Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Bumped from SEA-LIH on Christmas Day for $2000!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2022, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

It's been many years since I've been bumped from an AS flight but on Christmas Day they offered $2000 plus meal and hotel vouchers for anyone willing to give up their seat on AS 839 from SEA-LIH. I heard the gate agent say that they were over by 10 and it looked like they had a lot of employees that were deadheading to LIH presumably to crew flights back to the mainland. Since my wife and two kids were with me, we ended up with $8000 ($2000 x 4) in AS credit, $144 in meal vouchers ($12 x 12), 2 hotel room vouchers, and confirmed seats on the evening flight to LIH the next day. The gate agent said the limit on bonus travel certificates was $1500 so he had to email us a separate $500 discount code which already arrived in my email account. This has to be the highest voluntary denied boarding compensation I've ever received from any airline...Best.Christmas.Present.Ever
Old Dec 28, 2022, 2:44 pm

Thats awesome. Can the AS credits given for getting bumped be used for flights on partner airlines or can you only use for AS?
rt23456p likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 2:51 pm

It's been a while since I've been on a flight that was overbooked. Maybe 2017. Took $300 in credit, free room and first class ticket on rebooked flight. I wouldn't hesitate unless I had an upgrade already. Could always use more credit
rt23456p likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL’s bump compensation is reported a cash equivalent Visa or Mastercard, loaded with the $ that you can spend anywhere. A friend took this last year.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Good lord. Maybe 75k isn’t so far away after all
PDXPremier likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 5:20 pm

Not trying to one-up your story, but a few years back right before COVID there was a nightmare situation similar to this on a flight from CA to FL. Ended up getting bumped with $4000 in AS credit. Highest I've ever heard of any comp. Ran into the gate agent who was working a flight a year later and he said he still remembered that day... Good times (and an easy 75k!)
Ford Fairlane and anteater like this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by Happy
DL’s bump compensation is reported a cash equivalent Visa or Mastercard, loaded with the $ that you can spend anywhere. A friend took this last year.
I love DL's bump compensation. Gift card that works like a debit card (that you can spend anywhere) trumps airline credit.
Single_Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Delta
This is my dream (provided hotel can be changed and there is no cruise ship or event waiting). Congrats! How will you use it?
rt23456p and StrandedinLA like this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ab2013
I love DL's bump compensation. Gift card that works like a debit card (that you can spend anywhere) trumps airline credit.
Right you are! They started this even before Pandemic and never went back to the stupid airline credit which has a high breakage rate to the airlines benefits.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnsts1
This is my dream (provided hotel can be changed and there is no cruise ship or event waiting). Congrats! How will you use it?
Not sure yet....I've got a trip I need to take to Florida in July and the prices right now are outrageous of course so this will help. I'm hoping the $1500 certificates go into My Wallet or at least don't have to be all used at once. As for missing a hotel night, that did happen and I wasn't able to cancel just the first night but it was an award stay so the hotel suggested I contact Marriott Bonvoy to attempt to get one of my free night certificates back.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Damn.

Who remembers the old paper vouchers? 4 coupons, and needed V class iirc.

PDXPremier , hope you bought a lotto ticket
Old Dec 28, 2022, 10:50 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by johnsts1
Almost every time (the last decade on both Alaska and Delta) the oversold leg is the one I absolutely have to be on to make an event/meeting, and I begrudgingly board while someone else gets a sweet voucher. Going the other way, when I have flexibility? No dice.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
but it was an award stay so the hotel suggested I contact Marriott Bonvoy to attempt to get one of my free night certificates back.
“Hello Bonvoy! Surely you heard about the air traffic chaos… well, my travel plans were “impacted” and so I arrived a day later than expected. Can I please have my cert back?”

Actually, I am surprised they didn’t charge you the rack rate for the no show night.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Alaska 100k, Hyatt Globalist
Just curious on how this happened - did they offer the rest of the plane 1500 and everyone else declined? How did it escalate up to 2000? Did you have F tickets and the crew needed first due to their contract reqs?
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by techtravels89
Just curious on how this happened - did they offer the rest of the plane 1500 and everyone else declined? How did it escalate up to 2000? Did you have F tickets and the crew needed first due to their contract reqs?
We were in PC....got to the gate around T-40 before departure and the $2000 offer was the only one I heard and I think that was offered before boarding started. There was a very noticeable group of deadheading employees wait around the gate. The next day our flight to LIH was delayed waiting for the arrival of a first officer who was scheduled to fly the red-eye back to SEA from LIH...I imagine it took at least a few days to re-position crew....much faster than WN
rt23456p likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.