Wiki Posts
Search

Weight and Balance constrained MAX 9

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2022, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Weight and Balance constrained MAX 9

Something truly odd happened today... AS 621 SAN-SEA was practically empty. The entire upgrade list cleared, still open first class seats. 3 people in Premium.

There were so few people they had to redo all the seat assignments for Weight and Balance... felt like a Q400 flight with the agents and flight attendants telling people to remain aft of Row 27.

I took a photo after boarding was complete, it was that jarring.

BUT.... fantastic service. Pre-board music running. PDB's offered. Food service fast and efficient. This one is going to Alaska listens for some serious kudos.

JPat likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That's pretty much the last aircraft you want too much weight in the nose!
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's pretty much the last aircraft you want too much weight in the nose!
Dark but true!
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wow! I once did a 738 SEA-GEG with three people total, we all got an upgrade!
Old Oct 27, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA HA AS
Same deal with southwest and their interisland flights when there are 100 open seats. They wanted about 15 people per "zone" on my flights this week HNL-KOA
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Something truly odd happened today... AS 621 SAN-SEA was practically empty. The entire upgrade list cleared, still open first class seats. 3 people in Premium. ....

fantastic service ... fast and efficient ...
cause and effect
be_rettSEA, royng and williwaw like this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Dark but true!
Isn't the 737 MAX design flaw that it actually has a tendency to go nose up (and stall), not nose down?
Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Isn't the 737 MAX design flaw that it actually has a tendency to go nose up (and stall), not nose down?
Nope, MCAS pushes the nose down to *prevent* a stall due to the larger engines. it’s designed to make the plane “feel” like an older 737 to a pilot hand flying.

When it goes haywire, it puts in so much nose down trim the pilots can’t fight back and you dive out of the sky.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:27 pm

Nope, MCAS pushes the nose down to *prevent* a stall due to the larger engines. it’s designed to make the plane “feel” like an older 737 to a pilot hand flying.

When it goes haywire, it puts in so much nose down trim the pilots can’t fight back and you dive out of the sky.
I believe Boeing has corrected the "haywire" scenario.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Yup, they absolutely have. The MAX is my favorite aircraft in the fleet.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:09 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Maybe cancel some of those empty flights instead AS's of essential service to parts of Mexico. They have been almost eliminated. I am so tired of my flights being cancelled. Enough flights to SAN and SJC. How about underserved destinations like ZLO. It is almost impossible to get a flight there even in high season and spring break. grrr.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by waddy
Same deal with southwest and their interisland flights when there are 100 open seats. They wanted about 15 people per "zone" on my flights this week HNL-KOA
OT, but they really don't seem to be getting a lot of traction interisland. A colleague who's flown with them says that when they're able to operate on time, it's great, because you can have a row all to yourself. Still don't understand why they thought it was a good idea to enter those markets. They can probably bleed Hawaiian enough to force their way in over time, but there have to be easier and cheaper places for them to expand.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by WrightHI
OT, but they really don't seem to be getting a lot of traction interisland. A colleague who's flown with them says that when they're able to operate on time, it's great, because you can have a row all to yourself. Still don't understand why they thought it was a good idea to enter those markets. They can probably bleed Hawaiian enough to force their way in over time, but there have to be easier and cheaper places for them to expand.
Yeah when I flew them (admittedly, Nov 2021, when the governor was telling everyone not to come) I think my WN interisland had about 40 pax LIH>HNL. The HA 717 carried more pax when I flew KOA>LIH a few days earlier. Does WN have dedicated interisland planes or do they tack the interisland flights on at the beginning or end of a trip to/from the mainland? If it's the latter I could see it making economic sense just to keep the planes moving and generating revenue, but yeah I have no idea how that could be profitable flying otherwise when your customers are paying $49.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 11:38 am
pxm

Originally Posted by skierchad
Yeah when I flew them (admittedly, Nov 2021, when the governor was telling everyone not to come) I think my WN interisland had about 40 pax LIH>HNL. The HA 717 carried more pax when I flew KOA>LIH a few days earlier. Does WN have dedicated interisland planes or do they tack the interisland flights on at the beginning or end of a trip to/from the mainland? If it's the latter I could see it making economic sense just to keep the planes moving and generating revenue, but yeah I have no idea how that could be profitable flying otherwise when your customers are paying $49.
I believe that most WN flights are continuations of flights from the mainland. The cost of the inter-island flights is currently $38 ow.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I was on 3 flights yesterday all with "weight and balance" concerns during a mileage run.

LAX to EWR, and the return flight EWR to LAX both were fairly light on passengers and so it made sense they had to move people around. Those were both on a MAX.

The weird thing was on my last leg home, LAX to SEA on a 737-900 the flight was completely full and they were making "weight and balance" announcements which I was like "what are we supposed to do? every seat & overhead will be full"...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.