Wiki Posts
Search

AS Meal Changes in Y (7/30/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2022, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
AS Meal Changes in Y (7/30/2022)

Apparently AS has changed their meal standards. Meals, even sandwiches or cheese platters, are no longer offered in flights under 1100 mile in Y. That means flights such as SEA-DEN and PDX -CA are only being offered snack baskets. What an awesome offer from AS. My SEA-DEN 7 AM departure (over 2 hours flight time) now gets the option on the Tapas or Snack boxes. Great!!! Thanks for making these such an appetizing BREAKFAST option. Snark not turned off! Tinitus turned up another notch...

Last edited by BOB W; Dec 12, 2022 at 12:12 am
Old Dec 12, 2022, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BOB W
Apparently AS has changed their meal standards. Meals, even sandwiches or cheese platters, are no longer offered in flights under 1100 mile in Y. That means flights such as SEA-DEN are only being offered snack baskets. What an awesome offer from AS. My SEA-DEN 7 AM departure (over 2 hours flight time) now gets the option on the Tapas or Snack boxes. Great!!! Thanks for making these such an appetizing BREAKFAST option. Snark not turned off! Tinitus turned up another notch...
Yeah this is an odd one since one would assume they make more money by selling the fresh food items then not selling them. This is already being discussed in the first class food thread but probably deserves it's own thread since it only applies to the Y cabin.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Yeah this is an odd one since one would assume they make more money by selling the fresh food items then not selling them. This is already being discussed in the first class food thread but probably deserves it's own thread since it only applies to the Y cabin.
No announcement, so apperently sn attempt to slip it under the radar. They will probably blame it on crew issues...
Old Dec 12, 2022, 2:07 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
In coach? All I see are pre-pack boxed options for sale and its been that for a while. You must always get upgraded and not aware of the conditions in the back of the plane. 😂
Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
No announcement, so apperently sn attempt to slip it under the radar. They will probably blame it on crew issues...
Actually, there was, and I remember it, so I found it for you. It was part of the re-alignment of improved meals in F on shorter routes, ironically enough.

https://news.alaskaair.com/newsroom/...y-u-s-airline/
Old Dec 12, 2022, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Actually, there was, and I remember it, so I found it for you. It was part of the re-alignment of improved meals in F on shorter routes, ironically enough.

https://news.alaskaair.com/newsroom/...y-u-s-airline/
My mistake. I will continue to order the same snack packs that AS has offered FOREVER. Now I will just have to convince myself that either one is a "Breakfast" item

I also find it very ironic that AS can upgrade their food offerings by never changing the offerings in coach, under 1100 miles. Kind of ironic, don't ya think...
Old Dec 12, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Taking a trip back to memory lane, to a time just after Virgin Alaska merger, was that hot meals were being discontinued, citing lack of sufficient oven in its A320 fleet as one of a few reasons.. Now that A320 will soon be gone, I will soon know, it wasn’t because of oven availability….. If we see the return of pay- hot food in Y, apologies to Alaska for assuming. If there is return of hot food in Y, I would welcome that change.

Jiburi
Old Dec 12, 2022, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
My mistake. I will continue to order the same snack packs that AS has offered FOREVER. Now I will just have to convince myself that either one is a "Breakfast" item

I also find it very ironic that AS can upgrade their food offerings by never changing the offerings in coach, under 1100 miles. Kind of ironic, don't ya think...
Now now, this way you and every other MMer won't play the upgrade lottery and will simply pay an extra $500++ per trip so you can get the equivalent of a cardboard platter of cheese on your flight.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
My understanding is that they threw away a lot of fresh food in Y back when it was offered. Perhaps the rate of people ordering and changing their mind on the flights where it's offered now gives the pause about bringing it back to all flights?
Old Dec 12, 2022, 12:46 pm

Alaska went to a pre-order system for ALL fresh food because of several reasons. First, the waste on a lot of flights was ridiculous. Second, someone was inevitably disappointed because they didn't get their first (or sometimes second or third) choice - and often on the longest flights, by the time the carts got to the back there were no choices at all.

The release from Alaska detailing the service enhancements was after all of the service reductions during Covid so at that time, adding fresh food back to flights over 1100 miles was an enhancement given all that was taken away during Covid. Comparing service now to pre-covid, some things are better and some things are not, depending on what you value I suppose. Flying from either PDX or SEA there are A LOT of food options if you are able to give yourself a little extra time. It's not necessary to make breakfast out of a picnic pack - I always think of those as just something to fill the spot until you can get something better. ALSO, you are able to bring sandwiches and stuff through security - bring something better from home.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Now now, this way you and every other MMer won't play the upgrade lottery and will simply pay an extra $500++ per trip so you can get the equivalent of a cardboard platter of cheese on your flight.
ummmmm.....NOPE! AS is not EK
Old Dec 12, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Alaska went to a pre-order system for ALL fresh food because of several reasons. First, the waste on a lot of flights was ridiculous. Second, someone was inevitably disappointed because they didn't get their first (or sometimes second or third) choice - and often on the longest flights, by the time the carts got to the back there were no choices at all.

