Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Complimentary Upgrades on AA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2022, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Xrayman
0/4 for a very short jumper connection from MKE to ORD or vice versa. However I don’t think it was eligible for FC upgrade given that I purchased the connection via AS to and from SEA to ORD.
Codeshare flights operated by AA and marketed by AS are eligible for upgrades.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
I know if you have status with the AA Advantage program you can call and link reservations to extend your benefits to a pax you're traveling with on a separate PNR. Does anyone know if AS elites can do this too or would you have to be on the same reservation to share benefits?
Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
I know if you have status with the AA Advantage program you can call and link reservations to extend your benefits to a pax you're traveling with on a separate PNR. Does anyone know if AS elites can do this too or would you have to be on the same reservation to share benefits?
In my experience, yes! I had a recent ORD-BCN international flight and they actually linked the 2 reservations (mine and my gf’s, which was booked with miles) and allowed me to select MCE seats for us next to each other for free. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by whitf00t
In my experience, yes! I had a recent ORD-BCN international flight and they actually linked the 2 reservations (mine and my gf’s, which was booked with miles) and allowed me to select MCE seats for us next to each other for free. I was pleasantly surprised.
That's awesome! I wish AS would offer this, especially since they don't allow you to mix payment methods on the same PNR.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
No! Linking PNRs only advises AS that the two parties are traveling together. There is no Elite inheritance for benefits as there is within AAdvantage.

James
Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
No! Linking PNRs only advises AS that the two parties are traveling together. There is no Elite inheritance for benefits as there is within AAdvantage.

James
I know the policy on AS. I was asking about an AS elite traveling on AA. It sounds like I'll be able to share benefits with a companion on a separate reservation on that airline.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I know the policy on AS. I was asking about an AS elite traveling on AA. It sounds like I'll be able to share benefits with a companion on a separate reservation on that airline.
Ah, my apologies. I hadn't considered that benefit flying AA as I am usually flying alone or with a companion in the same PNR. It is a nice additional benefit if it applies to AS Elites flying AA.

I have always thought it to be a bit odd that one AA Elite in a multi-passenger PNR could select MCE seating and link another party to extend that benefit and depleting a significant proportion of MCE inventory. Adding the free checked bags & complimentary alcoholic beverage seems pretty generous.

As a side point, when I have my companion (lower status) in a PNR where I am the primary, we are listed alphabetically on the upgrade waitlist so he is always ahead of me. In one instance, the GA proactively split our PNR and upgraded my partner into the last F seat.

James
Old Dec 30, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Extraordinary1
I was wondering out of curiosity what the probability of being upgraded on AA as an AS elite was. Do any of you have a rough estimate of what percentage of AA flights you received an upgrade?
For me it was 50%. I took 8 AA flights in 2022 and got upgraded on 4 of them as a 75k (and 2 of these upgrades were on short hops to a small city). But I only fly American when I'm unable to take Alaska at all since I know my upgrade chances on AS are way higher. I basically never count on getting upgraded on AA esp for a hub flight, but if it happens it's a nice surprise.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Ah, my apologies. I hadn't considered that benefit flying AA as I am usually flying alone or with a companion in the same PNR. It is a nice additional benefit if it applies to AS Elites flying AA.

I have always thought it to be a bit odd that one AA Elite in a multi-passenger PNR could select MCE seating and link another party to extend that benefit and depleting a significant proportion of MCE inventory. Adding the free checked bags & complimentary alcoholic beverage seems pretty generous.

As a side point, when I have my companion (lower status) in a PNR where I am the primary, we are listed alphabetically on the upgrade waitlist so he is always ahead of me. In one instance, the GA proactively split our PNR and upgraded my partner into the last F seat.

James
It is generous and very helpful! My boyfriend and I frequently travel under separate PNRs because my ticket is usually paid for through my work and even when it isn't, we usually pay cash for mine and use miles for his to maintain my status. I've always found it frustrating that my benefits don't transfer to him in this situation on Alaska. This is definitely an area where AA has an advantage (no pun intended but there it is anyway).
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 8:01 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Any news on extending AA upgrades to MVP Gold? It’s been announced and supposed to happen “soon” but AS has been quiet.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by whitf00t
Did you do this over the phone or at the airport? My boyfriend and I are on two separate PNRs for an upcoming trip since my ticket was booked through work and when I called AA the agent said I couldn't link reservations and share benefits.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 4:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Did you do this over the phone or at the airport? My boyfriend and I are on two separate PNRs for an upcoming trip since my ticket was booked through work and when I called AA the agent said I couldn't link reservations and share benefits.
Twitter DM - in my experience, it’s the quickest and most lenient by far.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 6:04 pm

Brilliant! Thank you for the reminder about the Twitter DM! They moved him next to me in premium class as a courtesy.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:16 pm

My unscientific AA upgrade results over the last couple years as an AS 75K/100K (sample size is 30 or so segments):
Flights less than 2 hrs to/from a secondary market: ~75%.
Flights over 2 hrs to/from an AA hub: ~0.5%. I think I remember one, but I don't keep track.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Brilliant! Thank you for the reminder about the Twitter DM! They moved him next to me in premium class as a courtesy.
I agree...the AA Twitter team seems like they can handle just about anything....this is one area where AS is lacking to be honest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.