Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Buying a Refundable AS ticket for Express Purpose of Using AS Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a Refundable AS ticket for Express Purpose of Using AS Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:47 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
If you don’t mind being a jerk, thief, liar that could impact other passengers ( less inventory, upgrades, etc) go right ahead.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:14 am

Smile

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If you are ok stealing then steal until you get caught. Don't pretend it's not stealing.
Yes, indeed, theft is theft.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SkyLich
How on earth would they ascertain intention?
It's inferred.

People have had their frequent flyer status revoked and even been sued by the airline for repeatedly engaging in this or similar conduct.
Originally Posted by BearX220
You could be taking a seat off the table when someone else in an emergency situation desperately needs it.
That's a stretch. The airlines assume some percentage of cancels - that's how overbooking occurs. And if the flight is full, the seat will go to a standby.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 8:24 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by psychtobe
is this considered kosher?

Say I have an upcoming flight on another airline ( like an award redemption on an airline that isn't AA or AS). No lounge access using my Citi Advantage MC. But if I buy a refundsble ticket for 2 hours later , check in, go to the club, then cancel, would that work?

it sounds kind of desperate and pathetic, I admit. I can live with desperate and pathetic. But if it's not kosher or viewed as truly gaming the system then we will respectfully abstain.
You should be able to do this and get away with it as long as you don't make it a habit. I personally would feel bad doing this as a) Alaska has always been very nice to me, b) it may harm other passengers who need the seat and c) the Alaska lounge isn't that nice.

As long you optimize your booking to have minimal disruption on others-- book an undersold flight and cancel as early as possible-- I wouldn't get as riled up as other members here. Yes "theft is theft" but there is very little food and beverage in the Alaska lounge worth stealing. I think the total cost to the airline would be under $10. It could possibly be nothing if it's the end of the day and the food would be thrown out anyway.

I personally would not do this but would not judge you negatively if you did so. Just don't make a habit of it.
Resplendent likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by psychtobe
during the pandemic my son was so sad about not traveling we bought two refundable one ways so we could wander around the airport for a while. then we left and refunded the tickets. no harm, no foul. is this different?
Was getting on a plane not an option then? Personally, I have no desired interest in airports (including lounges) but being in a plane is my home away from home, so to speak.

I am not in the general demo, but I flew like crazy during the past few years, especially due to some really cheap fares in 2020/2021.
VirtuousKangaroo likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm looking at the "no programs, so sad" under the OP's name. Maybe he's never been in an AS lounge before? We used to all the time when we had status and/or F tickets, but honestly I could care less now. I can buy a drink or food myself, if I want space and quiet, especially in PDX, there are often many unused at the moment gates where you can veg off by yourself. Of course if we ever got status back I'd be first at the door.

So even though I wouldn't do it, I do disagree that it would be taking a seat away from someone who needs it - on the contrary, I think it would elate the next person on the upgrade list.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's a stretch. The airlines assume some percentage of cancels - that's how overbooking occurs. And if the flight is full, the seat will go to a standby.
That is an inference, not a certainty, and in any event I see an ethical issue with "squatting" on resources you have no intention of actually using.
PlowJockey likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:28 am

First class refundable tickets on a flight 2100 miles or more last minute can cost quite alot even though you get your money back. I hope that when you bought tickets to wander in the airport with your son it was on a different airline. If that was on AS, I hope that you have flown a few times on AS before you try this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The twists and permutations some will make and take to save $50 or so is quite something, especially when the downside if something goes awry is not insubstantial. But back to the OP specifically? Kosher? No. Halal? Also no. Against the law? No. Against the T&C of the ticket you purchased and refunded along with the airline's general COC? Maybe.

On the the other hand, the opportunity to travel to, say, SFO, and pay a dollar every few minutes for parking, or no less than a near $20 BART fare in/out of the airport for the opportunity to eat on the finest of disposable china and drink out of the one-use crystal and eat a buffay of things so rare, you might only find them at Safeway, for "free," no less during a lounge visit, is priceless, or damn close to it!
Old Apr 11, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The twists and permutations some will make and take to save $50 or so is quite something, especially when the downside if something goes awry is not insubstantial. But back to the OP specifically? Kosher? No. Halal? Also no. Against the law? No. Against the T&C of the ticket you purchased and refunded along with the airline's general COC? Maybe.

On the the other hand, the opportunity to travel to, say, SFO, and pay a dollar every few minutes for parking, or no less than a near $20 BART fare in/out of the airport for the opportunity to eat on the finest of disposable china and drink out of the one-use crystal and eat a buffay of things so rare, you might only find them at Safeway, for "free," no less during a lounge visit, is priceless, or damn close to it!
He's flying on the same day on another airline, and just wants lounge access before that flight. He's not just joyriding around an airport for a few hours.
psychtobe likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by wyddfa
I think most people would argue that buying a first class ticket, getting hammered in the lounge on champagne and "free" food, then cancelling as boarding is called with no intention of ever flying is unacceptable even for FTers who game the system for points. The airline may rightly take a harsh view and cancel your FF membership.
Not that I am supportive of the OP, but a small yet material difference here should be called out -

What you've mentioned, and some other comments have shared news stories on, is accessing the lounge "paid for" by a First Class ticket and subsequently cancelling the ticket for refund.
OP's question, is to access the AS lounge "paid for" by their Admirals Club membership (as a benefit of their Citi AAdvantage Executive card) - though with a condition attached that they also have boarding pass for same-day travel on an eligible flight.

I see this much more in the gray area. Purchasing a ticket with no intend of traveling is obviously frowned upon by the airlines, and I agree that a pattern of doing this will lead to adverse actions from the airlines. But I don't see this as stealing as alleged by other commenters.
ashill and SkyLich like this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 10:09 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by hsumh316
First class refundable tickets on a flight 2100 miles or more last minute can cost quite alot even though you get your money back. I hope that when you bought tickets to wander in the airport with your son it was on a different airline. If that was on AS, I hope that you have flown a few times on AS before you try this.
Technically, AA Admiral Club or Oneworld Elite members get access to AS lounge when flying any AS, no? I believe this is his/her access qualification, not the First Class access method.

With that said, I wouldn't attempt to do this, knowing what I know about amenities within AS lounges. I think OP should rethink this.

Jiburi
Old Apr 11, 2023, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
He's flying on the same day on another airline, and just wants lounge access before that flight. He's not just joyriding around an airport for a few hours.
And that is why I had an "as to the OP specifically" clause, with the remainder of my babble spoken generally.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by jiburi
Technically, AA Admiral Club or Oneworld Elite members get access to AS lounge when flying any AS, no? I believe this is his/her access qualification, not the First Class access method.

With that said, I wouldn't attempt to do this, knowing what I know about amenities within AS lounges. I think OP should rethink this.

Jiburi
True, but then again if you had either AA Admirals club or one world elite, you wouldn't need to do all that work just to go a lounge that you have already been to and know what is in there.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 12:04 pm

I'm sure a one-time thing per year would be fine.
But I'm also quite sure that Alaska like all other airlines has a process running to flag any account who has done this more than 2-3 times in the last 12 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.