Wiki Posts
Search

Four Routes Cut, including LAX-AUS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2022, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Four Routes Cut, including LAX-AUS

LAX-AUS, AUS-PSP, SAN-SBA, LAX-SLC. I flew LAX-AUS recently, one more route I'll move to DL, though I get it's highly competitive and typical of the routes AS likes to back down from.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/alaska...mestic-routes/
Old Oct 8, 2022, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Not surprised about LAX-AUS. Super competitive market with AA, UA, DL, WN and NK all in there as well. AS had some crazy fares here too - I just booked a first class one way ticket on AS for $169 a few days ago.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:41 am

Virgin America they aren't.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
LAX-AUS, AUS-PSP, SAN-SBA, LAX-SLC. I flew LAX-AUS recently, one more route I'll move to DL, though I get it's highly competitive and typical of the routes AS likes to back down from.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/alaska...mestic-routes/
Neither of the AUS routes ever made sense to me anyhow. AUS-PSP? Seriously? I predicted the demise of that route the moment I saw the press release that it had been added.

And AUS-LAX, something had to give. AUS has more non-stop service to LAX than literally any other airport and that has really never made sense to me either. AUS has non-stop service to LAX from:

Alaska, American, Delta, Southwest, Spirit, and United. That is just way, way to much competition for a low yield route. Someone had to cry uncle and I guess it was AS.

Regards
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by StrandedinLA
Virgin America they aren't.
To be fair, Virgin America also flamed out some service in AUS, like AUS-DAL.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
To be fair, Virgin America also flamed out some service in AUS, like AUS-DAL.
I always thought VX used that round to keep gate utilization high at DAL.

Just need AS to keep up SFO, SJC, and SAN from AUS, where they have about 30-50% of the seat capacity. They've upgraded the E175s to 737s and A320s out of the Bay Area to AUS, would love to see them experiment with STS-AUS if they needed somewhere to redeploy the E175s.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
That sucks. The AUS-LAX route on AS was nice. I liked it better on the E175’s with Horizon. Completely cut or just cutbacks?
Old Oct 9, 2022, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
… would love to see them experiment with STS-AUS if they needed somewhere to redeploy the E175s.
that *might* last three months
eponymous_coward and ACBLtd like this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:28 pm
Community Director Emerita

My husband has flown the SAN-SBA route quite a bit. I'm sad to see it go. It looks as though AS has kept SAN-San Luis Obispo but it is not a daily route.
navydevildoc likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:34 pm
wmz

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I had LAX-SLC nonstop booked for January, which got the axe. It looks like SkyWest was operating the route, and they just kept the route but switched it from AS to AA. The fare is almost double on AA now - would AS rebook me on the AA flight nonstop? Routing through SFO or SEA would be a non-starter. Looks like AS really hates LAX.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
it couldn't hurt to ask, but high expectations for "sure, we'll do that" are probably misplaced
Old Oct 11, 2022, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
... if they needed somewhere to redeploy the E175s.
They need to redeploy the E175s where they stop flying the Q400s to maintain their network, not throw new spaghetti routes at the wall to see what sticks.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:24 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
They need to redeploy the E175s where they stop flying the Q400s to maintain their network, not throw new spaghetti routes at the wall to see what sticks.
And remember it can take two years for a new route to turn profitable...VX learned that lesson the hard way.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
And remember it can take two years for a new route to turn profitable...VX learned that lesson the hard way.
AS has tried to address that by staring routes with E175s, not A320s, bringing down that break-even time. I'd bet most of the PAE routes are breaking even in well under two years.

VX also had no idea what is was doing re: route development. SRB believed that easy-to-copy purple mood lighting and IFE would make up for a 10-20% share of seat capacity on most of VX's selected routes. It was clear VX was toast when it couldn't even compete with Smisek-era UA out of SFO. AS will continue to use the E175 to experiment intelligently, and experimentation means not all routes will make it, like SAN-SBA. As much as I'd love for them to experiment with STS-AUS, I get that it's a dream.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thatmikereed
That sucks. The AUS-LAX route on AS was nice. I liked it better on the E175’s with Horizon. Completely cut or just cutbacks?
It's completely cut in terms of AS metal, but there's a possibility they could add a "codeshare" AS flight number to the AA flights, since AS is partners with AA now, ever since AS joined OneWorld.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.