Wiki Posts
Search

Fewer Instant Upgrade Fares/Options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Fewer Instant Upgrade Fares/Options

As I book the few flights I will make this year I notice that there is never an instant upgrade option for me anymore. Mostly SEA-DTW and SEA-BWI. I used to regularly get these as a 75K. Not only that but purchases paid first class has become ridiculous. Generally over $1K each leg. I get that operating costs are up but there seems to be a pretty big disconnect to me and it is definitely further diminishing my travel. Anyone else see or have thoughts on this. <flame suit engaged>
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by NWAlaskaFlyer
Anyone else see or have thoughts on this.
Alaska Airlines thinks they can make money selling F as opposed to offering instant upgrades from Y. They'll figure out if this is a way to optimize their profits pretty fast.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I've seen SEA-WAS in the ~$579 range 6-7 months out ... it's typically limited to one or two seats; then it jumps to ~$899 for one or two seats, then into four digits

that being said, I've also seen it revert to $709 a week out ... a $349 company-paid coach ticket means $360 out of pocket to upfare; that's a bit more than the $1/minute metric that DL regulars tend to espouse, but in the absence of all PC seats I've been ponying up
NWAlaskaFlyer and ACBLtd like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Alaska Airlines thinks they can make money selling F as opposed to offering instant upgrades from Y. They'll figure out if this is a way to optimize their profits pretty fast.
I get the revenue component of this. AS has to monetize. I do wonder if they think about the impact to business travelers who's travel is more discretionary.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
I've seen SEA-WAS in the ~$579 range 6-7 months out ... it's typically limited to one or two seats; then it jumps to ~$899 for one or two seats, then into four digits

that being said, I've also seen it revert to $709 a week out ... a $349 company-paid coach ticket means $360 out of pocket to upfare; that's a bit more than the $1/minute metric that DL regulars tend to espouse, but in the absence of all PC seats I've been ponying up
Yep been watching week to week on my next potential trip too.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Planes are packed full and Alaska cant expand or add flights due to inability to hire enough staff. While disappointing, it makes sense that upgrades are few and far between.
anteater likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by NWAlaskaFlyer
As I book the few flights I will make this year I notice that there is never an instant upgrade option for me anymore. Mostly SEA-DTW and SEA-BWI. I used to regularly get these as a 75K. Not only that but purchases paid first class has become ridiculous. Generally over $1K each leg. I get that operating costs are up but there seems to be a pretty big disconnect to me and it is definitely further diminishing my travel. Anyone else see or have thoughts on this. <flame suit engaged>
The industry is seeing high demand in the midst of low supply. It's almost expected that instant upgrades will be more rare compared to business as usual.
anteater likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
How can you tell if a fare is eligible for an instant upgrade? This happened to me on a very expensive coach ticket and I wasn't sure if it was a mistake, but now it makes sense.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by mpeterson78
How can you tell if a fare is eligible for an instant upgrade? This happened to me on a very expensive coach ticket and I wasn't sure if it was a mistake, but now it makes sense.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ntary-upgrades
Old Aug 22, 2022, 9:57 am

Thanks, is there a quicker and easier way to quickly check what fare class it is booking into without selecting the flight and waiting to see on the checkout screen what class it is?
Old Aug 22, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Thanks, is there a quicker and easier way to quickly check what fare class it is booking into without selecting the flight and waiting to see on the checkout screen what class it is?
I assume you mean whether you'll be booked into an instant-upgrade fare class if you choose the Main fare? You can infer it by choosing the MVP/Gold/75k/100k radio buttons (on the left) and then looking at the Premium Class Upgrade and First Class Upgrade columns. If the Main fare is greater than or equal to one of those, then you know that if you book the Main fare, you'll get an instant upgrade to either PC or F at that status level. So for example, if you select "MVP Gold" and then you see that the Main fare is the same as the "First Class Upgrade" fare, you know that Main must be booking into the K fare class or greater. So if you select the Main fare *and* U space is available, you'll get an instant upgrade to F if you're MVP Gold or higher.

Still a bit cumbersome to have to select the radio buttons (and possibly several of them to narrow it down), but faster than having to add it to your cart in order to see the fare class.
mpeterson78 and himang like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf93
So if you select the Main fare *and* U space is available, you'll get an instant upgrade to F if you're MVP Gold or higher.
But you still have to select the higher "First Class Upgrade" fare in order to get instant upgraded, right, not just "Main"? In addition to having the blue F.
anteater likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
But you still have to select the higher "First Class Upgrade" fare in order to get instant upgraded, right, not just "Main"? In addition to having the blue F.
I don't think it matters, but I don't know for sure. I think the MVP/Gold/75k/100k buttons are just syntactic sugar for the underlying fare class you'll be booked into, which ultimately is what drives whether you'll be instant-upgraded or not (assuming sufficient status and availability of "U" space). So I think that if Main and First Class Upgrade end up booking you into the same class, you'll be instant-upgraded regardless of which column you chose (again, assuming sufficient status and availability of "U" space). But having said that, I've never actually put it to the test.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 5:13 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

They were selling upgrades at the gate on today's SFO-HNL for $199 a pop. I think one couple took them up on the offer.

The flight went out with 5 open F and I think there might have been 2 non-revs in F.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Planes are packed full and Alaska cant expand or add flights due to inability to hire enough staff. While disappointing, it makes sense that upgrades are few and far between.
Is that changing? I was thinking about changing my flight today and looked at seats for other flights - tons of availability SAN => SEA on the other options. I stuck with my original after getting mail saying I was upgraded to first class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.