Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS agent canceled partner segment by mistake, now can't get it back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2022, 8:41 am
Original Poster

I had an award booking during the Fiji sale for US-NAN-SYD, with AS and Fiji segments.

There have been a lot of AS schedule changes, so while recently calling in to have the ticket reissued, I asked the agent if I could make a free voluntary change to the date of the NAN-SYD segment (originally November 13 6pm). The agent said she would try. Twenty minutes later, she comes back and says that because I booked during the promo (20k miles), she couldn't do an even exchange, so I asked to just stick with the original flight.

That's fine. But the agent then said she already canceled the original NAN-SYD segment (November 13 6pm), so she would have to request space (some "authorization code") back from Fiji. She apologized for her mistake, and kept saying that she shouldn't have done that.

It's been over a week, I've called in again, and the best AS has been able to do is confirm me on NAN-SYD for November 13 9am. Given that I have existing Fiji accommodation booked, this is unacceptable to me. The 6pm NAN-SYD is completely greyed out for all of November, but there's wide open space on the 9am. So I asked AS if I could do 9am on November 14, and they've refused, asking for 20k miles fare difference.

Given that I never requested to be on the November 13 9am, and the original agent clearly made a mistake, I feel like AS needs to either (1) confirm me on the original flight, or (2) treat this as a 9 hour schedule change, and let me fly on November 14 without ponying up more miles. Front line phone agents clearly aren't able to do either. How do I solve this? Am I missing something?
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:06 am

The agents are refusing to make the change is because the *system* is not treating it as a schedule change (if the system treated this as a schedule change then yes they would be able to move you).

You options are:
1) Wait for a real schedule change so the system allows the frontline agents to make the change to your desired date
2) Ask them nicely, very very very nicely, if they can credit you 20k miles so that then it is applied to the change (this happened to me once about 5-6 years ago, when Emirates award pricing had increased but i had a booking at the original lower pricing - i wanted to make a change which I was eligible for without the new price, an agent basically put 50k or whatever miles in my account and immidiately used them to make the change, basically as far as the system is concerned i paid the miles difference)
kalderlake likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by acmys
I had an award booking during the Fiji sale for US-NAN-SYD, with AS and Fiji segments.

There have been a lot of AS schedule changes, so while recently calling in to have the ticket reissued, I asked the agent if I could make a free voluntary change to the date of the NAN-SYD segment (originally November 13 6pm). The agent said she would try. Twenty minutes later, she comes back and says that because I booked during the promo (20k miles), she couldn't do an even exchange, so I asked to just stick with the original flight.

That's fine. But the agent then said she already canceled the original NAN-SYD segment (November 13 6pm), so she would have to request space (some "authorization code") back from Fiji. She apologized for her mistake, and kept saying that she shouldn't have done that.

It's been over a week, I've called in again, and the best AS has been able to do is confirm me on NAN-SYD for November 13 9am. Given that I have existing Fiji accommodation booked, this is unacceptable to me. The 6pm NAN-SYD is completely greyed out for all of November, but there's wide open space on the 9am. So I asked AS if I could do 9am on November 14, and they've refused, asking for 20k miles fare difference.

Given that I never requested to be on the November 13 9am, and the original agent clearly made a mistake, I feel like AS needs to either (1) confirm me on the original flight, or (2) treat this as a 9 hour schedule change, and let me fly on November 14 without ponying up more miles. Front line phone agents clearly aren't able to do either. How do I solve this? Am I missing something?
I recently had a schedule change similar to your scenario and was able to get my AS flight changed without issues however FJ had no award availability so I would have been in trouble had something gone awry.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
This has always terrified me when making schedule changes to international awards. I make it a habit of telling the agent repeatedly "DO NOT CHANGE THE INTERNATIONAL LEG AT ALL"!
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:36 pm

Question for OP: what was your desired date/time for the NAN-SYD flight, when you tried to make the failed change?

