Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Small dog in cabin policy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2022, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Small dog in cabin policy

Hi, what is Alaska's policy for small dogs traveling in the cabin? I thought they are required to be in a carier under the seat or are they allowed to be lap dogs jumping around with fur a flying?
Old Dec 12, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: Alaska
One of my co-workers brought her pitbull to a conference in Nashville with us last week. He had his own seat in the cabin so I imagine you could purchase a seat for a small dog with no problem.

I was skeptical but he was better behaved than most the conference attendees.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Boo_Crew
Hi, what is Alaska's policy for small dogs traveling in the cabin? I thought they are required to be in a carier under the seat or are they allowed to be lap dogs jumping around with fur a flying?
The pet must stay in its container (including head and tail) with the door/flap secured at all times in the boarding area (during boarding and deplaning), Alaska Lounge, and while onboard the aircraft. They must be stowed under the seat during taxi, takeoff, and landing.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ling-with-pets
Old Dec 12, 2022, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Well apparently it's not enforced. They told him to keep it out of the isle so he just kept it on his lap getting fur our food when he was petting it all the time.

Last edited by Boo_Crew; Dec 12, 2022 at 5:15 pm
Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:07 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Well apparently it's not enforced. They told him to keep it out of the isle so he just kept it on his lap getting fur our food when he was petting it all the time.
I would direct to you Alaska Listens, with flight information to let them know what happened.
notquiteaff and DiamondMile like this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:48 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
If it was a service animal, it wouldn't need to stay in the carrier.
TheBeerHunter likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
If it was a service animal, it wouldn't need to stay in the carrier.
Lots to keep track of!

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...pport-animals/

Last edited by vanillabean; Dec 12, 2022 at 8:48 pm
Old Dec 12, 2022, 9:46 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I feel really sorry for some of the dogs I see being stuffed into a small carrier that really acts more like swaddling than a carrier.....then they are crammed under a seat...poor things...they can't move let alone stretch. There should be a requirement about the size of dog that can be put under the seat as some of what I've seen is animal cruelty.....most recent was TPA to SEA...not a short flight. I also feel sorry for folks who aren't dog lovers (I am so it's not prejudice that causes me to say this) and then are forced to pet, try to avoid or otherwise put up with a dog or, at least, dog hair in their space. Sat in 1F about a year ago SEA to TPA with a beautifully trained and constantly monitored service dog who very carefully stayed out of my foot space until he was told by his master that it would be ok to visit with me. They were a pleasure to travel with, the dog stayed out of everyone's way and the owner was very aware that not all would love his dog as much as he does.
altabello likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by kileysmom
Sat in 1F about a year ago SEA to TPA with a beautifully trained and constantly monitored service dog who very carefully stayed out of my foot space until he was told by his master that it would be ok to visit with me.
Never understood how a service animal is allowed in the bulkhead row, but people can’t have anything else on the floor for safety reasons.
mtofell, bchandler02 and pcoll like this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by kileysmom
I feel really sorry for some of the dogs I see being stuffed into a small carrier that really acts more like swaddling than a carrier.....then they are crammed under a seat...poor things...they can't move let alone stretch. There should be a requirement about the size of dog that can be put under the seat as some of what I've seen is animal cruelty.....most recent was TPA to SEA...not a short flight.
Technically they do have regulations on the dimensions of the dog and carrier. Per the AS site "The USDA and IATA have specific requirements. Pets must be small enough to fit and stay comfortably in the carrier under the seat."
When you follow the link to the IATA site it provides you will how to measure the pet to determine the size of the carrier necessary. You can then compare that to the AS carrier size limits to see if the dog should be under the seat or shipped somewhere else. The dog should be able to stand fully (the container should be at least as tall as the dog from top of ears/head to feet PLUS space for any bedding) and twice as wide as the animal (assuming to give them space to move/turn around).

My cousin had to cargo hold her dog to Korea because his ears were so large his container required would need to be too big for under the seat. She was a vet tech in the past so was very conscious of having the appropriate amount of space for the mental and physical health of the dog. Given all I have seen travelling, it doesn't surprise me that people are using pet carriers that are not appropriate for their pets. I'm a little sad AS doesn't check that, but I can understand that would be a challenge.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Never understood how a service animal is allowed in the bulkhead row, but people can’t have anything else on the floor for safety reasons.
Having luggage or personal items in a bulkhead row impedes a passenger’s exit from the cabin in an emergency. Having a service animal may, in fact, be necessary for a passenger to safely exit the cabin.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 6:43 am

In real time:

Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by denverbay
Having luggage or personal items in a bulkhead row impedes a passenger’s exit from the cabin in an emergency. Having a service animal may, in fact, be necessary for a passenger to safely exit the cabin.
Fair point, And yet it may also impede someone’s exit. The person I quoted was in 1F, so the dog owner was in the aisle seat. I can understand that a service animal, no matter where on the plane, may both be needed during the evacuation as well as pose an additional risk (obstacle) for the other passengers. Window seats might be a risk reducing measure.

And for the record, I am personally not very worried about emergencies. I do what I can to be prepared (keep shoes on during takeoff/landing, passport in pants pocket), but otherwise I think it is just a highly unlikely scenario.
resqman likes this.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Dec 14, 2022 at 9:28 am
Old Dec 14, 2022, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Saw a fake service dog the other day. That's really even worse!
Old Dec 14, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K;[url=tel:34835070
34835070]Saw a fake service dog the other day. That's really even worse!
Curious as I’m not familiar with this..

How does one bring a fake service animal onboard a plane? Aren’t passengers required to submit some form of certified documentation to the airline prior to transit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.