Baggage Guarantee

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
Baggage Guarantee

I flew SEA to IAD tonight.

I walked off the plane at 11:58.

My checked bag didn’t arrive until 12:23.

the agent, who was hanging out at the baggage area, was the first EVER to argue with me when I asked for my miles. He said “it wasn’t 11:58, it was 12:00”. I said okay that doesn’t matter, it’s still 12:23.

He said “my watch says it’s 12:22, so you won’t get anything”. I reminded him he said 12:00, so 22 was past the guarantee timeline. He was literally 10 feet from where bags come off.

I’ve never ever had anyone remotely contest baggage guarantee from Alaska until today. They are always so quick to say “here ya go!” Is this a DC thing? Or is this the new normal? My flying had been calm the last two months - but I’m back to weekly through end of year.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:51 am

I had a similar experience at EWR and after realizing the agent wouldn't budge at all I just relented and later called customer care to let them know. They apologized profusely, issued me the guarantee and said some of the agents at outstations are contracted by third parties. I would call customer care and explain your experience to them.

With how much AS advertises their baggage guarantee, I'm going to hold them to it.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by hpmh
I had a similar experience at EWR and after realizing the agent wouldn't budge at all I just relented and later called customer care to let them know. They apologized profusely, issued me the guarantee and said some of the agents at outstations are contracted by third parties. I would call customer care and explain your experience to them.

With how much AS advertises their baggage guarantee, I'm going to hold them to it.
Just before it gets to that point, I have asked for their name and badge number so I can provide it to customer care when I call in. That only happened once, but it produced the desired result. I didn’t have to call in.
buschoi and StrandedinLA like this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
I’m shocked … you were able to get to bag claim in time to be able to try to invoke the guarantee. We’re talking Dulles late night after all. For what it’s worth, hod no trouble claiming at DCA earlier this year.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: AS
I have had this happen more than once. Seems to happen more at out stations, stalling tactics have been employed by agents hoping to discourage me .
. Anything from “you need to wait for authorized person to come back from lunch” , “ the 20 minutes starts when bags start coming off carousel “ , ” sorry, ran out of vouchers, can’t help you” and the best “ we don’t do that anymore”.
be_rettSEA and beckoa like this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
I am sure with escalation, you get your AS promise ...

On a side note, IAD used to be my home airport and - I have never got any late baggage for the last twenty-something flights during 2020-21
I time it and it always 10-13 minutes door-to-first bag/redlight district flashing .

Haha
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:08 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K
I'll add one question to this where I took a flight earlier this year SEA to ATL with carry on only and decided to walk to baggage claim to get a gist for how ATL handled bags in terms of timing (i.e. if I checked a bag should I expect to exercise the guarantee.) They were quite late and had I checked a bag, there was no question I could have invoked the guarantee. Only problem was after doing a lap or 2 around the carousel and the area I couldn't find an AS representative.

Any suggestions for how to handle this if this happens in the future?
Old Jul 20, 2023, 5:30 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
I never tried to make a claim on the baggage guarantee but when the FA mentioned it on my SEA-CMH flight I figured I have a go. I took screen shots showing the time at door opening and when my bag appeared. 24 minutes on the clock so I sought a rep. He said it the time is to the first bag and his super said the same thing. Assuming AS cs will pay me, should I take the $25 credit which probably expires in a year or the miles which probably do not expire?
Old Jul 20, 2023, 6:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rxgeek
I never tried to make a claim on the baggage guarantee but when the FA mentioned it on my SEA-CMH flight I figured I have a go. I took screen shots showing the time at door opening and when my bag appeared. 24 minutes on the clock so I sought a rep. He said it the time is to the first bag and his super said the same thing. Assuming AS cs will pay me, should I take the $25 credit which probably expires in a year or the miles which probably do not expire?
It depends! What would be most beneficial to you? Will you use a $25 discount or would the 2,500 RDM miles bring you closer to another award?

2,500 RDM is more miles than the base miles you would earn on an AS SEA-JFK flight. Purchasing AS miles* are 2.75 cents per mile + 7.50% tax. If you received $25 cash instead of a discount code, you could purchase 845 miles. Conversely, if you purchased 2,500 miles it would cost you $73.91.

You can only apply one discount code per itinerary so you are limited to a $25 discount (off base fare, it does not reduce fees & taxes)

Personally, I find the $25 discount codes a nuisance especially when I have other discounts of a higher value or I am using a companion certificate.

I rarely check bags so I don't often get to claim the baggage guaratee. In the odd times I have, I always take the miles.

*Purchasing AS miles are based on a 1,000 mile minimum and in 1,000 miles increments, maximum 100,000 miles per transaction. The calculations above are for illustration purposes only.

James
TheBeerHunter and JC5280 like this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 20, 2023 at 9:40 pm
Old Jul 20, 2023, 8:49 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by rxgeek
He was wrong.
His super was wrong.
Take badge numbers or names and contact CS.

The language of the BSG is not ambiguous at all: “If your bags are not at baggage claim within 20 minutes of your plane’s arrival at the gate, we’ll offer you a $25 discount code for use on a future Alaska Airlines flight, or 2,500 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ bonus miles.”

Your bags. Not the first bag.

Personally, I take miles.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by twitch76
He was wrong.
His super was wrong.

The language of the BSG is not ambiguous at all: “If your bags are not at baggage claim within 20 minutes of your plane’s arrival at the gate, we’ll offer you a $25 discount code for use on a future Alaska Airlines flight, or 2,500 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ bonus miles.”

First bag makes no sense unless it is your bag. They could throw one bag on the belt and then take a 2 hr lunch break before dealing with the rest and according to this agent’s logic that would be perfectly fine.

Write to customer service.

As others, I would take the miles.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 12:08 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
I called AS cs and they sided with the airport agent. A perfect example of HUCA. I did an online chat and got the miles in less than 5 minutes.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 12:21 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by rxgeek;[url=tel:35433107
35433107[/url]]I called AS cs and they sided with the airport agent. A perfect example of HUCA. I did an online chat and got the miles in less than 5 minutes.
Ouch. I would email Customer Care / file a survey regarding that agent who needs to be retrained on this topic.
notquiteaff, twitch76 and beckoa like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 3:44 pm

When I've already had to wait for bags the last thing I want to do is go wait in line and talk to a baggage agent. I guess it's a good program for people with time on their hands but it's 1/10 flights where I'm not hustling to go get in a car rental line, try to catch a ferry, etc.

I think the mechanics of this "guarantee" are a joke.
frankvb and Brewbud like this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by twitch76
He was wrong.
His super was wrong.

Personally, I take miles.

I've had many 'arguments' with agents (mostly at EWR and SAN) that use the same argument insisting that the policy is first bag off the belt. I do believe that this is what they are told by their local supervisors, but it doesn't change the fact that they are wrong. The wording of the policy is clear, they just pretend that it means something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.