said, people buy and cancel refundable tickets without issue. WN even uses that as a selling point for their business select and anytime fares which can be refunded directly in their app up to 10 minutes before departure time. Quick and easy. Some people need flexible tickets as they may need to change destinations or some business negotiation, legal action, etc may be delayed or cancelled--or may even be even meet somebody in a lounge. Not a big deal at all.

If you are regularly buying refundable tickets for the sole purpose of entering a lounge, this is where you can get into trouble--but again, an AS lounge is not worth the trouble if you are just looking for some space or food.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I have a question for him about boarding passes, maybe someone here knows.

He has to check in and get a BP from the airline/flight he is actually flying.

He also has to check in and get a BP from AS to get past security and into the lounge he wants to go to.

Is there any airline cross-referencing software that will say "hey, this guy already has a BP for today"?
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Just so you know, there are people who use the airlines for time critical transportation of things like human organs, that due to the nature of the work, book very last minute (like 2-3 hours before departure). When you book a seat that you have no intention of using you make that seat unavailable and potentially add time or make getting to a location impossible. Be considerate of others, make full use of your rightful benefits, but don't try to scam and steal.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I have a question for him about boarding passes, maybe someone here knows.

He has to check in and get a BP from the airline/flight he is actually flying.

He also has to check in and get a BP from AS to get past security and into the lounge he wants to go to.

Is there any airline cross-referencing software that will say "hey, this guy already has a BP for today"?
Yes, kind of. If you have multiple flights it will flag at the TSA checkpoint. They will ask you about it but if you have some kind of plausible explanation they would still let you through. I dont believe there is any airline cross referencing.
anteater likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
There are also legitimate cases for having two flights leaving from the same airport. Sometimes when one flight is delayed, I would often book with another carrier before I even get to the airport (I get to the airport really late, usually). TSA would see two flights under my name, and it's an easy explanation. Also, sometimes when a flight is cancelled, but it does not relay to TSA right away, so they are still seeing two flights under my name.
econ likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Against the law? No.
An argument for fraud could be made.

It's unlikely that there would be legal ramifications but that doesn't mean it's not against the law.
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Yes, kind of. If you have multiple flights it will flag at the TSA checkpoint. They will ask you about it but if you have some kind of plausible explanation they would still let you through.
IME, they simply ask what flight# I intend to fly on. They typically haven’t asked for any type of explanation or justification, and when they do I just say it’s a backup flight.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 4:29 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Regardless of whether it's "moral," the chance you get in trouble for doing this occasionally (legal or otherwise) are zero.

And as far as whether it's the "right" thing to do ... you can decide for yourself. Personally, an anonymous online forum of mostly well-off individuals who are dedicated to an activity that contributes to global warming is not the first place I'd turn to calibrate my moral compass.
Red L and Single_Flyer like this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
You could try it and will probably get away with it once, but why?

Reminds me of the time I was flying out of JFK T7 on Iberia and the general TSA line was an hour long so I bought an Alaska ticket to use precheck. This resulted in being able to use the Alaska lounge before it closed for the night rather than wait for bTSA so I guess I kind of did this once...
Old Apr 11, 2023, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by _fx
Personally, an anonymous online forum of mostly well-off individuals who are dedicated to an activity that contributes to global warming is not the first place I'd turn to calibrate my moral compass.
.....says the DL Platinum and Alaska 75K!
Steve in Olympia and anteater like this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:02 pm
_fx

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
.....says the DL Platinum and Alaska 75K!
Thus why I didn't offer any moral advice I like my FlyerTalk to stick to the facts. Anything else is just inviting popcorn.

In general, social media is a terrible place to ask moral questions. Post the same issue on Reddit or TikTok and you'll probably get 1000 responses about how corporations and capitalism are evil and so anything you can do to game the system is reasonable, etc...

I like when we just discuss about what you ACTUALLY can and can't do per the rules and leave it at that.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:19 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by _fx
the chance you get in trouble for doing this occasionally (legal or otherwise) are zero.
Depends on your definition of "occasionally." If someone does this "occasionally" enough with AA, I bet they will make the acquaintance of someone in corporate security.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by _fx
I like when we just discuss about what you ACTUALLY can and can't do per the rules and leave it at that.
According to the rules, no you absolutely can't. Will you get away with it? Maybe. I have no idea how competent AS is in this regard. I do know that we occasionally get new threads from obvious miles brokers asking why their accounts have been closed down, so AS isn't completely out to lunch here.

Calling it "stealing" was not a moral argument; it's just obvious. Asking whether it's immoral to steal is not something that I'm going to get into. But I don't honestly believe that anyone here does not understand that taking something that's not yours is stealing.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:55 pm

Here's the relevant part of the contract of carriage (Rule 7, Section D):

Duplicate, impossible/illogical, fraudulent, fictitious or abusive bookings and/or reservations, or bookings and/or reservations made by Passengers with no intention of being used, are prohibited and may be subject to cancellation. A duplicate or impossible/illogical booking includes, but is not limited to, bookings for the same Passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin and/or destination (such as SEALAX and SEAONT or SNASEA and ONTSEA), or bookings with Connections that depart before the arrival of the inbound flight. Fraudulent, fictitious or abusive bookings are defined as any bookings made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named Passenger. Additionally, creating bookings to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, Mileage Plan award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available, or to gain access to airport facilities, or to circumvent any of Alaska's fare rules or policies, is prohibited without prior authorization from Alaska.
uanj, Steve in Olympia and _fx like this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:28 pm
_fx

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Calling it "stealing" was not a moral argument; it's just obvious.
The US legal system and airline CoCs are among the last things in the world I would categorize as "obvious."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.