Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Which 100K Choice Benefit Would You Choose?
50,000 Bonus Miles
40.91%
Alaska Lounge+ Membership for 2023
27.27%
Gifting MVP Gold Status
27.27%
Complimentary Wi-Fi for a Year
4.55%
CLEAR Plus Membership
0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

100K Choice Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2022, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
I'm surprised that 50,000 bonus miles is leading the poll. Half the threads in this forum are those complaining that mileage redemption rates are awful. I voted Lounge access because it is a luxury I wouldn't pay for, but would utilize if it was free. Alas, I will not qualify for 100k anytime soon.
To each his/her own, of course, but I'm from the school of thought where you always make a choice predicated some kind of objective measure. In this case, an additional 25K EQMs triggers the 50K, whereas it had required 75K for the initial 50K--this jumps out at me immediately. It's sort of like in sports where if you get the #1 overall pick, always draft the best player, and not for need.

Having said that, the MVPG 75K is intriguing as a potential gift for a Bay Area flyer, in my view. Upgrade percentage should relatively high compared to SEA, 100% earning RDM bonus and enjoying elite status from day one, which I find a pretty good value proposition for anyone "new" and planning to fly quite a bit.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Visconti
To each his/her own, of course, but I'm from the school of thought where you always make a choice predicated some kind of objective measure. In this case, an additional 25K EQMs triggers the 50K, whereas it had required 75K for the initial 50K--this jumps out at me immediately. It's sort of like in sports where if you get the #1 overall pick, always draft the best player, and not for need.

Having said that, the MVPG 75K is intriguing as a potential gift for a Bay Area flyer, in my view. Upgrade percentage should relatively high compared to SEA, 100% earning RDM bonus and enjoying elite status from day one, which I find a pretty good value proposition for anyone "new" and planning to fly quite a bit.
That's not an option, but I assume you mean MVPG.
Visconti likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 9:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Got confirmation earning 100k with help of bonus EQM only will NOT earn you a choice benefit

Last edited by TravelingZoomer; Oct 8, 2022 at 11:26 am
Old Oct 8, 2022, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If I hadn't already renewed Lounge+, that would be my choice; next choice would be 50K miles. Either way, these are generous options IMO.

If I were to make 100K, which seems unlikely absent a flurry of EOY long-haul.
Eastbay1K and NoLaGent like this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Hilton Diamond
These choices make my decision not to go for 100K next year as it is not worth spending to get the extra 20K EQM I would need:

1. 50K miles would be my choice but I have plenty and use these mostly for my friends and family.
2. Don't know anyone who needs gold status
3. Already have lounge + membership which expires the end of July so the value is only for less than half a year. Plus I use CC benefit for most of the fee.
4. I don't use wifi on board

Will make 75K and hope to get some upgrades. Also, if I want to pay for first class I have found the AA flights to be much cheaper and pretty nice.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer;[url=tel:34664831
34664831]Got confirmation earning 100k with help of bonus EQM only will NOT earn you a choice benefit
I can confirm that this is correct. 🤙🏻🍹
beckoa likes this.

Last edited by anteater; Oct 8, 2022 at 7:48 pm
Old Oct 9, 2022, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by mtnsider
These choices make my decision not to go for 100K next year as it is not worth spending to get the extra 20K EQM...
Ah, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to MR it but if it's only, say, 5K away? Sure, I'd do that in a heartbeat. These FF currencies can only go down in value and the only hedge is to accumulate more whenever possible. The lounge access is a nice option, if it weren't for my already having bought up 2 years and planning to use one (or a couple) of my Amex credits. As to wifi, I have T-Mobile. MVPG gift is nice if one can find a person who will actually fly that much and doesn't already have status (a new first year road warrior?) or ability to request a match, which I'd imagine to be a very rare demographic.

After having some time to mull it over, I'm with the FT'ers who find these choice benefits pretty generous, all things considered and compared to their peers. Finally, while the SWUs are challenging to use in this current environment, it isn't impossible to fathom that this time next year, they'll be much easier to apply.

