13.51%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

What Will Be Your Status for 2023?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2022, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
What Will Be Your Status for 2023?

This has been touched upon in several other threads but as the year comes to a close I thought it might be nice to have a dedicated discussion.

There seem to be a lot of moving parts - bonus EQMs from flights in/out of Calf., credit card miles and "We're sorry" EQMs. This all has me completely unsure what my status is going to be. And this really sucks because I basically mileage ran to make 75K and would do more if needed.... but I don't know if I need to. Anyone else in the same boat? I guess another way of asking this is, who has confirmed 2023 status, including the full perks? (50K bonus miles, lounge passes for 75K, extra choice for 100K, etc.).

I'm pretty sure I've got 75K wrapped up as I can subtract my Calf. miles and don't have any credit card bonus miles and still make it. The only potential problem is I have 5K "we're sorry" EQMs and if for some reason those don't count towards full status I'm out of luck (and, again, would mileage run before the end of the year). From what it says in the email and what some knowledgeable posters here have told me I'll be fine but I'd sure feel a lot better if my account reflected my status with the "perks" and maybe an email.

Reports in other threads are that statuses are being manually processed and won't be fully shown until the end the year. That's just ridiculous if true. I'm roughly a week passed where I should have made 75K and zero emails or other indication that I've made it.

So, how are you all feeling about 2023?
Old Nov 19, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Barely requalifying for Gold this year with about 41.5k EQM through EOY with current booked/planned travel. I would have done a quick SFO-SEA-SFO mileage run if necessary (had a one-day SFO-SEA-PDX-SFO MR to hit the rare/retirement aircraft types - 737-700, A320, Q400 - booked, before shifting some organic travel around).

Lots of miles leakage from BIS miles flown this year to EQM due to:
* having flown more award
* having flown low-earning AA and QR economy fares long haul
* some B6 and UA travel when needed
jiburi and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
I did a text chat with Customer Service a few days ago, and the agent was able to tell me my "true" status miles very easily. I then asked point blank "So from what you see, I have re-qualified as 100k and will receive the choice benefit when that is rolled out?" and she immediately answered "Yes". Screenshot, done.
mtofell likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Gold,, Hilton HHonors Gold
I am doing a mileage run to get to 100K. I am at 88K now according to the app. But I just realized that I will need 24 segments on AS metal. I will be at 23. So I need one more flight but I am not sure if this needs to be a revenue flight or if it can be BA Avios booking on AS metal. I like the idea of a text chat with the agent. GOing to do that now.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by blindy
I am doing a mileage run to get to 100K. I am at 88K now according to the app. But I just realized that I will need 24 segments on AS metal. I will be at 23. So I need one more flight but I am not sure if this needs to be a revenue flight or if it can be BA Avios booking on AS metal. I like the idea of a text chat with the agent. GOing to do that now.
Has to be a revenue ticket I believe, even if using Avios. To get that extra segment, just add a connection as part of your run? Unless it's already connection heavy.
beckoa likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
I have two mileage runs in December to secure my 75k status for next year. I didn't fly any of the bonus routes but I did receive 5k EQM from the "I'm sorry" email at the beginning of the year. I guess I should ask them if this is going to create an issue for me before my trips. I'll cancel them and save the money if I'm not going to get the 50k bonus miles, lounge passes, or the ability to gift my bf MVP status.
mtofell likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I decided not to "feel unsure" about 2023 status over a month ago, and that MVPG would be fine enough for 2023. 26K miles (including 5 AS segments) just isn't worth the incremental cost for otherwise non-planned travel. $ and time better spent on my 2023 travels, and I'll be over 25% of the way to 2024 MVPG by mid-February.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 1:48 pm

Dropping to MVP for 2023. Used a lot of miles this year in preparation of devaluation which I predict is coming.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
2023 Status: Where you stand

Hey there, 100K chiming in. I had about 140K EQMs last year, more than anytime my entire life on *any* airline - and I think that was mostly due to AS's EQM bonuses, however my BIS was well over 100K. This year, I traveled a bit less, hardly any international (no Belize, no Middle East, no Europe) and I'm only going to end the year at about 55K. I'm really not sure that 75K bennies are worth killing 2 weekends and $2k to get the status. I've even made my Alaska - Florida routings include flights thru LA to boost my EQMs a bit, but it won't be enough to move the needle.

This past year as a 100K was a bit disappointing - had some major IRROPS and essentially told by AS "tough luck" - even one time where there were NO rampers to marshall us in for 25 minutes (and causing me to misconnect, but because our initial delay was due to weather, they wouldn't budge - even though I would have made my connection). Upgrade processor is still wrong, so I'll just take advantage of it as a Gold since I've missed out on 10 or so upgrades this year when U space is open and AS reservations wouldn't clear. I finally learned I can just PAY for the upgrade and get a refund from Customer Care. Priority bags - total farce. My bags continue to be the last off - doesn't matter if its Orlando, Seattle, Juneau, Anchorage. FAs have really seemed to stop caring - "Committed to Kindness" is gone from their nametags, and seems to be gone from everything. That all being said, I stopped in September busting my *ss to make 75K and flew a lot of Delta in and out of Juneau, at least they have been 20x more consistent on their first class service. And the seatback TVs are a big + for me and my ADHD.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 2:19 pm

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately (WAAAAY too much flying in the past 6 months), I'll have around 200K EQMs by 12/31. Yeah, I think I'm set. Just wish they would roll over the extra to 2024.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I qualified for 75K primarily due to the 50% EQM bonus during all of 2021 so I will need to be content with MVPG next year which honestly works for me since it allows for companion upgrades to Premium and First Class as well as double RDMs. I am trying to get some flights booked for early 2023 before I lose my 75K status so I can lock in Premium Class seats and I think if I join the upgrade waitlist as a 75K, I should maintain that status on the upgrade list as long as there are no irrops and/or schedule changes. I'm wondering if the same holds true for the upgrades on AA flights.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note

Merged similar threads and retitled. A poll will likely be added after Thanksgiving.

dayone, AS Moderator
mtofell likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Thought about going for 75K, but decided to stay back at Gold, largely because I have a ton of DL rollover MQMs from credit card spend, and with the higher qualifications there coming, expecting Platinum will be more valuable on DL next year and especially '24. One big advantage for AS though is the 41" pitch in F. I don't need to lie flat on domestic flights, but it's noticeably less cramped than DL and AA's 36/37" pitch and I do most transcons in paid F. As long as they don't cut CA flying, I might go for 75K in the future when my rollover MQMs bleed off.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k - UA Premier Gold - AA Platinum Pro
Currently at 114,298 EQM's, 10k of which are confirmed "sorry," with 69 segments.

I have 9,374 miles to go on AS metal before the end of the year, which leaves me at 123,672.

I re-qualified for 100k in early October and received an email on 10/7 confirming "you've earned another year of MVP Gold 100K status!"

About 30 minutes later I received an email outlining the "choice benefit."

So far, for me, no issues on communications or clarity. Although based on what I've read from others, I sympathize and hope that you get some clarity!
Old Nov 20, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
dropping from MVPG to MVP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.