Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes in the Award Charts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2022, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Changes in the Award Charts

So when AS announced that there will be changes to the award chart in Dec 2022, does it mean we get 3 months before the change kicks in (march 2023) or pretty much they will announce a change which will be effective immediately in Dec 2022? Many thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
From the actual terms and conditions:

Alaska Airlines reserves the right to establish redemption rules and to set the number of miles required to obtain Mileage Plan benefits, including award travel and upgrades, which are subject to change at Alaska Airlines' sole discretion without notice.
They are not required to give you any notice or heads up.
be_rettSEA, aquanine and andrew148 like this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
If Emirates was any indication... they increased the prices RIGHT away and then winded down the relationship.
andrew148 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: NZ
Good question - I decided to hedge my bets on an intra-Asia trip and made a booking at the current rates. I can always cancel and only lose the partner booking fee. If they introduce region based award charts covering all carriers then many of the sweet spots in the current charts will almost certainly disappear. But of course at this stage we don't know what the changes to the award charts will involve.
ft543 and andrew148 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by andrew148
So when AS announced that there will be changes to the award chart in Dec 2022, does it mean we get 3 months before the change kicks in (march 2023) or pretty much they will announce a change which will be effective immediately in Dec 2022? Many thanks!
Spend your miles as quickly as you can. Pretty soon a coach seat between PAE and SEA will cost 50,000 miles.

Delta has it's SkyPesos; what are we to call Alaska miles?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 11:44 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by champignon
DevaluationPlan
Old Nov 4, 2022, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Spend your miles as quickly as you can. Pretty soon a coach seat between PAE and SEA will cost 50,000 miles.

Riiiight.

i redeem SkyMiles all the time on domestic itineraries. I can assure you that it’s not going to take 50,000 miles minimum to make an AS domestic coach redemption of any length.You will probably see the AS/AA chart take over for AA domestic.

The stuff that is probably going to get sucked out is the extreme value partner stuff (like Cathay J for 50k) on a distance based chart. To be fair a good chunk of the value left Al ready, an AA J redemption on QR is cheaper than an AS redemption, IB, AY are similar, MH is a joke. There’s a possibility that there may be value on the top end if they do a chart like CX or BA though.

https://princeoftravel.com/blog/the-...r-award-chart/
https://princeoftravel.com/blog/brit...er-award-chart

They could have something like 70k distance-based to Japan/Europe, 80k to SE Asia (with like 30-40k on top for F) and while it would still be a devaluation it would be competitive with UA and others. We’ll just have to see how they set bands, etc.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 3:36 pm

So I was trying to get some clarity from AS on how they charge taxes and fees for mixed award cabins and the responses are VERY worrying. Phone agents, including international desk, said they don't have any idea or control over how pricing happens including on taxes and fees and that I should write into customer care. Customer care said they are not able to provide any information and that the international desks are only ones that have that info. So ok giving me the run around because Alaska is likely chagrinning illegal taxes and fees when booked in AS premium cabin but partner coach award ticket (e.g. charging partner premium taxes and fees for coach bookings).

But biggest worry, all agents basically said they have no control or information on award pricing since its now whatever the system / computer tells you it is now. Essentially they are already trained to tell you its all dynamic pricing. Sad but this is mileage plan's future.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by olouie
So I was trying to get some clarity from AS on how they charge taxes and fees for mixed award cabins and the responses are VERY worrying. Phone agents, including international desk, said they don't have any idea or control over how pricing happens including on taxes and fees and that I should write into customer care. Customer care said they are not able to provide any information and that the international desks are only ones that have that info. So ok giving me the run around because Alaska is likely chagrinning illegal taxes and fees when booked in AS premium cabin but partner coach award ticket (e.g. charging partner premium taxes and fees for coach bookings).

But biggest worry, all agents basically said they have no control or information on award pricing since its now whatever the system / computer tells you it is now. Essentially they are already trained to tell you its all dynamic pricing. Sad but this is mileage plan's future.
It actually all makes perfect sense. AS gives you miles based on distance, class of travel, and your status in the Mileage Plan. The price of these tickets has obviously been going up significantly, so each mile you get will cost you more to obtain.

When it comes time to cashing in those miles for, say, an airline ticket, the number of miles required is inflating considerably faster than the inflation rate, which is to say a lot. So, you are getting screwed on both ends; it costs you more to accrue the miles and then when you get them they are worth less in terms of "free" carriage in the future on Alaska Airlines or its partner airlines.

When you run the math and compare the cost of buying a ticket vs. obtaining one for miles plus cash in some manner, you find that those miles are worth around half a US cent each at present value. When you use your miles in this way you don't accrue any more miles on the trips you take, which means that the miles are worth less than half a cent each, if you think that status in the frequent flyer program is worth something (I do). So that would be a whole other side calculation which would involve how much you might spend on checked luggage, lounge access, etc. Plus, if you have status, when an itinerary gets screwed up due to flight cancelations, weather, change of your own plans, etc., you are much more likely to get helped out of your situation and at less or no cost, if you have status vs. not having status.

Putting all of this together, other than for the most basic and least demanding back of the plane flyer, say someone who seldom flies, whose time is worth little, who is imbued with limitless patience, taking the family to go visit relatives on an occasional trip, the miles are worth very little to nothing at this point in time. If you fly enough to get status, better to pay for the flights and then use the miles for a little trip on a route with open seats, a trip you wouldn't otherwise have taken. That can be fun too, but going to a lot of effort to accrue miles and, perish the thought, buying them, that's just a really big waste of your time in most cases.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
From the actual terms and conditions:

They are not required to give you any notice or heads up.
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
If Emirates was any indication... they increased the prices RIGHT away and then winded down the relationship.
But didn't they promise after the EK fiasco to give ample time (maybe the wording was 3 months like the OP said)?
Old Nov 4, 2022, 4:46 pm

It actually all makes perfect sense. AS gives you miles based on distance, class of travel, and your status in the Mileage Plan. The price of these tickets has obviously been going up significantly, so each mile you get will cost you more to obtain.

