Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short 3K miles for MVPG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2023, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Short 3K miles for MVPG

I was new to MVP Gold this past year because of the combined year and just realized I was short 3K miles to keep my status. I missed the email that told me what I could do to keep my status. If only I had realized earlier. So now I'm looking at my options. Looks like I can buy the points to keep my status or wait and fly 10K miles before April to do it and right now the trips I'm planning don't work for those dates. So I've been scanning the internet to see what others thought of buying miles to keep status and found this forum. I tried to read a bunch of the posts and I've learned a lot on what I can do this next year to make sure I keep my status! Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 5:56 pm

Purchased miles don't count as EQMs unless explicitly stated which is what you need to maintain status. There was an EQM buy-up promotion before the end of 2022 but as far as I'm aware that has ended.

I think flying 10K miles between 1/13/23 and 4/13/23 is your only option currently.
mtofell, jujea and JPat like this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Even if they were willing to sell you 3k EQM they'd charge you waaay more than you would pay to take a couple of transcon mileage runs, or better yet, go visit loved ones or treat yourself to a vacation on those trips if you have the means.
mtofell likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

They told me they extended the buy miles to maintain status from Dec 28th to Jan 18th. It would be about $600.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by BZYMOM28
They told me they extended the buy miles to maintain status from Dec 28th to Jan 18th. It would be about $600.
Oh, wow. That's way cheaper than the offers other members report receiving.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

It seems like a no brainer and worth paying the money. I feel dumb for not paying attention and doing one more trip but it is what it is now.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
BZYMOM28 , welcome to Flyertalk and the Alaska Airlines forum. Glad to have you here. 10K is just a quick weekend trip somewhere. $600 sounds reasonable, but flying 10K miles will yield at least 15K redeemable, plus 10K towards next years requalification. So a gentle nudge that way, especially with the current fare sale that expires tomorrow the 5th.
jujea likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

So I already have flight Jan 7, Jan 15, Jan 26, Feb 3 and then I didn't have anything planned til April19th. Oh the dilemma. So all those flights won't have the Gold status on until I do the 10K miles right? Where do you fly for 10K in a weekend? I have a lot to learn!
Old Jan 4, 2023, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
So I already have flight Jan 7, Jan 15, Jan 26, Feb 3 and then I didn't have anything planned til April19th. Oh the dilemma. So all those flights won't have the Gold status on until I do the 10K miles right? Where do you fly for 10K in a weekend? I have a lot to learn!
You could fly a couple transcons. I'm not sure where you're located but something like this from SFO-BOS 2x would earn 10k at a cost of $325 and you'd earn over 15k miles while doing it.
beckoa likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

I'm in Seattle and do the SEA to MCO a lot because I book Disney trips for people but did more Mexico this year. Maybe I will do a quick Hawaii trip. Thanks for helping me think this through, I just wished I had noticed before the new year! I could've easily fit in one more trip.
beckoa likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'm in Seattle and do the SEA to MCO a lot because I book Disney trips for people but did more Mexico this year. Maybe I will do a quick Hawaii trip. Thanks for helping me think this through, I just wished I had noticed before the new year! I could've easily fit in one more trip.
Hawaii is nice, especially this time of year.

My first year I had status, I missed out on MVPG, (ended up as MVP). I ended up flying HP on ANC-PHX instead of AS. Was pissed about that for a few years... I discovered FT a year or two later.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 6:55 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by beckoa
BZYMOM28 flying 10K miles will yield at least 15K redeemable, plus 10K towards next years requalification. So a gentle nudge that way, especially with the current fare sale that expires tomorrow the 5th.
Beckoa hit the key here. You’d be over half way to MVP for 24 and regain your gold for 23. With the rest of your flying in 23 it would be easy to get to gold for 24. I did this in 21, two trips PDX to east coast and back in two days for under $400 to get me over the 100k threshold. It’s worth it even for gold for the benefits.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I renewed MVPG by purchasing the remaining 2k EQM, I still have not received any GGU’s, I thought That they appeared right after qualifying for status
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal
I renewed MVPG by purchasing the remaining 2k EQM, I still have not received any GGU’s, I thought That they appeared right after qualifying for status
I'm sure AS is still reconciling the end of year totals. If nothing appears in a week or two, I'd reach out to AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.