Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How to preserve a discount code - just send to email?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2022, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

I've got a discount code applied for a flight (early next year, but I don't think it matters). I'm the only one on that reservation. I'd like to cancel that flight and use the discount code on a different flight that includes another passenger. I did call in, and the rep said that I could just choose "Send the canceled ticket to my email." and I should get the discount code back in the email. Before I actually did that, I thought I'd check here to see if that actually works in other people's experience.

(If I want to use the discount code for a flight for just myself, I'd just change the existing flight. The trick here is adding another person, and I don't think I can do that online. I also think it's $200 off each fare, so for two people on a $250 per person fare that would normally be $500 total, and with the discount I would pay a total of $100 - is that true? If it's just a straight $200 off the total none of this matters...)

Terms from the discount code:

Discount: Valid for one discount of $200 USD off base fare levels published at alaskaair.com. One discount allowed per reservation. Discount not valid on all fares, including but not limited to Mileage Plan Award Reservations, Alaska Airlines Vacation packages, tour or contract fares, most discounted first class fares and many privately filed fares.

Reservations & Ticketing: Valid for new ticket purchases only at alaskaair.com. Discount Code cannot be applied to tickets that have already been purchased and issued. Discount Code is relinquished at time of ticketing and void for future changes or purchases. Credit card required for purchase.

Passengers: The recipient of this discount code must be one of the travelers . Discount is valid for up to 7 people traveling together and booked and ticketed at the same time in the same reservation and at the same fare.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: Yes
You might be able to have AS reissue a new discount code, but the T&C's state that once you use it that it's gone. I have had a couple re-instated, but it's at the discretion of AS when you ask Customer Care.

Discount Code is relinquished at time of ticketing and void for future changes or purchases.

Last edited by anteater; Oct 27, 2022 at 3:40 pm
Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Unless they tell you they can and will reissue the cert, you're not gonna get it back when you cancel it, so don't go that route. I also think because you're already alone on the reservation, even an agent won't be able to add them to your existing reservation to preserve it through changing it. Reading through the terms you've posted, I don't see why it would be $200 per passenger. More likely, the discount would split across each pax, giving you each $100 off the fare for the new reservation, so unless you're MVP Gold or higher and hoping to both be upgraded, there's no real reason you need to be on the same reservation anyhow. Just change your ticket to the flight you want, and book a new one for your +1 on the same flight. There's an option to link your reservations after they're booked, but that really doesn't do a lot (other than try to keep you on the same flight again if this one is cancelled).
Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:59 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
your best bet keep the code (not guaranteed it will work) is to change your own ticket, then buy a separate ticket for the other person. You're definitely not going to get $200 per person, it will just be split across the two.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Unless they tell you they can and will reissue the cert, you're not gonna get it back when you cancel it, so don't go that route. I also think because you're already alone on the reservation, even an agent won't be able to add them to your existing reservation to preserve it through changing it. Reading through the terms you've posted, I don't see why it would be $200 per passenger. More likely, the discount would split across each pax, giving you each $100 off the fare for the new reservation, so unless you're MVP Gold or higher and hoping to both be upgraded, there's no real reason you need to be on the same reservation anyhow. Just change your ticket to the flight you want, and book a new one for your +1 on the same flight. There's an option to link your reservations after they're booked, but that really doesn't do a lot (other than try to keep you on the same flight again if this one is cancelled).
My thinking that it's interesting that it's phrased as a discount off the fare, not a discount off the total, and I thought I'd seen some lower-value ones ($25) bring the fare down for each person, not just bring the total down. And yes, I'm MVP Gold, so the potential upgrade is interesting (but certainly not a dealbreaker).
Old Oct 31, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by James Moore
My thinking that it's interesting that it's phrased as a discount off the fare, not a discount off the total, and I thought I'd seen some lower-value ones ($25) bring the fare down for each person, not just bring the total down. And yes, I'm MVP Gold, so the potential upgrade is interesting (but certainly not a dealbreaker).
Haven't redeemed one of these for multiple person reservation, but I’d be surprised if it was $200 per person.

The discount is in fact applied to just the base fare component. The taxes/fees aren’t discounted (at least for the discount codes that I’ve been issued).

I learned this when trying to use one of these codes for the first time for a total fare that was only $10 or so more than the value of the discount code, and wondering why I was being quoted a price greater than $10. Had to go into the cost breakdown to see what was going on. Needless to say, I didn’t use the code on that reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.