Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS to AA luggage question - overnight layover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum

I have an AS award ticket SEA-DFW-CVG (all one reservation). The first flight (AS372) lands at DFW at 11:53pm. The next leg to CVG (AA2166) depart the next morning at 10:21am.

Will I be able to check my luggage in at SEA to go all the way to CVG? Or will I need to collect at DFW? Since I’m landing so late at DFW and heading straight to a hotel I don’t want to wait for luggage. But making this with all hand luggage is going to be a challenge. Trying to prepare myself. Any advice/experience appreciated.

I did try and do a search, but I’m not as adept at searching via the mobile interface. Feel free to redirect me if an answer is obvious somewhere else (or if this should be an AA forum question).

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bellerina
I have an AS award ticket SEA-DFW-CVG (all one reservation). The first flight (AS372) lands at DFW at 11:53pm. The next leg to CVG (AA2166) depart the next morning at 10:21am.

Will I be able to check my luggage in at SEA to go all the way to CVG? Or will I need to collect at DFW? Since I’m landing so late at DFW and heading straight to a hotel I don’t want to wait for luggage. But making this with all hand luggage is going to be a challenge. Trying to prepare myself. Any advice/experience appreciated.

I did try and do a search, but I’m not as adept at searching via the mobile interface. Feel free to redirect me if an answer is obvious somewhere else (or if this should be an AA forum question).

Thanks in advance.
Since your layover is less than 12 hours, AS should check your baggage through to it's final destination. Confirm that the baggage tags have CVG as the destination with DFW as the intermediate connection.

Enjoy your flight to Kentucky....

James
Bellerina likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
When I do this on alaska like on a return from hawaii trip where I land in Seattle around 10 pm them 8 am departure they will hold onto the bags.

i don’t know how this will operate with American. Since it’s a single booked ticket you woukd get luggage transferred between AS to AS. Given the long layover I don’t know what AS does. Do AS hold baggage overnight, then give it to AA. does AS hold it overnight, or will AS reject it because it’s too long on their standards/ policy.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Can confirm they checked it all the way through to CVG. Now fingers crossed it actually makes it there.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Oct 29, 2022, 1:32 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by Bellerina
Can confirm they checked it all the way through to CVG. Now fingers crossed it actually makes it there.

Thanks for the advice!
throw an apple AirTag in there. DFW doesn’t have an automated cold bag storage system…this is a thing at some airports. At DFW it’s a manual process where you hope multiple workers across 2 shifts maintain visibility of your bag until it’s picked for your 2nd flight, 12 hours later. Not saying they don’t deal with a few hundred like it every night and usually get it right. Just saying it’s not an automated process..

Last edited by joeyE; Oct 29, 2022 at 5:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.