Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Help with AA (codeshare?) connection on AS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT

I am planning an SAN-PAE MR in November to earn MVPG for 2022, taking advantage of the double EQM promo. After a recent schedule change, nonstop is not available on Saturday, so I decided to fly via PHX to maximize miles. PHX-PAE departs PHX at 8:15 pm, last AA SAN-PHX arrives at 6:38 PM, but only the earlier SAN-PHX flights are offered as connections on the AS website. Fares for all 4 AA SAN-PHX that day on their website are identical, AS CS was unable to manually move me to the later flight, I prefer not to spend most of Saturday afternoon in a PHX Admirals Club watching college football.

Any suggestions?
As it is an AS ticket, I have not yet tried contacting AA.
Might the later flight appear as an option at check in?
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if you’re referring to SDC, AA website/app will offer options at OLCI (T-24 hrs) for your originally booked flight
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:02 pm

Is it cost prohibitive to buy the two legs separately?
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:14 pm

So did you confirm the schedule change on the app, and then call in to ask about the last segmemt? Or you just called in and they were unable to do it?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aliquot
Yes.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
So did you confirm the schedule change on the app, and then call in to ask about the last segmemt? Or you just called in and they were unable to do it?
I purchased ticket after schedule change.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
if you’re referring to SDC, AA website/app will offer options at OLCI (T-24 hrs) for your originally booked flight
As AA segment is part of AS ticketed flight, will it be possible to take advantage of AA website/app SDC after AS OLCI?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
since you’re originating on AA, you’ll probably have to check in on AA (the AA PNR should be in your AS record)
Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Aliquot
If you buy the AA leg from AA you won't get 100% mileage earning unless it's a very expensive fare class. Buying it as a codeshare with a AS flight number is 100%. Given that OP said this is for a mileage run, booking on AA doesn't make much sense.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by remyjette
If you buy the AA leg from AA you won't get 100% mileage earning unless it's a very expensive fare class. Buying it as a codeshare with a AS flight number is 100%. Given that OP said this is for a mileage run, booking on AA doesn't make much sense.
The SAN-PHX flight is 500 miles. It doesn't matter what fare class it books into, it will earn the 500 mile minimum. AS doesn't market AA BE fares so there is no worry the flight won't earn in Mileage Plan.

SAN-PAE is 1080 miles × 2 with bonus = 2160 EQM
PHX-PAE is 1133 miles × 2 with bonus = 2266 EQM

SAN-PHX-PAE is 500 + 2266 = 2766 EQM.

Both itineraries earn 1 AS segment towards qualification of AS status.

If OP doesn't need to be in PAE, I would request SAN-SEA and claim ORC with the bonus.

James
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by diver858
I purchased ticket after schedule change.
So the issue is Alaska won't let you choose a certain AA flight on their codeshare. I've seen that a lot before. The ticket might even be cheaper on AA but Alaska just doesn't offer that connection. I am not sure why.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:53 am
Original Poster

SAN-PHX leg is part of a LEGAL CONNECTION SAN-PHX-PAE, on ONE AS ticket, I fully expect the first leg to qualify for 2X EQM.

As s0ssos indicates above, "... so the issue is Alaska won't let you choose a certain AA flight on their codeshare. I've seen that a lot before. The ticket might even be cheaper on AA but Alaska just doesn't offer that connection. I am not sure why...".
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
So the issue is Alaska won't let you choose a certain AA flight on their codeshare. I've seen that a lot before. The ticket might even be cheaper on AA but Alaska just doesn't offer that connection. I am not sure why.
probably married segment availability for that particular flight combination … it doesn’t matter if the particular bucket is available on each flight individually; AS has to make O/D inventory available
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:07 pm

Well, AA happens to love to sell you tickets with a 30 min connection or 4 hour connection, even when they have something in-between.
AS many times does not even show all the AA flights. For example, look at a route AS doesn't fly, SNA ORD. On Oct 12 AS shows you 2 flights, even though AA has 3 and the flight they don't show is the same price on AA as a flight they do show.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
What double miles promotion are you referring to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.