Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Not Happy with Alaska (But Satisfied with Resolution)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not Happy with Alaska (But Satisfied with Resolution)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
Per your post, they're looking for volunteers. If you're not interested, don't do it. It's an easy solution.
You missed the “or else” part.

Originally Posted by Phoebe25
Now they tell me they’re looking for volunteers to give up their first class seats and if they don’t get enough we can be kicked out of our seats to the back of the plane.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
You missed the “or else” part.
Exactly. We may have ended up with no seats. Now all seats in back are taken. So strange
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Exactly. We may have ended up with no seats. Now all seats in back are taken. So strange
There are probably still seats blocked for Saver ticket holders. The seat map isn’t necessarily a good indicator of whether a flight is sold out.

But you might very well have ended up in middle seats in the back if you hadn’t been proactive.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

There are probably still seats blocked for Saver ticket holders. The seat map isn’t necessarily a good indicator of whether a flight is sold out.

But you might very well have ended up in middle seats in the back if you hadn’t been proactive.
yeah didn’t want to take that chance
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
I didn't miss it. In my personal experience more often than not these things are resolved because someone decides they want to volunteer, cancels flights, changes flights, etc. In this case, the OP themselves decided to volunteer for alternative plans and decent compensation.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
In my personal experience more often than not these things are resolved because someone decides they want to volunteer, cancels flights, changes flights, etc.
How often have you personally been asked if you would voluntarily downgrade from paid F to Y?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:58 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
How often have you personally been asked if you would voluntarily downgrade from paid F to Y?
That's a fair question! I have never been in that exact position. I was drawing from countless other occasions where volunteers were asked to switch flights and invariably someone did. In this case it was the OP who made that choice. It sounds to me like they came out on top of things! That being said, my reply probably came across a bit crabby and I'll own it.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Good lesson and great outcome for OP. I think when you get signs there is a risk you might not fly in the cabin you purchased, it is a really good idea to be proactive. If you wait until nearer to travel date, there may be no good options left to move to. I think the airlines who try to solicit volunteers tend to be in “let’s make a deal” mode and as OP found out, willing to both give you assurance by putting you on another flight and putting some $$ in your pocket.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Update - I called back with flight info that would work for us to take HA from LIH to HNL and then take the nonstop on AK to PDX. She put me on hold for a long time to see if she could do it and then said she could. Adds an hour to our trip but a layover in HNL instead of SEA is better anyway. Ended up getting $700 each credit for future travel.

oh and I asked again why we were being asked to move. She gave me the line about a different plane. I know when I booked it a. 737-800 and she said that’s what it will be so I’m guessing some VIP (why not just charter a plane?) or maybe employees.
You’re welcome for giving you the idea of what to do!

It’s unfortunate… So often people begin a thread with complaints about the big bad airline. I hope the OP can get a moderator to update the thread title to: “ thank you, Alaska! You came though in an incredible way.”
SeaLuggageLover likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I've gotten those e-mails but usually a day or two before - not a month before. That's what I find so strange. This had to be such an unusual situation of having to get a bunch of "somebodies" to Hawaii that day.

I'm also happy it worked out for you and that you didn't take my advice to do nothing!
Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:28 pm

With air Marshals, deadhead crew, and change of equipment, first class in Alaska almost seem like a gamble.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pampa
With air Marshals, deadhead crew, and change of equipment, first class in Alaska almost seem like a gamble.
You mean, other airlines don’t transport FAMs, don’t have deadheading crew and have a 100% homogenous fleet or simply have found a way to never switch aircraft types?

I think the fact that this topic doesn’t come up very often here speaks for itself.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:52 pm

You mean, other airlines don’t transport FAMs, don’t have deadheading crew and have a 100% homogenous fleet or simply have found a way to never switch aircraft types?

I think the fact that this topic doesn’t come up very often here speaks for itself.
True, but the only time I actually saw it happening was when I was flying Alaska. We were all already seated, and the flight attendant asked for a volunteer. No one volunteered, so someone was moved to economy according to some rules. And actually, this topic does come often. I remembered reading about this here just before that flight and thinking it must be rare, but then I had my own experience and threads like this keep showing up.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:54 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by pampa
True, but the only time I actually saw it happening was when I was flying Alaska.
I've experienced it more than once on AA.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone for your help! Our tix cost $700 so it’s like we’re getting a free flight, Yayy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.