Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS in PDX - You Left Us; We Didn't Leave You!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS in PDX - You Left Us; We Didn't Leave You!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Preach PDXPremier
Old Jun 21, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
If Alaska were the same as other airlines they would be flying only to their hubs with schedules substantially cut back during winter months.
That part really makes no sense as AS is the only airline which calls PDX a hub. That said, both sides have fair points. AS has put all of their eggs in the SEA basket and that doesn't work for some people based in PDX where other airlines--even those with more limited options--still provide access to a wider network. Others may not mind AS's more limited network or don't mind connecting in SEA. If AS no longer has the flights one needs, move on to an airline that works better. It will be a while before AS has enough planes to make any significant adds outside of SEA.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
...The price difference between PDX-SEA-MCI vs SEA-MCI was so great this fall that I'm actually going to drive to SEA.
Over driving, I prefer taking Amtrak from Tukwila if I end up in SEA instead of PDX. My parents moved to Vancouver, WA after retirement, though, so getting picked up at the little train station there is easy for where I want to end up. I can see how that wouldn't be as convenient for people in Portland's other suburbs.

I find it outrageous that SeaTac taxi drivers don't necessarily know how to find the Amtrak station, however! Now I only use Lyft to get between the two.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
That part really makes no sense as AS is the only airline which calls PDX a hub. That said, both sides have fair points. AS has put all of their eggs in the SEA basket and that doesn't work for some people based in PDX where other airlines--even those with more limited options--still provide access to a wider network. Others may not mind AS's more limited network or don't mind connecting in SEA. If AS no longer has the flights one needs, move on to an airline that works better. It will be a while before AS has enough planes to make any significant adds outside of SEA.
It makes complete sense. PDX has wide fluctuations in seasonal demand and has seen slower recovery in traffic than most markets - with 2022 still down 29% from 2019.

AS' market share in PDX has ticket up slightly since 2019 as it has reduced capacity less than other airlines at PDX.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
https://www.kptv.com/2023/05/23/port...zeHyyjoGxVWTUk
Old Jun 24, 2023, 5:48 pm

Programs: Alaska, United, Hawaiian, Delta (canceled)
Most big cities are losing people. When someone moves out of Portland to Sherwood, they're still in the Portland metro area.

f you think Portland is bad, go to San Francisco, Oakland, Chicago (55 shootings in one weekend), etc. etc.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by noflysea
Most big cities are losing people. When someone moves out of Portland to Sherwood, they're still in the Portland metro area.

f you think Portland is bad, go to San Francisco, Oakland, Chicago (55 shootings in one weekend), etc. etc.
The movement is not from Portland to the burbs. It is from Portland to Central Oregon, Florida, Tennessee, Texas, etc. AS planning and strategy team sees this and the weak demand which has led to the de-hubbing as of late.

Sadly, we have witnessed a pretty staggering self destruction of the PDX metro area. We fled after 15 years there. In its prime, Portland was a top 20 world city.
mtofell likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DuckFlyer
The movement is not from Portland to the burbs. It is from Portland to Central Oregon, Florida, Tennessee, Texas, etc. AS planning and strategy team sees this and the weak demand which has led to the de-hubbing as of late.

Sadly, we have witnessed a pretty staggering self destruction of the PDX metro area. We fled after 15 years there. In its prime, Portland was a top 20 world city.
The metro area population isn't shrinking - it's growing more slowly than in the past, and effectively stable at about 2.2M. That's not a huge population base to drive a lot of O/D traffic. If SEA is working as a hub then it's probably hard to justify routing a lot of the hub activity through PDX except for spokes that reliably fill planes.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 7:29 pm

In its prime, Portland was a top 20 world city.
Huh?
Old Jun 25, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: MVPGold 75K

who would really like to live in Florida or Texas.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by felicidad76
who would really like to live in Florida or Texas.
Judging by actual demographic numbers (you know, actual data...) it turns out to be quite a lot actually...

Regards
F9LASDEN likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Judging by actual demographic numbers (you know, actual data...) it turns out to be quite a lot actually...

Regards
of course, people move. I lived in Florida for 5 years, but west coast is just so much nicer, despite some issues currently going on.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by felicidad76
of course, people move. I lived in Florida for 5 years, but west coast is just so much nicer, despite some issues currently going on.
That, of course is a matter of opinion, not a matter of fact.

Perhaps we could just stick the topic of this thread, eh?

Regards
Old Jun 25, 2023, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Port of Portland data show that PDX passenger numbers are up about 14% year over year.

https://cdn.portofportland.com/pdfs/...cs%20(PDF).pdf
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach
Port of Portland data show that PDX passenger numbers are up about 14% year over year.

https://cdn.portofportland.com/pdfs/...cs%20(PDF).pdf
this is positive development

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.