PS - Had I known of these benefits, I would most certainly have considered taking the time to resolve that issue (just don't like calling CSRs unless absolutely necessary) where BA was charging OWE for paid J tickets' seat selection, rather than just immediately booking those series of TATLs on AF.

Last edited by Visconti; Oct 9, 2022 at 7:09 am Reason: added PS...
Old Oct 9, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Is there a place I can track my actual EQM (not the one currently displayed with all kinds of bonuses)?
Old Oct 11, 2022, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by lonelygod
Is there a place I can track my actual EQM (not the one currently displayed with all kinds of bonuses)?
I think this may require a phone call to AS.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 9:39 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by lonelygod
When you log into your account click on "Overview and Elite Status". That will take you to a page that shows your available miles, current status and "Your year-to-date progress towards elite status". That will show your current elite miles and the miles you need to accrue to get to the next level. You may need to scroll down to see this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 9:51 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by BOB W
When you log into your account click on "Overview and Elite Status". That will take you to a page that shows your available miles, current status and "Your year-to-date progress towards elite status". That will show your current elite miles and the miles you need to accrue to get to the next level. You may need to scroll down to see this.
I think the issue is the counter shows ALL eqms earned, both from organic flying as well as promos (e.g. the double EQM promo for CA flights).

To be eligible for the 100k choice, you need to know only the EQMs earned organically which is not what the counter shows as the counter includes both organically earned EQMs and promo EQMs.

Would suggest the easiest - from a customer perspective - would be for AS to add another counter titled something like, "progress to 75k choice benefit" or "progress to 100k choice benefit" which only reflect organically earned EQMs.
ACBLtd, NoLaGent, anteater and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
I am still pissy about the AL+ benefit. It would have been my no brainer choice... but because they rolled out the new program (with incentives to renew) in the fall last year, almost all elites have renewal dates in September or October. I had just renewed my AL+ a week before this e-mail. I am willing to bet most of us are in this boat. If they had said it's a year after your paid term ends, sign me up. But they know that, so they didn't offer it.

So, then I look at Wi-Fi, but I mostly fly for work, where I can expense it. So, no value.

Anyone I would gift status to is already a gold or higher, so nope.

That's how I end up with most likely picking miles... and I already have almost 2MM sitting in the account. I wouldn't be surprised if most folks end down this path.
BW Flyer likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
I am still pissy about the AL+ benefit. It would have been my no brainer choice... but because they rolled out the new program (with incentives to renew) in the fall last year, almost all elites have renewal dates in September or October. I had just renewed my AL+ a week before this e-mail. I am willing to bet most of us are in this boat. If they had said it's a year after your paid term ends, sign me up. But they know that, so they didn't offer it.

So, then I look at Wi-Fi, but I mostly fly for work, where I can expense it. So, no value.

Anyone I would gift status to is already a gold or higher, so nope.

That's how I end up with most likely picking miles... and I already have almost 2MM sitting in the account. I wouldn't be surprised if most folks end down this path.
I am in the same position as you. I will make 75K this year but have no desire to try to get 100K. My Lounge+ expired September 30 and I would not wait until Jan. 1 to get the free membership. I tend to use multiple lounges on my trips, so waiting until then is a non-starter.

My family and friends are Gold or higher or they do not fly much. I do not use wifi when I travel. When I was working my company paid for it also. 1.5 million miles is plenty, but the 50K would be my choice also.

I wish AS would offer a larger discount for 75K's who buy lounge access...
Old Oct 12, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, United MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone know if AS can provide info for the number of EQM Bonus miles?
I will end the year with 103,561 EQM and by my calculations 100,033 non-bonused miles.
Since the non-bonused EQM is only 33 miles above the 100K Choice Benefit threshold, I want to make sure my numbers correspond to the AS count.
Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by pdxtraveller;[url=tel:34676051
34676051[/url]]Does anyone know if AS can provide info for the number of EQM Bonus miles?
I will end the year with 103,561 EQM and by my calculations 100,033 non-bonused miles.
Since the non-bonused EQM is only 33 miles above the 100K Choice Benefit threshold, I want to make sure my numbers correspond to the AS count.
Thanks
I recommend contacting AS in writing so you have their confirmation in writing. 🤙🏻🍹

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.