Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Kiosks No Longer Able to Print Boarding Passes at Many Airports (LAS, PSP, et al.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2023, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Full list can be found at the following link by scrolling down or clicking the airport checking link at the top of the page.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ad...ter:advisories

As of 4/24/2023, kiosks have been removed at nine airports: Portland, Boise, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Missoula, Ontario, Palm Springs and Sitka.
Print Wikipost

Kiosks No Longer Able to Print Boarding Passes at Many Airports (LAS, PSP, et al.)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2023, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, AA, HiltonHonors

Hi all - I'm starting to come out of pandemic jail and get back in the air. I've flown once a couple months ago, but have been MVP/Gold pre-pandemic so I did get around a bit up until 2020. I just read a tiny little message on an AS webpage about the elimination of check-in kiosks at PSP, currently my home airport. This strikes me as somewhat scary, unless there is now a boatload of agents available for people who need help with check-in, bag check, etc. I realize that many/most people now check in online, but what about bag tags? Has anyone had an experience at PSP (or elsewhere) where kiosks have been eliminated, and if so, how well did it work? I'm in F class next weekend and will be checking a bag - hoping there isn't a big cluster at check-in. (Apologies if this is discussed elsewhere - I searched but couldn't find anything....)
Old Mar 19, 2023, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Are you referring to the self serve iPad tablet stations that AS is using and have replaced the old kiosks in some airports? My understanding is that you just use the tablet station in the same way that you used to use the kiosk. I always check in online and rarely check a bag so I haven't used any of them.
https://news.alaskaair.com/guest-exp...ilicon-valley/

Also see:
AS is Using SJC to Test New Airport Technologies
Old Mar 19, 2023, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi Jerry: I'm not sure if that's what I'm referring to or not! I messaged the AS people and asked about it. They said there is one tablet-style kiosk at PSP (for printing bag tags), and that's it. They didn't say whether this is similar to the SJC experience or not. Generally I don't check bags either, but I do on occasion. And I've occasionally had to print a boarding pass (such as when my phone battery is low, etc.). I've never enjoyed being a guinea pig though, and I'm a bit of a skeptic about this. I guess time will tell how this works. I'll report back, but I'm hoping that others who may have tried this will weigh in in the meantime.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by RetiredSFOATC
Hi Jerry: I'm not sure if that's what I'm referring to or not! I messaged the AS people and asked about it. They said there is one tablet-style kiosk at PSP (for printing bag tags), and that's it. They didn't say whether this is similar to the SJC experience or not. Generally I don't check bags either, but I do on occasion. And I've occasionally had to print a boarding pass (such as when my phone battery is low, etc.). I've never enjoyed being a guinea pig though, and I'm a bit of a skeptic about this. I guess time will tell how this works. I'll report back, but I'm hoping that others who may have tried this will weigh in in the meantime.
is PSP going through some sort of redesign? If so it’s possible this was done as part of those changes or alaska might move locations shortly.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djp98374
is PSP going through some sort of redesign? If so it’s possible this was done as part of those changes or alaska might move locations shortly.
I don't think there are immediate plans for a redesign/expansion, etc. The airport is just now starting to develop a master plan, but that won't even be ready to look at (much less start action) for a couple of years. I think this is strictly an AS decision. I will know more after I test this out, should be this weekend.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by RetiredSFOATC
I don't think there are immediate plans for a redesign/expansion, etc. The airport is just now starting to develop a master plan, but that won't even be ready to look at (much less start action) for a couple of years. I think this is strictly an AS decision. I will know more after I test this out, should be this weekend.
Were the kiosks AS-specific or multi-airline? (Just curious if they were one or the other, and switching at some point.)
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Were the kiosks AS-specific or multi-airline? (Just curious if they were one or the other, and switching at some point.)
Just AS. Each airline has their own... or, rather HAD their own (most still do...)!
Old Mar 21, 2023, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

New airport check-in experience

Beginning in spring 2023, our airport lobby kiosks will no longer be able to print boarding passes—this means you’ll need to check in and access your boarding passes through the Alaska Airlines mobile app or print them at home. If you’re checking bags before you fly, use our new digital self-service stations to print bag tags, add a bag, or pay for your checked baggage.

Updated airports:
Coming soon to:
James
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Ahhh... so this is what they meant by "lobby redesign". Just grocery store self checkout lanes for everyone,
RetiredSFOATC and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

New airport check-in experience

Beginning in spring 2023, our airport lobby kiosks will no longer be able to print boarding passes—this means you’ll need to check in and access your boarding passes through the Alaska Airlines mobile app or print them at home. If you’re checking bags before you fly, use our new digital self-service stations to print bag tags, add a bag, or pay for your checked baggage.

Updated airports: Coming soon to:James
Well, that's helpful, thanks James. Good to know that at an airport like LAS it's been operational... and, assuming that they would have fixed any major issues by now (!), perhaps things will go smoothly in PSP, which, although certainly smaller than LAS, still has a fairly prominent AS presence. Thanks again...
Old Mar 22, 2023, 5:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
About 5 weeks ago on a trip back up from PSP I got this email. I’ve been back and forth three times since and haven’t seen much of an issue. But it always seems most people at PSP check bags or clubs anyway.

RetiredSFOATC likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 5:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
I would imagine certain airports who have their own common use airline kiosks may maintain the ability for customers to print AS boarding passes through those, even if AS's own kiosks that can are removed.
jamiel and RetiredSFOATC like this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:42 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by Resplendent
I would imagine certain airports who have their own common use airline kiosks may maintain the ability for customers to print AS boarding passes through those, even if AS's own kiosks that can are removed.
except for the massive charge the airports & technology partners charge to access it.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Maybe I'm old school but even with the digital pass on my phone, I still prefer to have a regular sized paper boarding pass when I get to the airport.....maybe this will become a new elite "benefit"....all others would have to pay a paper boarding pass fee. I don't see how this is going to speed people any faster through the lobby especially if you end up having more people needing to see an agent at the ticket counter if they want a paper boarding pass....if anything it will take longer.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Maybe I'm old school but even with the digital pass on my phone, I still prefer to have a regular sized paper boarding pass when I get to the airport.....maybe this will become a new elite "benefit"....
I am old fashioned, too, I guess. I prefer to not have to pull out my phone three or four times and find the boarding pass (TSA, lounge, gate, potentially door of the plane depending on airline) when I could also have a little piece of paper in my pants pocket that has the same information. I, of course, still download the boarding pass and even take a screenshot, but primarily use the paper boarding pass.

But I guess we are going to see a significant decrease in AS fares due to these cost saving measures

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.