Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld redemption (CX+AY)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2023, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Oneworld redemption (CX+AY)

Hi,
Trying to book an award ticket SIN-HEL in J for later this year. There is no availability on the direct AY flight to HEL, but I can see availability on CX SIN-HKG & AY HKG-HEL. I can price this as one ticket on American (CX + AY) but not on Alaska. Any chance the partner desk would be able to ticket this over the phone?

Mods, feel free to move the most appropriate thread if needed. Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2023, 1:30 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi,
Trying to book an award ticket SIN-HEL in J for later this year. There is no availability on the direct AY flight to HEL, but I can see availability on CX SIN-HKG & AY HKG-HEL. I can price this as one ticket on American (CX + AY) but not on Alaska. Any chance the partner desk would be able to ticket this over the phone?

Mods, feel free to move the most appropriate thread if needed. Thanks!
You can't combine partners on AS. You can have one partner plus AS but not two partners on a single AS award.

Last edited by Finkface; Jan 31, 2023 at 1:37 am
Old Jan 31, 2023, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Yes, I also talked to Alaska's partner desk earlier today and got the same response.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Hi again, couple of follow up questions: 1. is it possible to travel through HKG on separate tickets at the moment? 2. Would CX check through luggage onto AY with separate tickets?
Old Jan 31, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hi again, couple of follow up questions: 1. is it possible to travel through HKG on separate tickets at the moment? 2. Would CX check through luggage onto AY with separate tickets?
No covid restrictions in HK for a few weeks now. As for the transfer, if your next flight is CX during peak time, CX transfer desk was staffed when I was there earlier in the month, but I don't see any other transfer counters had any staff.
Not sure about the through bags.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: Tribe 54 Sweat Lodge 12
simonsuo as long as he doesn't pass through immigration/enter the country*. If he does, airline will likely ask for the required testing doc. There was an AA thread of someone being denied boarding tickets at the counter related to this.
Cathay seems to indicate you can check baggage through, on whatever "interline" partner means. So maybe you can just stay airside.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Ok, thanks for the clarification!
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by beamerbenzbentli
simonsuo as long as he doesn't pass through immigration/enter the country*. If he does, airline will likely ask for the required testing doc. There was an AA thread of someone being denied boarding tickets at the counter related to this.
Cathay seems to indicate you can check baggage through, on whatever "interline" partner means. So maybe you can just stay airside.
The good thing is the pre testing required can be a RAT and you just write your name and date and take a photo of it. This requires vaccination.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by olouie
The good thing is the pre testing required can be a RAT and you just write your name and date and take a photo of it. This requires vaccination.
That seems way too easy. Can I just take a test today and write my travel date later this year?
Old Feb 5, 2023, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
That seems way too easy. Can I just take a test today and write my travel date later this year?
looks like the test is required but the formal declaration is not - press release below linked in the US Consulate General HK webpage...

I did the form for my flight HND-HKG 3 weeks ago but nobody asked for it before/after the flight. Assume it's randomly checked now.

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...2122800773.htm

Standardising pre-departure testing requirements
--------------------------------------

All inbound persons (aged three or above on the date of arrival at Hong Kong), regardless of being from the Mainland, Macao, Taiwan or overseas places, are required to conduct an RAT within 24 hours, or undergo a polymerase chain reaction-based nucleic acid test within 48 hours, prior to the scheduled time of flight departure (for those entering Hong Kong via the airport) or the scheduled time of arrival at Hong Kong (for those entering Hong Kong via other boundary control points), and obtain a negative result for entering Hong Kong. Upon receiving the test results, relevant persons should keep the photos showing the test results or the test report for 90 days for presentation for checking on request by Government personnel. They may also voluntarily declare the test result via the Department of Health's electronic health declaration form.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I transited in HKG on 2 separate tickets in early Dec 2022, First flight CX NRT-HKG; transit in HKG was less than 24 hours; then MH HKG-KUL. My luggage check through from NRT to KUL without any problem.

Based on my experience, I don't think you will have any problem.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:04 am

Regarding the through-check of baggage, CX do honour and through-check separate oneworld tickets provided your travel is starting with CX. AS, QR, MH, UL, JL also through-check separate oneworld tickets.

However, if it’s BA, AA, IB, AY (though they do when it’s AY-AY) or QF (they also do QF-QF and QF-oneworld if the latter oneworld is an award booking), then the answer’s no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.