Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2023, 10:38 am

Early December. Sfo/lax - Tyo.
Strangely the Econ awards matched up just not business awards.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
Is JL still releasing more J and F at T-14 days to departure? I have SFO-NRT-BKK booked on 2/18 in Y, but am hoping availability opens up for J or F last minute
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by olouie
Early December. Sfo/lax - Tyo.
Strangely the Econ awards matched up just not business awards.
I've been scouting out awards for next December. It's been pretty much non-existent. I don't see any availability after 7 December. That first week of December has Y space, but hardly any J (though I was not looking). It's so bad we've changed plans and are now looking into So. America or Europe. However, return flights (Japan-US) appear to be showing up as predicted based on historic patterns. We can't get there, but we can get back.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I've been scouting out awards for next December. It's been pretty much non-existent. I don't see any availability after 7 December. That first week of December has Y space, but hardly any J (though I was not looking). It's so bad we've changed plans and are now looking into So. America or Europe. However, return flights (Japan-US) appear to be showing up as predicted based on historic patterns. We can't get there, but we can get back.
there was some wide open summer availability from SF to HND 2-3 months ago for 2 J seats per day
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:54 pm

there was some wide open summer availability from SF to HND 2-3 months ago for 2 J seats per day
Old Jan 26, 2023, 2:52 pm

You can always book SJC-TYO via Zipair once they open up their schedule. I guess I got lucky and found a US west coast to TYO award space using AA miles last night in early Dec.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by usefuloxymoron
The schedule over the Christmas season is just now coming up. There's no availability US-Japan, but sufficient availability Japan-US. Again, not looking for J space - just Y. We're looking for a total of 7 tickets. We don't have enough miles to go J in even just one direction.

Originally Posted by olouie
You can always book SJC-TYO via Zipair once they open up their schedule. I guess I got lucky and found a US west coast to TYO award space using AA miles last night in early Dec.
Our schedule is restricted by school schedules. We are looking at Dec 16 outbound, Dec 25 return. The return should show up in the next day or two, but we aren't going to book that given the uncertainty of availability on the outbound. At this point it looks to me like a set plan to not release seats to AS (and possibly other partners) for late-December.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
The schedule over the Christmas season is just now coming up. There's no availability US-Japan, but sufficient availability Japan-US. Again, not looking for J space - just Y. We're looking for a total of 7 tickets. We don't have enough miles to go J in even just one direction.

Our schedule is restricted by school schedules. We are looking at Dec 16 outbound, Dec 25 return. The return should show up in the next day or two, but we aren't going to book that given the uncertainty of availability on the outbound. At this point it looks to me like a set plan to not release seats to AS (and possibly other partners) for late-December.
Yes, you are looking for tickets during the highest of high season - since they sell tickets easily for that time it is very likely they won't release award tickets - good luck.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
Yes, you are looking for tickets during the highest of high season - since they sell tickets easily for that time it is very likely they won't release award tickets - good luck.
I was told that about March/April/1st week of May as well. Perhaps we should all just go at the worst possible time of the year.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
I was told that about March/April/1st week of May as well. Perhaps we should all just go at the worst possible time of the year.
One would think this would be the case, but we were able to secure tickets SEA-TYO on 7 April and TYO-SEA on 17 April. Now we did speculatively book before the reopening was announced. The one other time I've been to Japan, I went during late-October/early-November - which turns out to be an incredibly nice time of year to visit Kansai. I had one rain day in the seventeen day trip. School holidays now limit our travel windows.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
So I did a dry run and pass selected seat of two JAL legs with not confirmed seat (since it is partner airline) , it this still phantom booking ?
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by ccna101
So I did a dry run and pass selected seat of two JAL legs with not confirmed seat (since it is partner airline) , it this still phantom booking ?
Try and checkout. Error happens after that.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by estnet
If you don't mind waiting until a week or two prior to departure, a lot of premium award space gets dumped into the system around the holidays....even saw J seats available on AA LAX-SYD during the holidays last month.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 3:23 am

Managed to snag a SIN-NRT-HND-ORD J award for June. Sweet!

Initially saw F but knew it was likely phantom so braced for the nut punch, and indeed, phantom. Will take the J victory though.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 6:14 am

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Experiencing a very strange issue with AS, curious if anyone also noticed.

Example 1: SIN-HND-LAX

Segment by Segment
SIN-HND = UNAVAILABLE
HND-LAX = AVAILABLE
SIN-HND-KIX = AVAILABLE
(sin-hnd is all same flight and date)

Multi city search:
SIN-HND-KIX + HND-LAX = AVAILABLE
SIN-HND + HND LAX = UNAVAILABLE

Thinking it is phantom inventory, I booked SIN-HND-KIX + HND-LAX and the booking system TICKETED the reservation lol. So right now I may have to fly this strange itinerary (its fine because it gives me 20 hrs in osaka before i need to get a $100 domestic ticket to HND.

Example 2: LAX to TYO

LAX-HND = UNAVAILABLE
SFO-LAX-HND = AVAILABLE (same tpac flight date and #)

I'm not extremely motivated to book a flight to reposition from LAX to SFO just to fly back to LAX again but I guess I can do that if need be if desparate times comes to desparate measures, but has anyone worked their way around these strange inventory issues?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.