The release from Alaska detailing the service enhancements was after all of the service reductions during Covid so at that time, adding fresh food back to flights over 1100 miles was an enhancement given all that was taken away during Covid. Comparing service now to pre-covid, some things are better and some things are not, depending on what you value I suppose. Flying from either PDX or SEA there are A LOT of food options if you are able to give yourself a little extra time. It's not necessary to make breakfast out of a picnic pack - I always think of those as just something to fill the spot until you can get something better. ALSO, you are able to bring sandwiches and stuff through security - bring something better from home.

Even for snacks, FAs don't bother selling them on flights within west coast. I flew OAK-SEA a couple times over the past 3 months in premium class due to last minute SDC. No matter OO or mainline, they have snacks catered but never sell them. I have to ask if they have peatos and they will be like "yeah it's $2", then I would ask can I get one for free as 100K. And they never put it on the cart, it's always hidden inside.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Time to increase your layovers in SEA so you can get some food before you connect.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AS Flyer

You make some good points. You mention "Fresh Food" more than once. The only flight I fly under 1100 miles repeatedly is SEA-DEN-SEA. Those are after I have flown ANC-SEA or return. The service has gone notably downhill since mid-summer. The FA's always state that there will be only one pass through the Y cabin. Rarely, they mention that we can come to the back of the plane if we need something else. The last time I did that I was denied. I wanted a Rum, Coke Zero and glass of ice. A while later the flight attendant came to my seat and said the hesa FA had looked through their manual and it was ambiguous. I got a Rum, Ice and nothing to mix it with. Needless to say, the rum was left in the seat pocket. I could tell the FA was embarrassed and I did not want to embarrass her further.

If the FA's are only doing one pass in an over two hour flight, why doesn't AS offer a preorder, prepay option for something fresh? Food waste problem solved and AS has happy fliers. As far as bringing food on the plane,almost no one does that and the ones I have seen finish their meal before pushback. I love garlic. I shall see what Bambuza has to offer with lots of garlic in it for my next flight.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 9:42 pm

You make some good points. You mention "Fresh Food" more than once. The only flight I fly under 1100 miles repeatedly is SEA-DEN-SEA. Those are after I have flown ANC-SEA or return. The service has gone notably downhill since mid-summer. The FA's always state that there will be only one pass through the Y cabin. Rarely, they mention that we can come to the back of the plane if we need something else. The last time I did that I was denied. I wanted a Rum, Coke Zero and glass of ice. A while later the flight attendant came to my seat and said the hesa FA had looked through their manual and it was ambiguous. I got a Rum, Ice and nothing to mix it with. Needless to say, the rum was left in the seat pocket. I could tell the FA was embarrassed and I did not want to embarrass her further.

If the FA's are only doing one pass in an over two hour flight, why doesn't AS offer a preorder, prepay option for something fresh? Food waste problem solved and AS has happy fliers. As far as bringing food on the plane,almost no one does that and the ones I have seen finish their meal before pushback. I love garlic. I shall see what Bambuza has to offer with lots of garlic in it for my next flight.
The number of carts being offered on a particular flight are determined by Alaska management, not the FA's. I would hope the FA's would do what they're supposed to and offer the number required. Most flights around three hours and less are require one cart, longer flights require two carts. During the "in between" you should be welcome to come to the galley for an other requests, though there isn't an announcement that says so. Some make that kind of announcement on their own. That said, there is also no announcement stating that there is "only one pass through the cabin". If some are making such an announcement then they're making it up on their own. I have not heard such an announcement myself.

As for why AS doesn't offer fresh food on flights under 1100 miles - I don't know. Yes, Pre-ordering should solve the waste problem. Again, a management decision. Based on what? I have no idea. With respect to bringing food inside the airplane, it's simply not true that "almost no one does that". Especially on longer flights. LOTS of people bring food from inside the terminal - especially since Covid and the reduction in service that happened at the onset. Bringing food on the plane is VERY common. That said, if you want to get something from Bambuza with garlic in it and eat it in the plane, go for it. Why wouldn't you? Plenty of others do. Another option - if, as you say, you're flying ANC-SEA-DEN on a connection, order something from the ANC-SEA flight to take with you. Get a cheese plate and a sandwich or a protein plate and bring one with you to the shorter flight.

Your kind of shooting the messenger here. I was just offering suggestions that, honestly, I'm sure you're already fully aware of.
PDXFlyBoy and be_rettSEA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.