Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Christmas Holiday SEA Cancellations - Snow and Winter Storms (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas Holiday SEA Cancellations - Snow and Winter Storms (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Used the reimbursements/refunds email to submit my one-way rental car receipt from my PDX-SEA cancellation and it only took two days to get a response telling me I should receive a check in 3-4 weeks--wow....I think the fastest response I've ever received from Alaska....maybe they are trying to keep ahead of the WN debacle after the Transportation Secretary said he would be putting Southwest "under a microscope"....lol.
EileenCat likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:11 am

Programs: SIA Kris Flyer Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Just out of curiosity, has anyone had any luck getting Alaska to reimburse anything more than the cost of airline tickets for a cancelled flight? We had three one-way first class tickets from PHX to PAE scheduled on 12/26 that was cancelled that morning. We weren't able to get through the phone line (just got a message saying the lines were busy and to try again later). Didn't see any flights out for the next 3 days with availability, so we went to PHX, rented a car and drove to Seattle. Of course, costing us the rental, gas, meals and two nights in hotel rooms. I'm trying to figure out if I should ask Alaska for more than just a refund for the tickets, or just submit extra expenses to the insurance associated with my Chase Sapphire Reserve. I can't accept a credit from them because we don't live in the US currently (we're expats) and don't plan to be back in the US until at least Feb 2024, so a credit is useless to me.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:12 am

Programs: SIA Kris Flyer Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Used the reimbursements/refunds email to submit my one-way rental car receipt from my PDX-SEA cancellation and it only took two days to get a response telling me I should receive a check in 3-4 weeks--wow....I think the fastest response I've ever received from Alaska....maybe they are trying to keep ahead of the WN debacle after the Transportation Secretary said he would be putting Southwest "under a microscope"....lol.
Did they also reimburse you for the cancelled flight or just give you a credit?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EileenCat
Did they also reimburse you for the cancelled flight or just give you a credit?
I'm getting a cash refund back on my credit card for the cancelled flight. I'm kinda curious what the amount is going to be because the PDX-SEA segment was part of PDX-SEA-LIH (not purchased separately).
EileenCat likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 8:57 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I'm getting a cash refund back on my credit card for the cancelled flight. I'm kinda curious what the amount is going to be because the PDX-SEA segment was part of PDX-SEA-LIH (not purchased separately).
My credit for SEA-PDX was $51.56 for a canceled connecting segment. Relative to the total fare, the calculation seemed reasonable to me.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
My credit for SEA-PDX was $51.56 for a canceled connecting segment. Relative to the total fare, the calculation seemed reasonable to me.
I agree.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:56 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
I had multiple flights cancelled that week and didn’t keep the emails but can reference the confirmation code. Could I call CS next week and send in receipts for overnight lodging and train ride from ORD to MKE (cancelled my flight and then also cancelled my next day alternative from ORD) that week
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xrayman
I had multiple flights cancelled that week and didn’t keep the emails but can reference the confirmation code. Could I call CS next week and send in receipts for overnight lodging and train ride from ORD to MKE (cancelled my flight and then also cancelled my next day alternative from ORD) that week
I would send in the pdf receipts with confirmation #s to the reimbursements email on the first page of the AS website....I'm sure you'll get at least something back and I'm finding the response time lately has been light-years faster than normal.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:02 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
I would send in the pdf receipts with confirmation #s to the reimbursements email on the first page of the AS website....I'm sure you'll get at least something back and I'm finding the response time lately has been light-years faster than normal.
“Reimbursement” email, is this email contact under a certain tab??
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, the refund paper check for the car rental showed up pretty quick, but I'm not having the same luck with the flight cancellation refunds....I have 4 PDX-SEA tickets from 12/25/22 waiting on credit card refunds and nothing has showed up so far. I did get an email from Customer Care on 1/9/23 saying a refund would be processed to my credit card in 5-7 days but still nothing. Anyone else still waiting on refunds from the winter storm last month? I didn't figure it would be a quick process but I thought they'd show up by now.....
Old Jan 25, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
AS preemptively canceled the long first leg of our JFK-SEA-BLI flight in the middle of the night a few days before Christmas and rerouted us the following day to SEA but mistakenly left off the BLI leg. By the time we got through on the phone, there were no open SEA-BLI flights until after Christmas.

For those who don't know the geography, the road distance via I-5 is just over 100 miles and anywhere from 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 1/2 hours, depending on conditions. Shuttles take longer. We fortunately got a ride home from SEA.

A phone rep did grant us each a customer service voucher while telling us there was no refund due. She was right. I learned in the AS COC that SEA and BLI are on the list of 10 co-terminal airports, and that "Alaska will make no refund if transportation is provided from the point of Schedule Irregularity to the ticketed destination or Stopover airport, or a co-terminal as determined by Alaska."

Even after several years of flying AS, we're still learning the ropes, and this list was news to us, although I'm sure not to more experienced AS flyers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.