Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AA Irrops while on Alaska redemption ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2023, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle

Hello! I've got an upcoming trip from BDL to HNL. The first two legs are on AA and the final leg is on AS. It's a first class redemption through MileagePlan. Anyone know what happens in the event of irregular operations? Can AS rebook me onto other AA flights over the phone (and in first, if seats are open -- and on this point, would redemption buckets need to be open or is general availability enough)? Could AA do this? Could changes be made preemptively if an AA weather waiver is up? Would appreciate any insights you may have.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 4:10 pm
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
In general, the carrier that causes the disruption will be responsible for getting you to the destination in the class booked.

So, if it's a cancellation or delay on the day of travel, AA is responsible. If it's before then, e.g. a schedule change, you'd have to go through Alaska as they issued the ticket.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 1:15 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
Just pray for no IRROPS. My most recent experience on American was horrific, and for the first time in my life, I will be filing a DOT complaint about how they handled it.

simply put - if AA would have just given me a refund, I would’ve spent less money and had better flights and would have saved hundreds of dollars. They refused to do so, even on the portion that they caused the delay and couldn’t argue. The other portion they claimed weather, yet none of the airports involving my plane had weather issues.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by mikexner
Just pray for no IRROPS. My most recent experience on American was horrific, and for the first time in my life, I will be filing a DOT complaint about how they handled it.

simply put - if AA would have just given me a refund, I would’ve spent less money and had better flights and would have saved hundreds of dollars. They refused to do so, even on the portion that they caused the delay and couldn’t argue. The other portion they claimed weather, yet none of the airports involving my plane had weather issues.
Sadly airlines will claim weather etc now if anywhere on their network has issues citing crew issues or scheduling. No real accountability in the US.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Day-of-travel issues are on the operating carrier, so AA would be responsible for accommodating you should something go sideways with their flights. That said, as the ticketing carrier AS is capable of helping out, too, if they are so inclined, but generally cannot "force space" on AA equipment. So, to answer your question, were award space available, AS could make the change, but more than likely it will not be, so you will be at the mercy of AA. Pro Tip: if you need to reach AA, use the phone number you received with your 75K upgrade cert--that goes straight to the EXP desk.
ual744777sta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.