Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Mileage Requirement for Alaska Segment on Partner Award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Recently i have had issue with getting space appearing on the website on my PDX-SEA SEA-PDX flights for connecting flights to my Aer Lingus and BA flights on AS awards.

I see Alaska flights available for 9k and 11k for Y and 15k for F but i cannot book them online and agents refuse in most cases to add them to flights. This started happening when the 9k and 11k buckets started appearing on that route.

What is the mileage requirement for the Alaska segment to be added to a partner booking? In the past my rule of thumb was that it was available for 12.5k in Y and 25K in F i should be able to add those to for an example a BA itinerary, is that still the case?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
T class. Or E for First Class.
pcoll likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
How do I see the fare code on an award ticket? I only see them on revenue tickets.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I use this as my rule of thumb. So you are looking for 5,000/15,000 mile awards, but they still have to be in T/E class.

Or a similar chart from the AS site. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Just used ExpertFlyer, looks like T class appears at 9k, i couldn't find any E class despite the fact there were 12.5k awards available. Disappointing but thanks for the info.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by gobeavs8
Just used ExpertFlyer, looks like T class appears at 9k, i couldn't find any E class despite the fact there were 12.5k awards available. Disappointing but thanks for the info.
This is becoming a huge problem with AS international awards. No available space to get to an international hub.
pcoll and Speedbird84 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS
This is what I encountered when looking for AS segment to get to DEN for international award.
Cannot see fare class for AS domestic award segment. Even when I did dummy booking, no fare class noted.
Finally, got trial Expertflyer subscription to research T and E for for those days. T0 and E0 for those days.
I ended up buying SEA / DEN . Could change down the road….
Interesting side note…
Had to do emergency next day travel , fares were super high. Used miles to book Award F. Fare class for ticket was D.
No miles in account but curious why D fare.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
This is becoming a huge problem with AS international awards. No available space to get to an international hub.
Been a big problem with AA awards too. Welcome to OneWorld.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by mangoMan
Been a big problem with AA awards too. Welcome to OneWorld.
I did have a situation with an Alaska award on AA that was interesting. Trying to book American EZE-DFW-SEA but there was never any DFW-SEA space. I went ahead and booked an award ticket for EZE-DFW and put an expert flyer alert on T space for DFW-SEA. A few days later I got an EF notification that T space had opened on American, but it did not show up on the Alaska site as available. I called in and they were manually able to see the open space and added it to my reservation.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I did have a situation with an Alaska award on AA that was interesting. Trying to book American EZE-DFW-SEA but there was never any DFW-SEA space. I went ahead and booked an award ticket for EZE-DFW and put an expert flyer alert on T space for DFW-SEA. A few days later I got an EF notification that T space had opened on American, but it did not show up on the Alaska site as available. I called in and they were manually able to see the open space and added it to my reservation.
Thanks for sharing this info! I didn't know it's possible to add a segment when the space opens up. I am trying to book YYC-SEA-LAX but only SEA-LAX is available. I checked EF and unfortunately the inventory is zeroed out for T/E on the YYC-SEA. I guess I will just start my trip from SEA.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 12:33 pm

so, has anyone score any of the nonstop 'saver' domestic these days (T class for economy, E class for first) as a tagged on to / from AS award international flights?
having difficulty getting one for the summer months (fri/sat/sun)
maybe it's too far out so AS still trying to sell them as rev
Old Apr 17, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
so, has anyone score any of the nonstop 'saver' domestic these days (T class for economy, E class for first) as a tagged on to / from AS award international flights?
Too far out? Summer is two month away! AS is likely selling awards on any flight that will get you to the gateway, just not at the saver level that can be combined; those will have been booked many months ago it there was any availability. The dynamic prices on any awards won't be getting any cheaper as it gets closer to summer.

I was recently looking at HNL-SEA-JFK and F awards were 75K per segment; 150K total. Yet, looking at JFK-TYO later in the year there are options with an AS transcon to the Western gateway in AS F.

I would be looking at a seperate award or revenue ticket this late in the game if you haven't already secured something.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Apr 17, 2023 at 11:41 pm
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:33 pm

[QUOTE=Flying for Fun;35178100]
maybe it's too far out so AS still trying to sell them as rev[/QUOTE]

Too far out? Summer is two month away! AS is likely selling awards on any flight that will get you to the gateway, just not at the saver level that can be combined; those will have been booked many months ago it there was any availability. The dynamic prices on any awards won't be getting any cheaper as it gets closer to summer.

I was recently looking at HNL-SEA-JFK and F awards were 75K per segment; 150K total. Yet, looking at JFK-TYO later in the year there are options with an AS transcon to the Western gateway in AS F.

I would be looking at a seperate award or revenue ticket this late in the game if you haven't already secured something.

James
yeah I am also thinking of purchasing it as rev flights. still abt 4 months away for me though since it is tail end of summer but saver rev is good price now

the AS agent told me to check in again on the saver domestic award at 10 weeks before flight

decisions decisions
Old May 19, 2023, 5:07 pm

i called up AS today, bc i found a 'saver' domestic fare today

AS refuses to add this domestic leg to my existing international award flight

according to the agent i spoke to, in order to do an update like that, i need both my international legs and domestic legs to be available at this moment in time as a contiguous award ticket. all of us know that is unlikely since the international award seat is long gone. but my question is is the agent right for saying this? is this the new AS policy?
Old May 20, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
i called up AS today, bc i found a 'saver' domestic fare today

AS refuses to add this domestic leg to my existing international award flight

according to the agent i spoke to, in order to do an update like that, i need both my international legs and domestic legs to be available at this moment in time as a contiguous award ticket. all of us know that is unlikely since the international award seat is long gone. but my question is is the agent right for saying this? is this the new AS policy?
Similar thing happened to one of my itineraries. I had a schedule change on a domestic segment on a return from Italy, creating an 8 hour layover in SEA instead of a 1.5 hr layover. Agent told me she could not rebook the domestic segment without rebooking the whole thing. Worried that I might lose my J seat on the international flight, I just purchased the domestic segment I wanted with cash. I did ask for a "partner desk lead agent", who told me the same thing, but was also confused about a few basic OW questions I asked her. It's really difficult to know what is truth and what is ignorance with some of these agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.