Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How do you use your Amex Plat $200 credit if you are an MVPG+?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you use your Amex Plat $200 credit if you are an MVPG+?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:20 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
On other airlines where I don't have status Semi-free agency + Amex credit saves a LOT of money. AS F looking full? To B6 I go!

There are ways to exploit the credit on AS which other posters have provided. Personally, I don't find these worth the time, but it depends. I like elite status and premium credit cards because they save time. If have to turn around and spend that time figuring out exactly what gift cards I need and how to buy them I'm not saving time anymore, which defeats the purpose. YMMV, of course.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
They never go through for me even with manual intervention....all they do is read me the list of exclusions.
All I can tell you is there’s an entire thread of data points of success. I would bet that sub-$100 fares out of EUG are probably negligible though.

Originally Posted by _fx
On other airlines where I don't have status Semi-free agency + Amex credit saves a LOT of money. AS F looking full? To B6 I go!

There are ways to exploit the credit on AS which other posters have provided. Personally, I don't find these worth the time, but it depends. I like elite status and premium credit cards because they save time. If have to turn around and spend that time figuring out exactly what gift cards I need and how to buy them I'm not saving time anymore, which defeats the purpose. YMMV, of course.
This is basically why I went over to applying the credit to WN/DL. Having to ask every time got old.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only just recently got the Amex Plat. Used the credit for AS Lounge- (without the AA lounges included) because I go through LAX/PDX/SEA a lot. I'll also be on UA a bunch this year and the AS lounge in LAX T6 is close enough to T7 that if I'm early I can stop in there. The alternative was to apply it to a UA E+ subscription partway through the year, but I did status challenge instead, which I probably won't meet the requirements for, but which might keep me in E+ long enough to get UA Silver.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
All I can tell you is there’s an entire thread of data points of success. I would bet that sub-$100 fares out of EUG are probably negligible though.

This is basically why I went over to applying the credit to WN/DL. Having to ask every time got old.
The only inexpensive fares from EUG are to SEA. I really don't fly anyone else so I'll just eke what I can out of it - this year Amex was very generous, but even just doing the F&B (and when we take the family on trips once or twice a year that really adds up) and as I said the better seats on the puddle jumper I still get good value from the Aspire card, even if I don't hit $250 on that one, I sure do on the resort credit and FNC and all the bonus points.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I use mine on WN for the cheaper intra-CA short hops.
Winner winner chicken dinner.
I use mine for early bird check in for family purchases.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
Tickets, no matter how inexpensive, have not credited for a couple years for me
A few of them did for me early last year, but then it stopped even with several sub-$50 tickets that I only got to try to use up the remainder of the $200 credit. Had to end up making a PC purchase which I will eventually end up cancelling. Even that one didn't auto-credit, so I had to call it in.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
'splain, Lucy. Aren't tickets explicitly excluded?
Since I switched Plat airline to AS two years ago, I've burned the $200 credit early each year without even trying. For me anything under $100 (including fare differential for a voluntary change) seems to trigger the credit. Never sought manual intervention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.