Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Complimentary upgrades on AA for all elite statuses are now in effect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald

I went to check something on an upcoming AA flight for my MVP bf and saw this at the top of the record locator:

"​​​​​​We requested your upgrade.Alaska elite members get complimentary upgrades on American. For upgrade status you can check back here or at the airport."

I went into the app and sure enough the upgrade button was there (it wasn't when we booked the ticket).

My question now, is how will the upgrades be prioritized? Currently there doesn't seem to be any distinction between 75k and 100k. I've always assumed this is because the AA system goes off the One World Emerald status. If that's the case, Golds and MVPs should fall behind Emeralds and be upgraded in that order.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
My best guess is:

ConciergeKey
EX Plats
Plat Pros
ALASKA MVP 100K/75K
Platinum
ALASKA MVP GOLD
Gold
ALASKA MVP

But just a guess based on corresponding OneWorld Tiers
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Live on my BOS-DFW-SNA trip booked for March 30 as a Gold.
SeaLuggageLover likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Does anyone think an MVP or even an MVP Gold will ever see an upgrade??
Old Jan 13, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: Yes
I haven’t been keeping up on this, but.. do AA elites of all levels now also get waitlisted for upgrades on AS?

If so, I foresee an increase in frustration for non-top tier elites seeing additional pax above them.
ssk244 and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anteater
I haven’t been keeping up on this, but.. do AA elites of all levels now also get waitlisted for upgrades on AS?

If so, I foresee an increase in frustration for non-top tier elites seeing additional pax above them.
That I don't know, but if it isn't, I imagine it will be right around the corner. It doesn't make sense that AA would offer this benefit to AS elites unless it was going to be reciprocated. And yes, that does mean that Golds and MVPs will find themselves further down the wait list.
anteater and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
That I don't know, but if it isn't, I imagine it will be right around the corner. It doesn't make sense that AA would offer this benefit to AS elites unless it was going to be reciprocated. And yes, that does mean that Golds and MVPs will find themselves further down the wait list.
Luckily I don’t think Golds will be farther down the WL.

They have already been behind American OWE (Ex Plats and Plat Pros).

I think the American OWS (Plats) would be behind MVPG but ahead of MVP’s — leading to MVP’s being the ones affected
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bballfan28
Luckily I don’t think Golds will be farther down the WL.

They have already been behind American OWE (Ex Plats and Plat Pros).

I think the American OWS (Plats) would be behind MVPG but ahead of MVP’s — leading to MVP’s being the ones affected
That makes sense - I'll bet you're right.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by anteater

Gary Leff wrote about this yesterday and it seems the answer is yes...

"American And Alaska Airlines Expand Elite Upgrades"
https://viewfromthewing.com/american...lite-upgrades/

Regards
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:08 pm

Looks like American has updated their website (Alaska has not yet). MVP’s get the devalue…since nothing changes with the order of upgrades MVPG and higher.
anteater and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SF1K
My AA Gold friend has seen decent luck with upgrades on transcons and some other routes (e.g. LAX/SEA, DFW/MCO, MIA/BOS), so considering that MVPG are higher priority than AA Gold there seems to be a decent chance at upgrades for MVPG.
Bballfan28, mildfrequence and SF1K like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, Avis Presidents Club, Life Member VFW Post 10029

Looks like American has updated their website (Alaska has not yet). MVP’s get the devalue…since nothing changes with the order of upgrades MVPG and higher.
Tablets? Quilted blankets on longer flights? Dated information unless I missed something.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by SF1K
Yes, in certain markets and at certain times. I think this policy benefits AA elites a lot more than Alaska elites tho.

As a nonrev, I could get First on Alaska on flights on Tuesdays and Wednesdays (except around 5pm flights), Saturday evenings, etc. pretty easily, so these seats will go to AA upgraders first now.

If you want to know the answer to your question, I'd recommend asking someone on the AA forum who nonrevs regularly on them to get an idea. I only nonreved on them occasionally and First was always full with a big waitlist (same at United and Delta). But I'm sure there are some markets where that doesn't happen.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Very happy about this. Have flights on AA metal soon to DFW and MSN and shows upgrade requested on my reservation.

When I was AA PLAT I was probably around 60% for upgrades? But that was when you needed stickers. I expect maybe as MVP Gold could see 30-50% but really depends on route/time of day. One route that I hear is notoriously easy is LAXBOS because AA flies it with way too many premium seats so they can have lie flat product.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
alphaeagle did find updates to AS' site today:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...elite-benefits

Originally Posted by Crazy Dave
Tablets? Quilted blankets on longer flights? Dated information unless I missed something.
Tablets are gone. Blankets do exist on some premium transcontinental routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.