Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Class of service on positioning flight(s)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Class of service on positioning flight(s)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I am on my first 3 AS flights tomorow. PHX-SEA-LAS-JFK to position for a DE award starting in New York. All three segments confirmed in F with a single GGU each on a companion certificate. The existing itinerary is very much removed from what I booked originally.

When I booked the Condor award JFK-FRA//FRA-CPT I couldn't find any award space from PHX to JFK to combine so I repositioned us on my own.

I have successfully booked many transcons to and from gateways for awards. This one didn't pan out. C'est la Vie.

The consolation prise is earning 3 segments towards requalification.

James
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by lensovet
Well, I'm seeing 30k redemptions for this route on 1/21, 1/24, 1/25 (direct), and a bunch of availability with stops on 1/26, as an example. So perhaps looking closer in is the ticket?
January isn’t November. It’s likely that this availability has been around for a while.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I am on my first 3 AS flights tomorow. PHX-SEA-LAS-JFK to position for a DE award starting in New York. All three segments confirmed in F with a single GGU each on a companion certificate. The existing itinerary is very much removed from what I booked originally.

When I booked the Condor award JFK-FRA//FRA-CPT I couldn't find any award space from PHX to JFK to combine so I repositioned us on my own.

I have successfully booked many transcons to and from gateways for awards. This one didn't pan out. C'est la Vie.

The consolation prise is earning 3 segments towards requalification.

James
You can use a GGU to confirm in F on AA for LAS-JFK? Or AS is flying LAS-JFK? News to me… but I know what you mean, I was able to confirm with a GGU on SEA-JFK last month for January myself.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
AS apparently has a couple of one-off CES flights (there’s also LAS-IAD which was originally tempting for my SEA-DC trip)
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
January isn’t November. It’s likely that this availability has been around for a while.

You can use a GGU to confirm in F on AA for LAS-JFK? Or AS is flying LAS-JFK? News to me… but I know what you mean, I was able to confirm with a GGU on SEA-JFK last month for January myself.
Originally Posted by jrl767
AS apparently has a couple of one-off CES flights (there’s also LAS-IAD which was originally tempting for my SEA-DC trip)
Correct, there was an AS one-off JFK-LAS on Jan 4th and an AS one-off LAS-JFK on January 8th. I noticed that a while back but didn't equate it to CES in Vegas.

I was originally flying PHX-SEA(U)-JFK(U) but noticed 2U SEA-PDX & 2U PDX-JFK on the same day so I changed the routing. About a week later, there was a schedule change and AS reaccommodated on the SEA-LAS-JFK routing and protected the U space. I certainly didn't complain. 2 GGUs, 4221 Miles, 10,563 RDM, 3 segments, 3 meals pre-ordered, and a 30 minute earlier arrival in JFK that priced out a little under $100 per segment each with the Companion Certificate.

James
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Originally Posted by jrl767
Correct, there was an AS one-off JFK-LAS on Jan 4th and an AS one-off LAS-JFK on January 8th. I noticed that a while back but didn't equate it to CES in Vegas.

I was originally flying PHX-SEA(U)-JFK(U) but noticed 2U SEA-PDX & 2U PDX-JFK on the same day so I changed the routing. About a week later, there was a schedule change and AS reaccommodated on the SEA-LAS-JFK routing and protected the U space. I certainly didn't complain. 2 GGUs, 4221 Miles, 10,563 RDM, 3 segments, 3 meals pre-ordered, and a 30 minute earlier arrival in JFK that priced out a little under $100 per segment each with the Companion Certificate. Not my best CC usage but very happy to fly the one-off.

James
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
… Not my best CC usage but very happy to fly the one-off.
I shouldn’t do this, but …

so happy that you re-posted the *entire* story instead of using “Edit” to add this last sentence
lensovet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.