Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP Premium Class Upgrades MVP (Main Cabin to Premium Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2023, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Question/s. We dropped from MVPG to MVP this year. In the past 72 hours out, which I understand is not 48 hours out from departure time, we've been able to upgrade, when available, into premium class at no charge. We are flying tomorrow and to move from main cabin to premium is saying like total due per seat at $89 to upgrade, where normally it would say $0. Am I missing something here? We're not in Saver class and so I thought if within the 48hr window, and seats available, it should be $0?

Anyone else come across a similar situation this year? Again moved from MVPG to MVP, but maybe I am not understanding how Premium class upgrades work with the new MVP status.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
as a MVP you should be able to move to premium within 48 hours of departure for free as long as it isn't a saver fare. If you cant do that call in and have them do it for you.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
as a MVP your companion is not eligible for PE or first upgrade:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rship-benefits

You can split the PNR and get your upgrade for free and pay for your companions, if you are both MVP then splitting it should allow both to upgrade for free

Last edited by RedPanda5; Jan 6, 2023 at 1:24 pm
Old Jan 6, 2023, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedPanda5
as a MVP your companion is not eligible for PE or first upgrade:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rship-benefits

You can split the PNR and get your upgrade for free and pay for your companions, if you are both MVP then splitting it should allow both to upgrade for free
We both are MVP now. We used a companion cert, but again both are MVP. When we were both MVPG and used a cert, we never had this issue within 72hrs, and now being MVP and within 48hrs, it's odd to see it with the costs. (We're in Main Cabin currently)
Sorry, I don't know what a PNR is.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by shand32783
Passenger Name Record, aka reservation number or locator number.
shand32783 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
We both are MVP now. We used a companion cert, but again both are MVP. When we were both MVPG and used a cert, we never had this issue within 72hrs, and now being MVP and within 48hrs, it's odd to see it with the costs. (We're in Main Cabin currently)
in this case it is slightly more difficult, technically you can't split the reservation when using a companion cert. perhaps best to call and ask for some kind of override for PE upgrade
Old Jan 6, 2023, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Unfortunately, a MVP member is eligible for upgrades to PC or F for themself only. If you are on a reservation with another MVP Elite Member or a companion with no status, you are no longer eligible. MVPG+ Elite Members have the added benefit of also upgrading one and only one companion on the same reservation, whether or not that companion has status.

By virtue of the Companion Certificate Terms & Conditions; "you and your companion must travel on the same reservation," the passengers are not eligible for any upgrades unless one passenger holds MVPG status or higher.

James
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:31 pm

What fare class is your ticket and are both booked on the same reservation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.