Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SAN - No Jet A Available, AS (and Others) Making Fuel Stops (From 12/29/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2023, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium

Lindbergh Field has a problem getting Jet A.... and they are not refueling aircraft. They have released a NOTAM:

!SAN 12/089 SAN AD AP JET A FUEL NOT AVBL 2301020800-2301051200 CREATED: 29 Dec 2022 17:17:00 SOURCE: KSANYFYX
Flights seem to be diverting to Ontario or El Paso to get gas before continuing on.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Lindbergh Field has a problem getting Jet A.... and they are not refueling aircraft. They have released a NOTAM:

Flights seem to be diverting to Ontario or El Paso to get gas before continuing on.
El Paso seems like a long way to divert to from SAN for fuel.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
El Paso seems like a long way to divert to from SAN for fuel.
It's for the eastbound flights. Northbound are hitting ONT.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
The NOTAM you shared was for 12/29/2022. It might still be in effect, but that seems to be when it started.
The NOTAM issued 12/29/2022 did not say that fuel would not be available as of that date; it said that fuel would not be available 1/2/2023-1/5/2023. (Apparently, the unavailability started sooner than what the NOTAM announced.)
Old Jan 1, 2023, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by guv1976
(Apparently, the unavailability started sooner than what the NOTAM announced.)
Perhaps airlines were hoarding it like Costco shoppers with toilet paper in early 2020?
Old Jan 1, 2023, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Perhaps airlines were hoarding it like Costco shoppers with toilet paper in early 2020?
Apparently a pipeline leak, which has disrupted fuel deliveries of all types throughout San Diego County, including deliveries of Jet-A to Lindbergh Field.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA plat, UA 1k
"We have to make a Pit stop": Purpored "fuel stop" in ONT for SAN-SFO?!?!

I'm having trouble believing that Alaska 3347 needed to make a fuel stop in Ontario (in greater Los Angeles) on the way from SAN to SFO yesterday (1/1/23). I cancelled an hour before the flight and rebooked on SWA, which did not require a fuel stop on that route (and was back to normal---I'd had a horrible experience with everyone else on that route the week before. And the walk up fares were rock bottom due to their crisis!)

Does anyone have an explanation / idea why Alaska would not be able to obtain fuel at SAN, when all the other carriers were operating normally? Or is "fuel stop" code for "we wanted to merge two flights into one?

I had the information conveyed to me via text message, email, and reservation agent.

Their email: "We have to make a pit stop. We're deeply sorry for the unexpected stop, we'll have you in San Jose soon. Operational needs out of San Diego require us to make a stop in Ontario to add additional fuel. Our airport teams and flight crews are working hard to keep you updated and minimize the impact to your travel plans. We apologize for the inconvenience. Alaska Airlines"

Per flightaware, they did stop in ONT yesterday (but not the day before and likely not today....):

Last edited by TDBOS; Jan 2, 2023 at 12:32 pm
Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:03 pm

There is a fuel shortage at SAN. BA flights from SAN-LHR are stopping at LAX to fuel.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by TDBOS
I'm having trouble believing that Alaska 3347 needed to make a fuel stop in Ontario (in greater Los Angeles) on the way from SAN to SFO yesterday (1/1/23).
Might be related to this:

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...rways-flights/

Last edited by dayone; Jan 2, 2023 at 12:40 pm Reason: Delete circular link after merge.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Per flightaware, they did stop in ONT yesterday (but not the day before and likely not today....):

It took 2 hrs and 42 mins from SAN to ONT? Did they take I-15?
nookanaya and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA plat, UA 1k
I see there was a NOTAM, and a reported pipeline leak!
Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

I see there was a NOTAM, and a reported pipeline leak!
It's also affecting multiple carriers, not just AS. You lucked out on your SWA flight is all.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BYOF!
Old Jan 2, 2023, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
A recent news report:
A fuel shortage limiting San Diego’s supply is adding to the holiday travel headaches for passengers at San Diego International Airport.The shortage, caused by a leak in a key pipeline east of Los Angeles, was forcing some departing flights to make unplanned pit stops in Los Angeles, Phoenix or Las Vegas to fill up.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...tage-san-diego
Old Jan 2, 2023, 5:00 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
AS 895 (SAN- HNL) diverted to OAK yesterday and today.

In a case like this, do you get miles based on original routing or actual butt-in-seat miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.