Were you looking at a flight with no award availability at all, and hoping that AS can request one for you? Or was there availability, but you wanted AS to waive the 20k miles difference?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:58 am

I'd HUCA and ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor can't help you, file a detailed DoT complaint.

You did EVERYTHING right here, and the error was 100% AS's fault. I'd fight as hard as possible to get them to fix it. It sucks that you have to waste so much time resolving this, though.
ffman999 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 5:07 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I'd HUCA and ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor can't help you, file a detailed DoT complaint.
I see many references to filing a DOT complaint. Has anyone ever had a DOT complaint solve an issue like this? (i.e. - create availability on a partner where the agent mistakenly cancelled a segment).
BearX220 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by sbrower
I see many references to filing a DOT complaint. Has anyone ever had a DOT complaint solve an issue like this? (i.e. - create availability on a partner where the agent mistakenly cancelled a segment).
Filing a DoT complaint probably won't create availability, but it WILL get AS to credit the passenger with the miles they'll have to use, to get the flights they want.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Filing a DoT complaint probably won't create availability, but it WILL get AS to credit the passenger with the miles they'll have to use, to get the flights they want.
This is assuming there's time to do this since it takes up to 60 days for a DoT complaint to trickle down to the airline in question and a response/resolution to the complainant.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
This is going to sound argumentative, but I don't mean it to be -- I'm just confused and looking for clarification. I do like to know the whole story before forming an opinion!

Originally scheduled 13 Nov @ 1800. Asking if it's possible to change (to when, we don't know). Best they can do is 13 Nov @ 0900, which is unacceptable because Fiji accommodations are already booked.

Do you mean you have some activities booked during the day on the 13th, or that you changed your accommodations before knowing the flight change was approved?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by dliesse
This is going to sound argumentative, but I don't mean it to be -- I'm just confused and looking for clarification. I do like to know the whole story before forming an opinion!

Originally scheduled 13 Nov @ 1800. Asking if it's possible to change (to when, we don't know). Best they can do is 13 Nov @ 0900, which is unacceptable because Fiji accommodations are already booked.

Do you mean you have some activities booked during the day on the 13th, or that you changed your accommodations before knowing the flight change was approved?
Seems OP has accomodations through Nov 13, and either does not want 9am flight or cannot make it, though can definitely leave next day (Nov 14)
Old Sep 1, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Seems OP has accomodations through Nov 13, and either does not want 9am flight or cannot make it, though can definitely leave next day (Nov 14)
Here is how I understand it.

Originally scheduled 13 Nov @ 1800. Asking if it's possible to change (to when, we don't know). AS said no without 20k miles fare difference. OP said no change then, but AS already cancelled the originally scheduled flight. OP wants the original scheduled flight back, but AS said best they can do is 13 Nov @ 0900, which is unacceptable because Fiji accommodations are already booked. AS also refused to put OP on 14 Nov @ 0900 without the 20k fare difference.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Update: asked for supervisor, she agreed that notes on PNR clearly indicate agent mistake, she booked me on a flight I was happy with.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 3:07 pm

Update: asked for supervisor, she agreed that notes on PNR clearly indicate agent mistake, she booked me on a flight I was happy with.
Can you share a little more details, such as what you original itinerary was, and what you're now happy with? Apparently some FTers, me included, couldn't quite figure it out from your earlier post. Hopefully not, but we all might face a similar situation at some point, and more details can better help us understand what AS can/can't do in these cases.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ezak
Can you share a little more details, such as what you original itinerary was, and what you're now happy with? Apparently some FTers, me included, couldn't quite figure it out from your earlier post. Hopefully not, but we all might face a similar situation at some point, and more details can better help us understand what AS can/can't do in these cases.
Original itinerary US-NAN-SYD, with NAN-SYD 13 November 6pm. Asked for free voluntary change to 15 November 9am. Agent canceled segment and could only get me back onto NAN-SYD 13 November 9am. Supervisor a few days later got me onto NAN-SYD 15 November 9am for free. There was Fiji space on all 9am flights but no 6pm flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.