Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority security for Alaska 1st class at SFO & terminal question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority security for Alaska 1st class at SFO & terminal question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
It honestly depends on TSA staffing. They had to close the dedicated pre-check checkpoint the other night and the pre-check queue went to the sliding doors (mixed in with regular and given a card). I rarely saw that for pre-check in the evenings all the years I worked at SFO. The regular queue was 2 switchbacks outside of the sliding doors (which is normal for the morning bank of departures and a bit less common at night).

Good call out about the AC 777 having a significant impact. The AA 767 to MIA in the morning also used to have this effect on the regular TSA line. Honestly load factors are also very high this summer and it only takes a few of sick calls from a TSA agent to have to close a lane at one of the checkpoints.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:17 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Any recent data points on SFO? Flying in AS domestic F to LAX tomorrow and I am wondering if there is a priority security or, if not, how bad regular security is? Alaska are warning me that TSA say to turn up two hours before due to the high volume of passengers. I don’t have any of these fancy Pre or Clear things as I’m from the UK and I’m just on holiday. Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Any recent data points on SFO? Flying in AS domestic F to LAX tomorrow and I am wondering if there is a priority security or, if not, how bad regular security is? Alaska are warning me that TSA say to turn up two hours before due to the high volume of passengers. I don’t have any of these fancy Pre or Clear things as I’m from the UK and I’m just on holiday. Thanks.
Sunday’s can be busy, but it really depends on time of day and the bank of flights departing. There is no priority security for regular F at T2.

I went thru on Thursday at around 11am and the regular line was pretty crowded, but I’m pre and clear, so I have no idea how long it would’ve taken to get through.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Sunday’s can be busy, but it really depends on time of day and the bank of flights departing. There is no priority security for regular F at T2.

I went thru on Thursday at around 11am and the regular line was pretty crowded, but I’m pre and clear, so I have no idea how long it would’ve taken to get through.
Thank you, I appreciate the advice. I will arrive a couple of hours before my flight, just to be on the safe side, then. FWIW our flight is at 5pm - unsure if this is better or worse than the morning!
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:38 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. I will arrive a couple of hours before my flight, just to be on the safe side, then. FWIW our flight is at 5pm - unsure if this is better or worse than the morning!
All things being equal, security lines shouldn't be too bad at 5 pm. Arriving 90 minutes prior should be OK.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
All things being equal, security lines shouldn't be too bad at 5 pm. Arriving 90 minutes prior should be OK.
Thank you, much appreciated!
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:00 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K

I fly from SFO almost every weekday the past 3 weeks. At 5pm the TSA line at T2 (C/D gates) is the shortest, sometimes it looks like this: zero pax.

And every weekday around 8am it looks like this.

Although it's a Sunday, I think you will be fine, even arriving T-60 (if you don't have checked bag) is fine. If you have checked bag, T-70 is sufficient.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by 985X
I fly from SFO almost every weekday the past 3 weeks. At 5pm the TSA line at T2 (C/D gates) is the shortest, sometimes it looks like this: zero pax.

And every weekday around 8am it looks like this.

Although it's a Sunday, I think you will be fine, even arriving T-60 (if you don't have checked bag) is fine. If you have checked bag, T-70 is sufficient.
Thanks, that’s really helpful. We will aim for T-70 due to checked luggage.

Last edited by dayone; Aug 28, 2022 at 3:59 pm Reason: Redact quoted picture for readability.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:35 pm

If using priority line is a must, you can also head over to T3 to use United's priority line. Granted the time savings are minimal as you'll have to backtrack to T2 (given that you are checking a bag with AS)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.