Wiki Posts
Search

Why More FC Seats on Newer Planes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
From the short attention span department, over the past handful of years, AS has removed, not added F seats, lest we forget that the 738s were 16F until pitch increased.
This must have been before my time. I'm only a couple years into flying a lot and caring about programs and upgrades.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
And, lest the OP forget, just because there's an upgrade doesn't mean that it isn't an upgrade with a revenue component, such as someone not purchasing a saver fare, or purchasing an instant UG fare commensurate with the passenger's elite status.
Yeah, this is a good point - I'd be unlikely to ever purchase a Saver fare but might be tempted when the the cost spread is enough. But with the chances of an upgrade I don't even consider it.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mtofell
This must have been before my time. I'm only a couple years into flying a lot and caring about programs and upgrades.
I guess I shouldn't assume that some of us aren't as old and jaded as others of us may be
mtofell likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiburi
Me. I value mileage earn than any other benefit.

Granted, I’m currently 100K and often get upgraded, my primary reason is due to the mileage earn toward award travels.

As all major carriers have made transition to the dollar based earn model, earning award travels on those carrier have diminished greatly. A one-way earn on transatlantic flight (5000 miles) on those carriers had gone from 5000(more as elite) redeemable miles to 2500 ($500 one way). I was Platinum on those carriers getting about 11500 miles each way prior to the calculation change. 11500 mile earn pre-change to about 4500 miles ($500 times elite multiplayer of 9) was already near one-third of redeemable miles. 😡. Had I paid more for my transatlantic ticket, I obviously would get more but I’m a thrift shopper always looking for travel bargains and lowest “non-basic” economy fares.

While their upgrade program remained constant, my most valued miles earn had been decimated at those carriers.

So while upgrade perks are amazing, my main reason flying AS is Mileage earn. I’d still be flying AS even if upgrade wasn’t a benefit.

Jiburi
And I'm almost the exact opposite.

Almost all FF programs are trying to serve two populations - the ones that want RDM like you, which I refer to as "S&H green stamp" programs because they give you all kinds of ways to get stamps or tokens (RDM) to collect for a big reward, and the ones that want their time in the air to suck less, because even a lie-flat with a fancy meal isn't as comfortable as being at home on the couch after a nice meal at home. And there's a continuum between those, filled with people balancing he RDM and the comfort.

All my business travel is purchased-Y only, but upgrades (free, paid, or with instruments) are allowed. I have periods where I have to do a lot of transcons, and it gets old fast sitting in Y LAX-BOS-LAX or LAX-IAD-LAX a couple times in a month.

Years and years ago, the first time I was flying a lot, I got upgraded regularly on UA as a 1P. Then after a pause in biz travel, I started flyiing a lot again and if you're flying hub to hub, it seemed like more than half the plane was 1K at boarding time, so upgrade changes as a 1P or 2P were zero unless I paid. So I made the switch to AS and it's been much more pleasant.

I don't really care that much about RDM. I use them eventually, but I already travel enough for work and personal stuff that I'm not saving up miles for anything special, and my vacations tend to be places where I can be completely offline outdoors for a while, even if I don't travel far to do that.
notquiteaff and buschoi like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by chrisl137

Almost all FF programs are trying to serve two populations - the ones that want RDM like you, which I refer to as "S&H green stamp" programs because they give you all kinds of ways to get stamps or tokens (RDM) to collect for a big reward, and the ones that want their time in the air to suck less, because even a lie-flat with a fancy meal isn't as comfortable as being at home on the couch after a nice meal at home. And there's a continuum between those, filled with people balancing he RDM and the comfort.

All my business travel is purchased-Y only, but upgrades (free, paid, or with instruments) are allowed. I have periods where I have to do a lot of transcons, and it gets old fast sitting in Y LAX-BOS-LAX or LAX-IAD-LAX a couple times in a month.

Years and years ago, the first time I was flying a lot, I got upgraded regularly on UA as a 1P. Then after a pause in biz travel, I started flyiing a lot again and if you're flying hub to hub, it seemed like more than half the plane was 1K at boarding time, so upgrade changes as a 1P or 2P were zero unless I paid. So I made the switch to AS and it's been much more pleasant.

I don't really care that much about RDM. I use them eventually, but I already travel enough for work and personal stuff that I'm not saving up miles for anything special, and my vacations tend to be places where I can be completely offline outdoors for a while, even if I don't travel far to do that.
Same, I travel for work and when I travel for leisure it’s as a family of 3 so FC upgrades don’t exist even as a family of 100K and 2 MVpG. Starting this year the family will no longer be traveling with me to keep status as I’ll just buy the FC for spouse and the kid and I will play the upgrade roulette.

Without the upgrades to FC, I might as well fly WN and thus buy the cheapest fare. The saver fares are not an option and thus the do suck the extra $40 each way from me every time. 40 x 70 flights a year turns out to be 2.8K
buschoi likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by chrisl137

I've been both over the years. But I've always used my RDM well. I've redeemed well over 2MM on LA over the years in the front cabin, as well as a EK F, CX F and a handful of others, not to mention millions of redeemed miles on UA. Years and years and years ago (more years that you?) I was upgraded perhaps 75% of the time as a UA 2P, then 90% as a UA 1P, then nearly 100% as a UA 1K, yes, to/from SFO. I just don't sit in the main cabin anymore on a flight that is going to be more than 2 hours. So the fare is going to be fair, or I'm going to need an upgrade at booking.

And watch what you compare this to. Some of us were Blue Chip Stamp people. The S&H Green Stamps were a mere annoyance. Oddly, I used to compare the FFPs as the modern version of the Stamp programs.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Xrayman
Without the upgrades to FC, I might as well fly WN and thus buy the cheapest fare.
Booking into PC is a pretty nice perk but I'm very "legroom sensitive" at 6'4". I flew WN for years when I didn't fly that much or that far but 5-6 hours is just too long to have me knees crammed in the back of a seat on my route to/from Hawaii. And it even goes beyond just my comfort. I've got back issues and I pay for it if I can't move around a bit. And yeah, that third person on the reservation does muck things up. It would be nice if AS could figure out a way to help out the upper level elites with that. Maybe allow you to bring two guests to PC? No one wants that middle seat anyway, right??
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mtofell
And yeah, that third person on the reservation does muck things up. It would be nice if AS could figure out a way to help out the upper level elites with that. Maybe allow you to bring two guests to PC? No one wants that middle seat anyway, right??
I had forgotten how it works at UA since my wife and I are both lifetime Gold MM (well, I am Gold, and she is my lifetime guest and companion). Looks like a UA Gold can bring one companion into Economy Plus, so if my wife and I travel together, we can bring two people into the comfy seats. But if I flew enough to get to Plat (or higher), each of us could bring 8 companions. That’s probably excessive, but some level of improvement for AS mid and top elites would make it more competitive. E.g., on an upcoming trip we are taking my MiL along. As an MVPG75K I can bring just one companion and had to choose between my MVP wife or my non-status MIL. Well, actually, I chose option C and put my wife and I on a companion pass ticket, booked my MIL separately and paid for her PC seats.

Heck, if I could just use my fairly useless Gold upgrades for confirmed PC upgrades, that would be nice.
mtofell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.