Wiki Posts
Search

First Year Being down from 75K to Gold

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2023, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
First Year Being down from 75K to Gold

I haven’t been Gold in probably a decade and I don’t remember all the innuendoes. Apparently I’m not allowed to select premium seats until three days out on discounted fares? When did this come into play? Can I still change award tickets at will without issue? Is SDC still an option? I feel stupid calling or asking about things I think I’m entitled to because I’m use to being 75k to find out I’m not. Is there anything else I should be aware of?
Old Apr 9, 2023, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Its always been three days for gold to select premium on non-qualifying fares. Yes you can still change tickets (awards and paid) whenever, you don't have to have elite status to do that and yes you can SDC.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 6:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I haven’t been Gold in probably a decade and I don’t remember all the innuendoes. Apparently I’m not allowed to select premium seats until three days out on discounted fares? When did this come into play? Can I still change award tickets at will without issue? Is SDC still an option? I feel stupid calling or asking about things I think I’m entitled to because I’m use to being 75k to find out I’m not. Is there anything else I should be aware of?
The Elite benefits are listed here. For Premium Class as an MVPG you need to be in fare class N or higher to select PC at booking without charge. You still have companion upgrades too to both Premium & First.

You may want to see how much an upfare is from the fare class booked to fare class N. How does that compare to the PC fee on your flight? You do have the option of waiting until T-72 to move yourself but you risk being in a position with only middle seats or no seats available in PC.

AS has recently monetized exit row seating. I am not sure if it is option for selection for MVPG at time of booking.

James
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS 100K
"AS has recently monetized exit row seating. I am not sure if it is option for selection for MVPG at time of booking."

As an MPV Gold, you can currently book an exit row seat for free at time of booking (G fare and up). You can attempt to move to PE at 72 hrs (some day going to 48 hrs to match AA), if it is available. I find row 17 to very comfortable for leg room (38" pitch) with a seat that reclines slightly but overhead is taken up with emergency equipment. You board category A, so overhead space should not be a problem forward of row 17.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by JayJ
"AS has recently monetized exit row seating. I am not sure if it is option for selection for MVPG at time of booking."

As an MPV Gold, you can currently book an exit row seat for free at time of booking (G fare and up). You can attempt to move to PE at 72 hrs (some day going to 48 hrs to match AA), if it is available. I find row 17 to very comfortable for leg room (38" pitch) with a seat that reclines slightly but overhead is taken up with emergency equipment. You board category A, so overhead space should not be a problem forward of row 17.
Thanks for the datapoint.

James
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:07 am

Programs: AS 75K
Basic MVP should allow for exit row booking. IIRC PC booking is instant for 75K, 48 hours for Gold and 24 hours for MVP. The benefits definitely fall off as status drops but for me just basic MVP is nice with exit row booking and elite bag drop. Gold doesn't move needle for me much. I'm either going to chase 75K or settle for MVP.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 10:15 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You may want to see how much an upfare is from the fare class booked to fare class N. How does that compare to the PC fee on your flight?

James
How do you check the “N” update cost? Is that simply just pricing a paid Premium seat, which is usually displayed on the seat chart (minus of course the cost of the original seat)? Or am I missing something. I’m a 75k but have had medical issues this year which has caused me to cancel over $7,000 in flights through June including a Euro trip in business on BA so I assume I will be down to Gold or MVP next year.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
How do you check the “N” update cost? Is that simply just pricing a paid Premium seat, which is usually displayed on the seat chart (minus of course the cost of the original seat)? Or am I missing something. I’m a 75k but have had medical issues this year which has caused me to cancel over $7,000 in flights through June including a Euro trip in business on BA so I assume I will be down to Gold or MVP next year.
Look for GGU fares by selecting Gold Guest Upgrade in the upgrade drop-down at the initial search or clicking the Gold Guest Upgrade radio button on the left of the search results. Since the lowest fare class a GGU can be applied to is N, it will show you the price in the upgrade column that would be eligible for an MVPG to select PC at booking. Compare that to what the fee is to purchase the PC seat upgrade with no status.

James
Waitlisted likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by mtofell
IIRC PC booking is instant for 75K, 48 hours for Gold and 24 hours for MVP.
Upgrades to PC for MVPG start at 72 hours, not 48 hours. Just remember if you are in an exit row (which is free for all elites as noted above) it won't automatically move you to a PC seat.
eponymous_coward and mtofell like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Bellerina
Upgrades to PC for MVPG start at 72 hours, not 48 hours. Just remember if you are in an exit row (which is free for all elites as noted above) it won't automatically move you to a PC seat.
Thanks for clarifying... Also, I always opt out of upgrade to PC by unchecking the box. The upgrade processor does all kinds of weird stuff (that ironically it says it won't do) like moving from window to aisle or, worse yet, a middle seat.
anteater and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 6:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Look for GGU fares by selecting Gold Guest Upgrade in the upgrade drop-down at the initial search or clicking the Gold Guest Upgrade radio button on the left of the search results. Since the lowest fare class a GGU can be applied to is N, it will show you the price in the upgrade column that would be eligible for an MVPG to select PC at booking. Compare that to what the fee is to purchase the PC seat upgrade with no status.

James
You can also just search for MVPG upgrade fares and look at the "premium class upgrade" column. The instant upgrade fares usually don't make sense any more unless you're using a companion fare, but I personally prefer having all the options on one page.
MapleLeaf93 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 7:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WrightHI
You can also just search for MVPG upgrade fares and look at the "premium class upgrade" column. The instant upgrade fares usually don't make sense any more unless you're using a companion fare, but I personally prefer having all the options on one page.
Yeah, I like the MVPG fare view because the requirement for an instant premium class upgrade as an MVPG is the same as the requirement for applying a GGU (ie. need to book into fare class N or greater). So the MVPG view gives you a complete view of the lowest cost to upgrade instantly to PC as an MVPG, upgrade instantly to F as an MVPG, upgrade to F using a GGU, or buy into F. And it also shows you how those prices compare against the lowest-cost non-saver Main (ie. Q, O, or G), so you can rationalize how much you're overpaying.
FenwayTim likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.