Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

GEG - Seattle Transit time question pls [AS to BA]

Old Jan 22, 23, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: avios

Hi - I'm flying with my wife and 2 young kids from GEG (Spokane) on Alaska Airlines to Seattle International to then take BA flight to LFR (Club). I land at Seattle on Alaska at 1711 and Club BA flight leaves Seattle at 2000 is this enough time to collect bags I assuem at Concourse C and go to the satellite check in BA desk and get through security?

Other option is arriving at Seattle at 1541.

TIA :-)
Old Jan 22, 23, 6:13 am

You shouldnt need to grab you bags in SEA so youll have plenty of time to make your connection as the AS check in agent at GEG should be able to check your bags through to LHR as BA and AS are partners.

As an example I was recently on a AS award ticket SEA-LAX (Overnight)-HND on AS and JAL and it took manual intervention to not through check our bags all the way to Japan.

It sounds like youre mixing up the process for departure and arrival as if you were flying the reverse and SEA was your first point of entry back in the US then youd need to grab your bags, go through customs, recheck them to GEG, and finally transit back through security so the longer connection time would be important, but on the way over to LHR/out of the US youll be fine.
JPG3392 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Harpsuk1, as this is an AS to BA question, we'll relocate this to the AS forum.

Agree, AS *should* be able to tag this through to LHR. Was this one ticket? Avoids collecting baggage and reclearing TSA (can be quite some time these days in SEA)

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Yesterday, 11:43 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
If you're on one ticket, this is very easy and 2:49 is a ton of time. Even if it's separate tickets, Alaska policy still allows through checking to the partner airline (unlike, for example, American Airlines). In fact, they'll even base the checked bag fee on the allowance on your international ticket, so you shouldn't have to pay the Alaska bag fee (if one normally applies to you).
Travel that includes multiple airlines or tickets
If your travel includes multiple tickets, and/or travel on more than one airline, your baggage fees and rules may be determined by the other airline. Please check your ticket, or call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 to help determine which airline rules and fees apply to your journey.

When making international connections on a separate ticket to other airlines within twelve (12) hours of arriving in the connection city, you may follow the baggage allowance and weight restrictions of the international airline - provided a ticketing and baggage agreement is in place between Alaska Airlines and the other carrier.
Given that, I'd be comfortable with far less than 2:49 minutes in Seattle. You may have to go to the BA gate to get your BA boarding pass (if you can't get it online), but you won't have to leave the secure area. You'll almost certainly need to go to a human rather than the kiosk to check the bag at GEG if you're on separate tickets, so I'd allow a few minutes extra time at GEG. I haven't done this (check from an AS outstation to a long haul ticket on a separate carrier) in several years, but when I last did (a decade ago) it was totally routine and the Alaska/Horizon check-in staff were efficient. Have a printout of your connecting long haul ticket.

Search this Thread