Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

7am dept.SJC- KOA arrive 9.25am - why so early?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby

Not trying to moan, but seriously trying to understand this timing.

This is a holiday route I assume.

So both the departure time (requiring getting up conservatively 4am maybe earlier depending on travel to SJC, and checking in etc) and
arriving at 9:25 am in KOA seems very "holiday unfriendly" considering most hotel check in times are 3pm. 6 hours to kill with luggage etc.

Again, really trying to understand why anyone would think this schedule is appropriate.

Thanks for any replies
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:18 pm

So AS can turn the flight around and get back to mainland in the early evening.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by olouie
Thanks for the reply,

I see your point but if it did a 1 hour turn around or even 2 hours , it would, with a 4hr run flight time ( jet stream assisted) + time difference be back at say 5 or 6pm?

If they went for a 7-8pm return it could leave and arrive at a more "holiday friendly" time.

Plus, don't forget how " holiday unfriendly" having to get up, check out etc, and be at the airport in KOA to catch a 10:30 or 11:30am flight is. Sad way to end a vacation, for me anyway.

Last edited by dayone; Mar 22, 2023 at 12:38 am Reason: Fix quote syntax.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:38 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by tattikat2
Not trying to moan, but seriously trying to understand this timing.

This is a holiday route I assume.

So both the departure time (requiring getting up conservatively 4am maybe earlier depending on travel to SJC, and checking in etc) and
arriving at 9:25 am in KOA seems very "holiday unfriendly" considering most hotel check in times are 3pm. 6 hours to kill with luggage etc.

Again, really trying to understand why anyone would think this schedule is appropriate.

Thanks for any replies
it’s for turn around

because of headwinds there is a buffer here on return flight and…say departure is for 11am local time back to west coast. That's 2/pm PT and 5 hrs has them land around 7 pm local PT. Then the plane could fly a coast route to a different city. You could add a buffer if the crew gets a break before return flight pushing it an hr or so later.

Programs: Yes
I love the early departures as it means I get to spend more time on the island, especially on a short trip. 🤙🏻🍹
formeraa, aquanine, zymm and 9 others like this.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is my favorite time for a west coast to Hawaii departure. You get the whole day in Hawaii. Anything else wastes a whole day traveling and has you paying for a night in the hotel (which is expensive in Hawaii) without getting to enjoy the day before it. I used to fly the OAK-OGG 7am flight all the time when it was offered and I used to live in SF.

Early morning flights westbound; red-eyes eastbound.

As for the check in problem, just pack your beachwear in a place where it is easily accessible, change when you get to to the hotel, and leave your bags at the bell desk until your room is ready. If you are at resort-type hotel, they will usually still let you use the facilities (pool or whatever) while you wait for your room. If not just head to the beach or wherever. Do you really need your hotel room at that time?
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K
The short answer is the airlines don't care about us having to wait to get into our hotels or wakeup early. They set routes and times to optimize crews and planes and, for whatever reason, early west coast to Hawaii flights is what they often do. Trust me, I feel your pain. I fly back and forth PDX>OGG 1-2X/month and it's a hassle. The only direct flight leaves PDX at 7AM which, as you say, means getting up at 4AM (1AM in Hawaii btw for an added kick in the teeth). The only direct going to PDX usually gets me in well after midnight and is often delayed. I recently arrived at PDX at 330AM. Good luck getting an Uber or friend/family to pick you up.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
I wouldn't mind it. Get up early and sleep on the plane, enjoy an extra (free) day in paradise. The worst is leaving SJC in the mid afternoon. I've almost missed more than one flight being stuck on De La Cruz due to never ending road construction and rush hour traffic.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Thanks for the reply,

I see your point but if it did a 1 hour turn around or even 2 hours , it would, with a 4hr run flight time ( jet stream assisted) + time difference be back at say 5 or 6pm?

If they went for a 7-8pm return it could leave and arrive at a more "holiday friendly" time.

Plus, don't forget how " holiday unfriendly" having to get up, check out etc, and be at the airport in KOA to catch a 10:30 or 11:30am flight is. Sad way to end a vacation, for me anyway.
Thousands of people do this every day. I've arrived to Hawaii on probably 100 trips prior to "scheduled check-in" time, and some of the time a room is available. Some of the time it is not. If the plane returns to the mainland early enough, it can also do a quick PDX or SEA hop from SJC, too.

And, believe it or not, not everyone on the plane is a tourist. Some might want to get home at a time to work a half day. This is not even to mention that for many, it is better to get to the airport (at least in the SFBA) prior to any morning traffic. I can get to SFO in 30 minutes while the traffic gods are shining brightly upon me, but if I've got a flight leaving between 7 and 9 (and even expand that range) from SFO, I'll be planning 2 hours for my trip to the airport, because of whatever might happen.

And on the return, is it sadder to walk in your door after midnight and have to get up for work at 6 or 7 AM the next day while still on HST (so 3 or 4 am) if the flight is later, or get up early on the last day of your trip? The way the Earth is designed, there's no great answer.

I've done it all, probably about 150 times, maybe a few less, maybe a few more.
QT31415, SFO777 and TheBeerHunter like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:45 pm

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
I don't know of any airline that asks, "What time would be most enjoyable or most convenient for the holiday travelers to depart and arrive?" in their flight scheduling meetings.

It's all about how many more hours that plane can be in the air (where it makes money) and not on the ground (where it doesn't make money).

Last edited by Red L; Mar 21, 2023 at 4:54 pm
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:47 pm

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The way the Earth is designed, there's no great answer.
LOL! Love that response! Makes me think of an awesome Cher song ("If I could turn back time.....").
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:51 pm

[QUOTE=tattikat2;35106283]
So AS can turn the flight around and get back to mainland in the early evening.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the reply,

But if they arrived at west coast at 7-8pm it likely means less plane utilization time. They can squeeze in a extra short hop or two or a transcon with this schedule.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K
[QUOTE=olouie;35106346]

But if they arrived at west coast at 7-8pm it likely means less plane utilization time. They can squeeze in a extra short hop or two or a transcon with this schedule.
Yeah, it's pretty common to have a flight land on the west coast around 7 or 8 (never seems to be going to PDX through....grrr) and then do a short hop along the west coast somewhere. I recently flew through SJC from OGG and it was the same plane up to PDX which was nice since I didn't have to worry about missing the connection.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
It’s also a leisure market with limited frequency. They figure they’re not losing revenue by getting the plane off to an early start during the day. Transcons on thicker routes often sell at lower prices at that time than 9/930a departures.
ashill likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:04 pm

[QUOTE=mtofell;35106390]

Yeah, it's pretty common to have a flight land on the west coast around 7 or 8 (never seems to be going to PDX through....grrr) and then do a short hop along the west coast somewhere. I recently flew through SJC from OGG and it was the same plane up to PDX which was nice since I didn't have to worry about missing the connection.
And if they land at 5 or 6 they get in two west coast hops instead of 1 :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.