When it comes time to cashing in those miles for, say, an airline ticket, the number of miles required is inflating considerably faster than the inflation rate, which is to say a lot. So, you are getting screwed on both ends; it costs you more to accrue the miles and then when you get them they are worth less in terms of "free" carriage in the future on Alaska Airlines or its partner airlines.

When you run the math and compare the cost of buying a ticket vs. obtaining one for miles plus cash in some manner, you find that those miles are worth around half a US cent each at present value. When you use your miles in this way you don't accrue any more miles on the trips you take, which means that the miles are worth less than half a cent each, if you think that status in the frequent flyer program is worth something (I do). So that would be a whole other side calculation which would involve how much you might spend on checked luggage, lounge access, etc. Plus, if you have status, when an itinerary gets screwed up due to flight cancelations, weather, change of your own plans, etc., you are much more likely to get helped out of your situation and at less or no cost, if you have status vs. not having status.

Putting all of this together, other than for the most basic and least demanding back of the plane flyer, say someone who seldom flies, whose time is worth little, who is imbued with limitless patience, taking the family to go visit relatives on an occasional trip, the miles are worth very little to nothing at this point in time. If you fly enough to get status, better to pay for the flights and then use the miles for a little trip on a route with open seats, a trip you wouldn't otherwise have taken. That can be fun too, but going to a lot of effort to accrue miles and, perish the thought, buying them, that's just a really big waste of your time in most cases.
Perhaps true for some, but Alaska really isn't too competitive outside its mileage program. Once they go dynamic its gets even less competitive since eventually they will just follow the others into dynamic earning as well. Might as well get way more routes, lie flats transcon, and better IRROps handling from the big 3 once the milage program loses its advantages.
notquiteaff and mildfrequence like this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
But didn't they promise after the EK fiasco to give ample time (maybe the wording was 3 months like the OP said)?
Then they did similar in Feb 2022 and gave a few weeks notice? https://thepointsguy.com/news/alaska...s-devaluation/
Old Nov 4, 2022, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Perhaps true for some, but Alaska really isn't too competitive outside its mileage program. Once they go dynamic its gets even less competitive since eventually they will just follow the others into dynamic earning as well. Might as well get way more routes, lie flats transcon, and better IRROps handling from the big 3 once the milage program loses its advantages.
All of this is going to depend on your own travel pattern. I don't personally think that concentrating miles traveled with Alaska makes very much sense, unless you happen to live in Seattle (from whence most of the longer haul services radiate) or if your travel is heavily concentrated on the West Coast. The only places I frequently travel within the USA are the Boise to Seattle and Boise to San Diego routes. On these routes, AS is the dominant carrier. But I actually fly way more miles with BA than I do with AS, so I'm transitioning all of my mileage accrual to the BA Executive Club program and will lose my status with AS in a couple of months, which is fine because I have higher status with BA (Emerald) than I do with AS.

This is not to say that I think BA Avios are worth that much more than AS miles, but the status and its benefits with BA is worth more to me.

If I was flying extensively and long haul in the US, and not originating from the West Coast (especially Seattle) I'd be looking at other carriers, that much is for sure.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 5:15 pm

All of this is going to depend on your own travel pattern. I don't personally think that concentrating miles traveled with Alaska makes very much sense, unless you happen to live in Seattle (from whence most of the longer haul services radiate) or if your travel is heavily concentrated on the West Coast. The only places I frequently travel within the USA are the Boise to Seattle and Boise to San Diego routes. On these routes, AS is the dominant carrier. But I actually fly way more miles with BA than I do with AS, so I'm transitioning all of my mileage accrual to the BA Executive Club program and will lose my status with AS in a couple of months, which is fine because I have higher status with BA (Emerald) than I do with AS.

This is not to say that I think BA Avios are worth that much more than AS miles, but the status and its benefits with BA is worth more to me.

If I was flying extensively and long haul in the US, and not originating from the West Coast (especially Seattle) I'd be looking at other carriers, that much is for sure.
Oof. BA going spend based earning too. I used to be Gold on BA and the benefits were very meh. Luckily OW emerald gets most of the stuff I care about since I still fly BA a lot. I'll stick with AS for now, but easy enough to go back to AA and get EXP with their new LP system.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Oof. BA going spend based earning too. I used to be Gold on BA and the benefits were very meh. Luckily OW emerald gets most of the stuff I care about since I still fly BA a lot. I'll stick with AS for now, but easy enough to go back to AA and get EXP with their new LP system.
BA hasn't clarified what they are actually going to be doing, but in any event this applies to Avios points and not to the Tier Points which grant status. Looking at what has been speculated about regarding BA's move to a spend based granting of Avios Points, I don't think it will make very much difference for me, as someone flying in paid First Class most of the time. If BA eliminates their First Class cabins altogether, which I think is a real possibility at some point, then that might make a lot of difference and then I'd have to reevaluate.

But all these loyalty programs are 2 way streets, and it's easy enough to jettison a carrier in favor of another one should the circumstances merit. Most likely in that case you would be able to get the new carrier to do a status match for long enough that you could attain similar status with them and remain relatively well-treated in the overall scheme of things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.