Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will AS Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2023, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Moderator Note:

This is a very active and popular thread, so it's important that it stay tightly on-topic (i.e., the food and beverages served and comments very closely related to them). This is not a discussion thread and not for general comments and questions about F service. Tangential comments, opinions, questions and discussion will make this very long thread unwieldly and difficult to navigate. Those subjects can be discussed in new or existing threads. The "rule" for this thread is that off-topic posts may be deleted without notice.

dayone, AS Moderator
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2023, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

New thread for 2023.
IN.THE.SKY likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dayone
New thread for 2023.
My partner and I flew Seattle to Boston last night (3:45pm) and landed just a few minutes before midnight…So technically, this belongs in the 2022 section.

Entree choices were:

* Asparagus and Shitake Risotto
* Kalbi Beef w Coconut Fried Rice

Surprisingly (because I’m a beef guy and not a fan of asparagus), I had the risotto, but I also got to taste the Kalbi. I thought the risotto was very tasty and very little noticeable taste or appearance of asparagus…It was served quite hot, and there was a nice flavor of shiitake mushrooms and otherwise it was creamy and cheesy…Sort of tasty comfort food.

On the other hand, I didn’t like the taste of the Kalbi sauce, and thought the tidbits of beef were “meh” in taste and otherwise low in flavor. The fried rice was nothing special either, and I didn’t notice much coconut flavor to speak of.

Once again, there were no PDBs on offer, despite probably among the most ample opportunity with everybody seated at least 20 minutes before departure.

Drinks came out at 50 minutes after departure… so Alaska is quite fine with people sitting there and no drinks for 60 to 80 minutes from boarding, at a minimum.

Other than that, the flight attendants, were sensational, especially the first class FA. They were also playfully attired in New Year’s Eve headwear.

I also discovered one of my new top desserts on an airplane: first, mixed one bottle each of Irish Cream and Hazelnut Vodka over a few rocks, and then I scooped-in the contents of my chocolate brownie ice cream to my glass…the combination was better than a hog mt fudge sundae! Absolutely delicious, especially as the ice cream melted.

We also thought the sparkling wine from the can, which we tasted to usher in the new year during the descent, was decent…exceeded our expectations.

We were on a 737–909…I don’t know when it was delivered, but it sure seemed pretty new…The seats are so much better than their predecessors, especially the foot rest, secondarily the headrest (which is adjustable in multiple ways), and lastly, he cushioning to a smaller degree.

Hats off to the crew for their festive and accommodating attitudes and excellent service (except for the lack of PDBs, which I think seems to be the defacto standard).
jewree likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Jan 1, 2023 at 9:47 pm Reason: Fix quote syntax.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
New Year's Day Food

New year, same old food! I like both of these options, though, so no complaints here.

AS890 SBA-SEA
Jan. 1, 2023
737-800

I tried a new drink: rum (Cruzan) and soda, with a lemon packet. Quite refreshing. With some very warm nuts.

Brisket torta, plus side salad. Filling and tasty.

Chocolate-chip cookie. Snack basket was distributed as well.

Bonus shot of El Capitan State Beach since it was so green and pretty over Santa Barbara County.

AS1151 SEA-DEN
Jan. 1, 2023
737-900

Chicken sandwich with bacon and pickled apple. Another side salad. Also filling and delicious. There was no snack basket. Warm nuts and drinks to start.

Quite a turbulent flight. We arrived in a snowstorm and did a go-around about 30 seconds before landing on 35L in Denver. Slow-exiting traffic on the runway, the captain explained. Still kind of exciting!

Carfield likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kurt
New year, same old food! I like both of these options, though, so no complaints here.

AS890 SBA-SEA
Jan. 1, 2023
737-800

I tried a new drink: rum (Cruzan) and soda, with a lemon packet. Quite refreshing. With some very warm nuts.

Brisket torta, plus side salad. Filling and tasty.

Chocolate-chip cookie. Snack basket was distributed as well.

Bonus shot of El Capitan State Beach since it was so green and pretty over Santa Barbara County.

AS1151 SEA-DEN
Jan. 1, 2023
737-900

Chicken sandwich with bacon and pickled apple. Another side salad. Also filling and delicious. There was no snack basket. Warm nuts and drinks to start.

Quite a turbulent flight. We arrived in a snowstorm and did a go-around about 30 seconds before landing on 35L in Denver. Slow-exiting traffic on the runway, the captain explained. Still kind of exciting!
That sandwich looks AMAZING! I've not had a chocolate chip cookie in F for a long time--too long

Last edited by dayone; Jan 2, 2023 at 4:47 pm Reason: Redact quoted images for readability.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 3:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
It had a lot of bacon and was delicious. Saved the SEA-DEN cookie for later but I left it at home where it has probably been eaten already

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
That sandwich looks AMAZING! I've not had a chocolate chip cookie in F for a long time--too long
Old Jan 2, 2023, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Pork Shoulder and Scrambled Egg Bowl on this morning’s LAX-IAD. I thought this was very tasty. Service didn’t really start for at least 30 minutes but was good once it got going. Would definitely order this again.

Carfield likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Moderator Note

We're way off-topic on this very active and very specific thread. A few posts have been moved to a new thread.

dayone, AS Moderator
Old Jan 5, 2023, 1:23 pm

LAS-SEAOpen faced chicken gyro. The cheese platter probably would have been better on my post Vegas stomach
Carfield likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:24 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Probably had apricot chicken 10+ times... When there will be the new menu? Next month?

FAs spent 5 hours chatting with each other. No ice cream, no snack basket - EWR/SFO.
Carfield, anteater and Seattle123 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lonelygod
no snack basket
Pro tip: "Will you be offering the snack basket today?"
Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan; WN Rapid Rewards; DL SkyMiles; Mariott Bonvoy; Hilton Honors.
Originally Posted by lonelygod
Probably had apricot chicken 10+ times... When there will be the new menu? Next month.
Any day. I pre-ordered Brick Chicken for my flight to MCI later next week.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by dayone
Pro tip: "Will you be offering the snack basket today?"
Amateur tip: "May I see what's in the snack basket today?"
formeraa and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:22 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Or don't really let them say no...."when will you serve the snack basket today"
formeraa, philemer and samosa like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:26 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

First flight of the year is the SEA-BOS redeye, and also my first time trying this salad. Alaska hit a home run; I could have easily eaten three 😜🤤
chrisny2 and jujea like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by UtilityGuy

First flight of the year is the SEA-BOS redeye, and also my first time trying this salad. Alaska hit a home run; I could have easily eaten three 😜🤤
I had only ever seen this as an economy preorder option. Never had the chance to try so interesting to see it’s the light meal on a redeye
UtilityGuy likes this.

Last edited by dayone; May 12, 2023 at 9:39 pm Reason: Delete quoted image for readability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.