Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Difference in Upgrades — MVP vs MVP Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines

Hi everyone,

long time lurker, first time poster. I have been going through threads reading and it *seems* to me like there is a material difference in upgrades (MVP vs Gold). But I thought I would ask the question.

I am currently an MVP and have a touch over 35,000 qualifying miles with no further travel planned this year. From what I’ve read; I could most likely make this up in a mileage run or 2.

My question is: Is there a large difference in the consistency of getting First Class upgrades as an MVP Gold vs an MVP?

P.S — I’m Seattle based.

thanks everyone!
Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Seattle based? In terms of UG, not much difference cuz it's unlikely that gold will clear UG to/from SEA anyways /s.

But is MVP gold worth it? Absolutely yes. Your upgrade window is 72hrs before departure. You will get 4 upgrade certificates on AS upon reaching gold. The most valuable part is, once you reach gold, you can request same day change/standby for free, you can choose free Main Cabin Extra (MCE) seats on AA during purchase. As oneworld sapphire, you will be eligible for lounge access when flying intl or non-US domestic itineraries (exclusions apply).
Old Aug 5, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wait until prices drop in the fall and then fly to NY/FL and back. That should do the trick, and assuming you are planning on flying roughly the same amount next year, it will be worth it.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by 985X
Seattle based? In terms of UG, not much difference cuz it's unlikely that gold will clear UG to/from SEA anyways /s.

But is MVP gold worth it? Absolutely yes. Your upgrade window is 72hrs before departure. You will get 4 upgrade certificates on AS upon reaching gold. The most valuable part is, once you reach gold, you can request same day change/standby for free, you can choose free Main Cabin Extra (MCE) seats on AA during purchase. As oneworld sapphire, you will be eligible for lounge access when flying intl or non-US domestic itineraries (exclusions apply).
Plus as a gold, you are able to get premium seats three days before, so a much better chance of snagging a window or aisle premium seat (at least on 739s and E175s, not the 700s or 800s).
mtofell and mildfrequence like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone!

985X — I assumed the upgrades wouldn’t be a world of difference. I don’t know how elite heavy the SEA—>ORD; SEA—>PHL; and SEA—>ATL routes are but I’m hoping as a Gold to have more than 1 leg clear to FC next year 😂 I didn’t realize I could select the AA MCE seats at booking, that will be nice!

RAD_PDX - Thanks for the tip! And yes I do plan on flying the same amount (if not a little more) next year.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Waitlisted — That will be nice! I’ve never understood why elites still get upgraded to PC seats at the gate if they can select them beforehand? Even as an MVP I have had great luck getting PC on most of my flights.
Waitlisted and mildfrequence like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K
For only 5K miles I think it's worth it to mileage run or take a trip. I got my first upgrades west coast to Hawaii as a Gold. You won't see many but likely a couple here and there. As an MVP you'll likely get none. Also, as mentioned, the 72-hour upgrade into premium seats is a really nice perk.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Elite bonus RDM: MVP 50%, MVPG 100%.

James
frankvb, Gallibep, pcoll and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I've been flying SEA<>WAS as a 75K about every 3-4 weeks for the past year; have had a few UGs clear inside T-24, but have also been lucky with snagging some upfares in the ~$300 range

can't speak to ORD, but from what I've observed (on seat maps and at nearby gates) PHL would probably be similar in terms of clearing late if at all ... ATL odds could be slightly better due to greater frequency, and cost of upfare is also better than PHL
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Golds get chocolate, and more admiration from the FA's
Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The Same Day Change (SDC) perk is my fave elite Alaska perk and one that comes in handy if you go up and down the west coast or anywhere where there are multiple daily flights. For me, that alone is worth the 5k mileage run to get to MVP Gold.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I agree with others. Do a XC RT should get you to gold.

I’ve been MVP for years. I don’t travel enough to get gold. From my experience in get upgrades

if I’m on a non Seattle route I have better luck. I might get upgraded to premium on a Seattle route. I have better luck here on non Seattle. Some of these upgrades I got came last 2 hrs before departure.

you will get the benefits of gold flying in/ out of Seattle
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Other points not mentioned above
  • OneWorld Sapphire status is useful when traveling internationally if you're not booking business class tickets
  • No award change fees (I found this really useful but is it still the case? I can't find the text for this anymore.)
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BR787
Other points not mentioned above
  • OneWorld Sapphire status is useful when traveling internationally if you're not booking business class tickets
  • No award change fees (I found this really useful but is it still the case? I can't find the text for this anymore.)
There are no award change/cancel fees for anyone. It is no longer an Elite Benefit.

James
BR787 and HungryNomad like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
MVPG also allows for companion upgrades that you don't get with MVP....this works perfectly for my family of 4 when both parents have at least MVPG.
mildfrequence and HungryNomad like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.