Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Easiest was a re-fare a price drop outside of canceling/rebooking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, WN, UA

I am sure this is covered somewhere, but maybe once more with feeling for those in the back?

I have an upcoming reservation which has dropped in cost (only $50, but still.) I don't want to cancel it and rebook because it involves a companion fare and an Alaska Airlines cert. I think this happened to me once before and I just called in, but now when I look at Contact Us on the website it basically begs you for the love of God if you are not flying today, don't call us. So... chat? It's been stuck on "17 minutes" for an hour. Twitter? Give it up crazy person because it's only $50? What say the experts?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't cancel. Change to a different flight and then change back.
PVDtoDEL likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Even if every other fare on this route is more expensive than my current one, and I'd first have to pay more to get a credit back? Or I guess I could hunt down a fare for the exact same original cost (any itinerary/different day, etc.) Uff da. Will consider the options - thx.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by bayareafamily
Even if every other fare on this route is more expensive than my current one, and I'd first have to pay more to get a credit back? Or I guess I could hunt down a fare for the exact same original cost (any itinerary/different day, etc.) Uff da. Will consider the options - thx.
It doesn't have to be a fare on the same route.. Just another fare to dump your current ticket/companion fare and allow you to get wallet credit. Then go re-book your current itinerary again.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:21 am

Do the above..... And cross your fingers as involves some risk. Is it worth it? Up to you. I understand it's not in Alaska's interest to make this easier but it certainly is annoying.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks all! I was still trying to think through whether to attempt it or just leave it due to the certs and payments already attached when chat answered and the Rep did it for me. Whew! That's the easiest by far, if you can get them. It's just a bummer that is not a given since you don't know if/when they'll answer. Don't go by the time estimates!
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It is easy if the website lets you change the ticket. I just spent over two hours yesterday changing a flight by two days. It was booked with companion cert. The website didn’t let me change the ticket and ask me to call in (happened many times when I use companion certs.) Original fare was $259, and new fare was $189. With $70 credit back, I just texted 82008. Waited 20 mins to get to someone. Then another 1 hour 45 mins for the ticket to be changed and fares recalculated manually. Then was told I had to call in to pay $0.16 in tax for the companion. Luckily when I called the 75K/100K line, somebody picked up right away with no wait. I explained I was asked to call in to pay $0.16, we both laughed, and then I was warned the wait could be long. Once again luckily, she was able to get in touch with accounting and charged my card on file fairly quickly. The whole process took around 2.5 hours. And I only got $47 in credit instead of the expected $70. Not worth the time so I didn’t pursue further.

Three weeks ago I called in to change a companion cert ticket from FLL-SEA to MIA-SEA because again the website didn’t allow me to. No wait to talk to someone, but it took over an hour for the ticket price to be recalculated manually. So be ready it could take some time.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by bayareafamily
Thanks all! I was still trying to think through whether to attempt it or just leave it due to the certs and payments already attached when chat answered and the Rep did it for me. Whew! That's the easiest by far, if you can get them. It's just a bummer that is not a given since you don't know if/when they'll answer. Don't go by the time estimates!
What did you say to the chat rep for them to do it over the chat? Mine just keep telling me to call in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.