Wiki Posts
Search

How come I can't book refundable fare?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP
How come I can't book refundable fare?

I need to book a trip that is unconfirmed for next Monday. When I select unrefundfable fare which shows to be $1400 and add it to cart the price drop to 1100 in L and K fares which I don't believe to be fully refundable.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS
When you look at booking page..
look at upper left below dates
two bubbles show. Always has Lowest fare showing
choose refundable to see fully refundable fare

Lowest Fare. Refundable
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP
Yup that's what I did, had to call and get it booked.
pcoll likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
I need to book a trip that is unconfirmed for next Monday. When I select unrefundfable fare which shows to be $1400 and add it to cart the price drop to 1100 in L and K fares which I don't believe to be fully refundable.
Full-fare Y is refundable by default. You can have refundable fares in lower fare buckets. The quoted price includes a premium over the Main nonrefundable fare to make it refundable. You can confirm by clicking on the fare rules. The first bullet will say "This ticket is (non)(fully )refundable as appropriate.

If you click on the last bullet "View all fare rules," you can see the fare basis and the restrictions.

Here is an example of a YVR-SEA-JFK itinerary.

YVR-SEA-JFK - Cheapest nonrefundable fares.

Fare rules shows fare is nonrefundable.

O Fare basis, refunds indicated as No.

Lets look at the same flight, but refundable!

Same route, same flight, same day but refundable.

This fare is fully refundable.

Also an O fare basis but the last character R means refundable, N mean nonrefundable.

If you clicked on refundable and offered L & K fare classes, they too are refundable and easily confirmed. You don't need to purchase a full Y fare for refundability.

James
pcoll and NoLaGent like this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Sep 22, 2022 at 8:58 pm
Old Jul 19, 2023, 10:32 am

Alaska has now filed non-refundable Y* & J* fare basis codes in all markets. it is now impossible to buy a refundable business class ticket on Alaska from most online travel agents (Chase UR portal, AMEX Platinum) even when inventory is J1C0.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dannieboiz
AS, like other US carriers these days, has refundable fare offerings all the way down to their lowest fare classes. The AS refundable fares can be readily identified from the non-refundable counterparts as they will have an 'R' in last letter of fare basis code vs. an 'N' for non-refundable fares. Fares with a 'B' in second to last letter are Saver fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.