Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Use points for SFO -> Japan (Or Korea) -> VIetnam with extended lay over?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP

I got about 400k points that I would like to burn for 4. Hoping to do RT Asia, What's the best way to maximize our points and which Partner would you recommend?

Want to fly from SFO to either Japan, Korea stay for a few days maybe even a week before flying to Vietnam.

I remember seeing a layover in one of those countries, do they allow you to extend the lay over?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
If you have about 400k points you do not have enough points to do round trip 4J on anyone other than CX.You need considerably more for JL and KE (closer to 500k). You can only do stopovers in the partner airline hub, so if you want Japan or Korea you need JL or KE. CX would be HKG (but Chinese COVID policy makes stopovers problematic).

Right now CX is erratic on schedules and Japan is only open for tourists on package tours, which might be problematic unless you like North Korean style tours with minders. Korea is probably more sensible.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP
Thanks, we're planning for a winter trip so we have some time. Im hearing more flights to asia is starting soon.

​​​​​​
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
Thanks, we're planning for a winter trip so we have some time. Im hearing more flights to asia is starting soon.

​​​​​​
Great, then you have plenty of points for JL Y.
dannieboiz and Smiley90 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:28 pm

Most of us cannot stopover in Japan right now. Korea is open though.

There seems to be an issue trying to get a stopover in Seoul though. I wasn't able to do it with multi-city. If you try calling and they can do it let us know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.