Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Not Happy with Alaska (But Satisfied with Resolution)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not Happy with Alaska (But Satisfied with Resolution)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
If it’s row 2 as you say, there is a good chance it’s a flight Marshall. Row two is their favorite spot to sit it seems.
Mine too.

Good luck to the OP! Agree, keep pushing back; does sound a little odd.

Kauai No Ka Oi!
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
If it’s row 2 as you say, there is a good chance it’s a flight Marshall. Row two is their favorite spot to sit it seems.
pretty sure FAMs ride in coach these days
Originally Posted by Phoebe25
… I was told if not enough people volunteer to downgrade their seat or change flights then I would be downgraded.
this sort of belies “no super-elites who can bump F”
(Mrs767 got moved from 2D — on a Gold Guest Upgrade — to Main a year or so ago, although that was before AS was offering pre-emptive changes)

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 7, 2023 at 12:31 am
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:34 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Sounds like a bait and switch. It’s an involuntary downgrade on a paid fare well in advance. Very disturbing if the facts are as stated and complete.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
To my knowledge AS only flies -800s to and from LIH so the number of seats in F is always 12. It could be a simple overbooking due to required crew deadheading or an air marshal or the system allowing too many booked passengers. I personally would ask for first class on the next daytime flight the next day, hotel compensation, and at least a $500 discount code. My wife and daughter were booked in F on MCI-SEA last January and got bumped off the flight because it went from a 16 seat -900 to a 12 seat -800 and there were no available seats in coach where myself and my son were. We each got $350 discount codes, reimbursed for our entire 3 day weekend rental car dropping at OMA, and booked on a flight out of OMA. I think the offer was $500 if we would have just waited until the next day to leave MCI but we all had work/school.
This all started with an email that stated a $350 offer to take a different flight. When I called for more info I was offered $600. So the offer escalated quickly. We shall see how this plays out I guess.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Did they tell you why you would be downgraded if not enough volunteers were found? Perhaps they threatened everyone they called with a downgrade?

What additional compensation did they offer?

Do you have status with Alaska?
They said I was on some type of list to be downgraded if not enough people volunteered to switch out of first class. I currently don’t have status so I guess I haven’t flown that much in the past year

Originally Posted by zrs70
How, exactly are they telling you this? Did they call you? Did they send you an email?

The great thing about schedule changes is that it gives you a LOT of power. Don’t let AS tell you what flight they want you on. You tell THEM what you want. Have them put you on the nonstop out of HNL or OGG to PDX. Have them connect you to those airports at their cost. (If they don’t, it’s still less than buying a new ticket on HA.

They will work with you to keep you happy.
they sent an email and then I called for more info. I just checked and it looks like all seats in main cabin are sold out. Except one and there are 2 of us traveling. Great idea to fly out if HNL instead. They do have a nonstop from there but don’t fly between islands. Think they’d pay for us to fly HA from LIH to HNL? This whole thing is a mess.

Originally Posted by mixmastermark
I assume you have elite status since you fly AS a lot?

How many people in your party? If you're solo and in Row 2, I wouldn't worry, if it were me.

I'm not sure exactly how AS processes their involuntary F downgrades, but my guess is that fare class and elite status weigh more than purchase date if not enough volunteers. Someone else may know more.

But if there's any route with other passenger(s) happy to volunteer to extend their trip, Kauai is certainly near the top!

However, just a heads up, if everything is not sorted before the flight goes under airport control, since LIH is an outstation with contract employees at the gate/counter, I would be polite but firm to ensure you receive appropriate compensation according to AS's rules if they downgrade / reaccommodate you. Hopefully it doesn't get to that point.

Regardless, I hope you don't let it diminish your enjoyment of Kauai.

Keep us updated how it plays out.
2 in our party. Staying another day would be great but hotel is $800 a night and rental car another day is who knows how much. Also, there aren’t any seats left on flight next day.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:15 am
Original Poster

The last person I spoke with at AK suggested I give it a week to see if others volunteer to move. My dilemma is if I wait, seats on HA may fill up and get even more expensive. Can I call AK back and say I need resolution now? If they can’t pay for our interisland flight and get us on their direct flight out of HNL we will have to extend our stay a day and pay ALOT more on HA flight plus hotel and car. Any advice?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Great idea to fly out if HNL instead. They do have a nonstop from there but don’t fly between islands.
AS *does* allow you to connect inter-island on HA, it's just that it's totally non-obvious being able to see it. You won't see it if you just try booking a new flight off their website. However, if you pull up your existing LIH-PDX flight on their website and select to change the flight, you should see numerous options for flying LIH-HNL on HA and then HNL-PDX on AS (or LIH-OGG on HA and then OGG-PDX on AS) with both legs in F. So I would suggest you give that a try, and if you see an itinerary you like, call them up and ask to be switched to it (at their expense if necessary).
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf93
if you see an itinerary you like, call them up and ask to be switched to it (at their expense if necessary).
This might be the best solution now.
1. You should not be taking the burden from AS that they now has less F strata duets their own aircraft change!
2. Any schedule change from AS should allow u to change your ticket to a better option than the auto assigned route
3. Have you tried to talk to AS about this? I had good impression about this and I would be shocked if their customer service can not get this handled!
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by jrl767
all AS -800s are 12F, so this is just nonsense

I have no reason to actually suspect this, but I’m starting to wonder whether AS has an unwritten policy that allows some unpublished level of “super-elite” passenger to bounce an F passenger (either paid or upgraded)
Even tho the FAM program isn’t as robust as it used to be. I’m wondering if a request was made to imbed Marshals on that trip? Their requirements were both on an aisle and one in the first two rows. Just thinking out loud.

Update: I’m retired almost 4 years now so if as stated above, Y seating is acceptable for both Marshals, then my guess isn’t looking too good. Cheers.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:48 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
@Phoebe25: Would the timing of the HNL-PDX flight work for you? It only arrives in PDX after midnight. But looking at random dates in February, there appears a decent amount of available seats.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
FAMs these days are almost always in the back few rows of coach on the aisle so they can see the entire cabin at once without constantly looking backwards. The First Class Row 2 rule was before all the kevlar doors were installed on the flight decks.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
They send that soliciation to everyone, and usually someone will jump to take the offer. It is still a month away. People will organically cancel, too.

If it were me I would ignore the e-mail and NOT change to a different flight, because you might get the same type of e-mail request on that one, too, and then what?
hotturnip and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
They're probably going to get a volunteer. But if you like one of these other ideas better, you should propose it to them.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
This all started with an email that stated a $350 offer to take a different flight. When I called for more info I was offered $600. So the offer escalated quickly. We shall see how this plays out I guess.
This would get me to “volunteer”:

Confirmed seats in PC, $600 compensation per person and the fare difference between what I paid and what the PC seat would have cost me on the day I booked.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:38 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Per your post, they're looking for volunteers. If you're not interested, don't do it. It's an easy solution.
UAPremierExec and anteater like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Update - I called back with flight info that would work for us to take HA from LIH to HNL and then take the nonstop on AK to PDX. She put me on hold for a long time to see if she could do it and then said she could. Adds an hour to our trip but a layover in HNL instead of SEA is better anyway. Ended up getting $700 each credit for future travel.

oh and I asked again why we were being asked to move. She gave me the line about a different plane. I know when I booked it a. 737-800 and she said that’s what it will be so I’m guessing some VIP (why not just charter a plane?) or maybe employees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.