Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Award Ticket Question (reissue, change of cabins, waitlisting, & fees)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2023, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.

Dropped down to MVP and trying to book 2 award seats to HKG in the Fall, but only Economy and Premium Economy are available on the CX nonstops to/from the west coast right now.

If we book Economy or Premium Economy now and Business or First becomes available later, does that trigger the partner award booking fee again or just the increase in # of miles needed?

What if we book Business right now on JAL with a CX connection in NRT and later change to the nonstop on CX if Business or First becomes available? Does that trigger another partner award booking fee? Does the difference in taxes get refunded?

And finally, if Business is available only on the SFO-NRT segment on JAL and only Economy is available on NRT-HKG on CX right now, if I book that do they allow waitlisting for a higher cabin? Or do I just need to monitor it and call in if it becomes available? Assuming no reissue fees or partner award booking fees for that, correct?

I remember at United any change of airlines or to a cabin of service would trigger a ticket reissue (and a fee back then) so was wondering how it works with Mileage Plan partner award tickets.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 10:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
Changing class/flights/routing requires the tickets to be re-issued, but there is no additional fee - only the difference in miles/taxes. You can't waitlist for a higher class on the partner award segments, so you'll have to call in or modify it yourself online. You can be waitlisted for first on any domestic segments on AS flights before/after the partner segments.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Do they refund the taxes, passenger facility fees, etc. if you change from a connection to a nonstop that results in lower taxes?
jdhnyc likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
Yes, you’d get a refund if the new flight had cheaper taxes/fees.
jdhnyc likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
If you book JL and CX, it’s two separate awards.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
If you book JL and CX, it’s two separate awards.
Properly speaking you can, if it’s a round trip with JL or CX outbound and the other airline inbound.

What you CAN’T do is book JL to NRT then CX to HKG on the same one way award. Not happening. AS allows one and only one partner in conjunction with AS on a one way award.

The wiki for CX awards covers some of this, OP.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...023-later.html
Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Is it possible to change partners award ticket from one way to round trip? Can I mix Korean Airline on the outbound flight and JAL on the inbound flight?
Old Jan 30, 2024, 7:20 am

Just wanna asking if it is possible to change online for an qantas domestic business award (book through alaska mileage online) online or the only way to change is to call alaska airlines hotline?
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Should be possible to change online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.