Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PSC/EUG Getting 737s

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:44 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
This sounds weird to me. I live in Eugene and fly out of EUG 8-10 times a year at least. With the addition of Southwest and other carriers, A gates (with jet bridges) are hard to come by. The B-gates that Alaska/Horizon fly out of are tarmac boarding. I doubt they would ground board a 737 even if it fit into the B-gates so that mean A gates. I guess time will tell.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Klrduks
This sounds weird to me. I live in Eugene and fly out of EUG 8-10 times a year at least. With the addition of Southwest and other carriers, A gates (with jet bridges) are hard to come by. The B-gates that Alaska/Horizon fly out of are tarmac boarding. I doubt they would ground board a 737 even if it fit into the B-gates so that mean A gates. I guess time will tell.
That's my point. Everyone will be upstairs, and no one will be downstairs.

There's no "fitting into" the B Gates, they just sit outside. And it's very rare there is more than one AS plane there at a time. And back in the day (honestly I'm that old), plenty of airports ground boarded big planes - even Air Force One to this day! They do have these huge switchback ramp things, so they'll probably use those.

My bigger concern is who wants to wait for 200+ people to amble onto and off a plane for a 50 minute jaunt - most of us are headed to SEA to make somewhat tight connections. And talk about no service "because of turbulence" before, there will never, ever be any service (except in F of course).
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:07 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Have I missed where they have the 737s scheduled for anything other than LAX? (ex EUG, I mean)
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by mildfrequence
Have I missed where they have the 737s scheduled for anything other than LAX? (ex EUG, I mean)
I've got a flight from EUG to SEA on May 6 and a return on May 13, both on 737s.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
That's my point. Everyone will be upstairs, and no one will be downstairs.

There's no "fitting into" the B Gates, they just sit outside. And it's very rare there is more than one AS plane there at a time. And back in the day (honestly I'm that old), plenty of airports ground boarded big planes - even Air Force One to this day! They do have these huge switchback ramp things, so they'll probably use those.

My bigger concern is who wants to wait for 200+ people to amble onto and off a plane for a 50 minute jaunt - most of us are headed to SEA to make somewhat tight connections. And talk about no service "because of turbulence" before, there will never, ever be any service (except in F of course).
I guess they could drop the flight completely and send it over to a city that's been reduced to 1x or 2x? Personally I'd trade a drink worth a couple of bucks and some extra boarding time in order to have more flexibility in flight schedule.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
Originally Posted by Calculon
I guess they could drop the flight completely and send it over to a city that's been reduced to 1x or 2x? Personally I'd trade a drink worth a couple of bucks and some extra boarding time in order to have more flexibility in flight schedule.
This is something I've been moaning about since the Q200s were retired. My work took me occasionally to some of the smaller outstations such as ALW and more often to medium places like YEG, YYC, YLW, YYJ, and several places in Montana. When the Q400s replaced the Q200s, QX maintained a similar amount of lift from these cities by reducing frequency. I guess some of the outstations (looking at you, PUW) might be low yield college towns, but others are full of businessfolk traveling on expensive tickets. If the only choice is once a day, sometimes the solution is just to drive. That can't be good for business, and I would guess it can become a vicious circle. The worse the service gets, the poorer the remaining flights might perform.
ashill and smantl01 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 4:50 pm

Actually, I'm (I think) remembering something....back when they had the shuttles between SEA and PDX (do they still run them?), weren't some of those flights on 737's? I seem to recall thinking the same thing - who wants to wait for that big bird to fill up then empty out.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Actually, I'm (I think) remembering something....back when they had the shuttles between SEA and PDX (do they still run them?), weren't some of those flights on 737's? I seem to recall thinking the same thing - who wants to wait for that big bird to fill up then empty out.
Seattle-Portland and Seattle-Spokane are both shuttle routes. 737s have been a thing there for a while. My personal experience is that theyre fine.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 5:40 pm

I guess it makes sense to run them on busy routes where the little birds routinely were full with waitlists. I'm sure they didn't go out half empty.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Calculon
Seattle-Portland and Seattle-Spokane are both shuttle routes. 737s have been a thing there for a while. My personal experience is that they’re fine.
Not a big deal, but I prefer the E175s for SEA-PDX shuttle flights if I am in F since you are almost guaranteed beverage service on those flights whereas the mainline flights are almost always no service in F. I've never understood the discrepancy between the Horizon and Alaska mainline on this shuttle route.
ACBLtd likes this.

Last edited by PDXPremier; Jan 19, 2023 at 10:31 pm
Old Jan 19, 2023, 8:41 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by rustykettel
If memory serves me, one of the B gates had a jet bridge that was removed years ago.
Found it in one of the airport's planning docs. Two of the four B gates had jet bridges but were removed.

Originally Posted by Chugach
Last time I flew out of EUG (several years ago) we boarded from the A gates even though it was a Q400. Not sure why.
Jet bridge was added to A1 in 2021. Prior to that it was the only A gate with ground boarding. Maybe boarded from that one? Although AS did do jet bridge boarding for the Q at FAI.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Not a big deal, but I prefer the E175s for SEA-PDX shuttle flights if I am in F since you are almost guaranteed beverage on those flights whereas the mainline flights are almost always no service in F. I've never understood the discrepancy between the Horizon and Alaska mainline on this shuttle route.
With lounge access at both ends I can't bring myself to care whether I get a drink on such a short flight.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
So who's going to be on the inaugural 737 flight to EUG??
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by ACBLtd
This is something I've been moaning about since the Q200s were retired. My work took me occasionally to some of the smaller outstations such as ALW and more often to medium places like YEG, YYC, YLW, YYJ, and several places in Montana. When the Q400s replaced the Q200s, QX maintained a similar amount of lift from these cities by reducing frequency. I guess some of the outstations (looking at you, PUW) might be low yield college towns, but others are full of businessfolk traveling on expensive tickets. If the only choice is once a day, sometimes the solution is just to drive. That can't be good for business, and I would guess it can become a vicious circle. The worse the service gets, the poorer the remaining flights might perform.
ALW, EAT and YKM are all at 1x for what looks like all of 2023 which seems almost useless. My PUW is down to 3x and it looks like all the other Horizon stations are down a flight or two as well. We just got used to the 5x frequency as we had pre-pandemic, then poo. I see some rebound in the schedules this fall, except for those central WA stations, but this stinks. Any word on why they did that?
smantl01 and ACBLtd like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ACBLtd
This is something I've been moaning about since the Q200s were retired. My work took me occasionally to some of the smaller outstations such as ALW and more often to medium places like YEG, YYC, YLW, YYJ, and several places in Montana. When the Q400s replaced the Q200s, QX maintained a similar amount of lift from these cities by reducing frequency.
Originally Posted by mattime
ALW, EAT and YKM are all at 1x for what looks like all of 2023 which seems almost useless. My PUW is down to 3x and it looks like all the other Horizon stations are down a flight or two as well. We just got used to the 5x frequency as we had pre-pandemic, then poo. I see some rebound in the schedules this fall, except for those central WA stations, but this stinks. Any word on why they did that?
Yeah. SEA-YLW is down to 5x weekly in March and April. The more frequent schedule on the Q200s was so much nicer, although there's no way it would be viable when pilots are a limiting factor in the schedule they can fly. Ever since they dropped the Q200s, connections to the east coast from YLW/EAT (the airports I know best) have often been difficult or impossible. (What really drives me crazy is when, eg, YLW-SEA-BOS almost works but is four minutes under the minimum connection time.) So I am all in favour of E75 stations getting 737s and freeing up E75s for smaller former-Q400/Q200 stations!
smantl01 and ACBLtd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.