Wiki Posts
Search

Challenges Finding UK/US Award Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Mileage Plus
Challenges Finding UK/US Award Flights

Have played around on several dates in late July, August and October, absolutely nothing coming up (no AA, no BA, etc.) - is it really that tight, or is this a glitch? I did find a couple of dates with an Aer Lingus business award, but when I click on the dates, the availability disappears. Anyone else having this experience?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I assume you mean no J comes up? There is coach availability almost every day on BA. Summer J was all gone months ago.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Mileage Plus
Not even Y, I've been online at the website, logged in, and can't find anything available in any class of service.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is plenty of availability

Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG UA G Hilton Diamond
J availability has been spotty but it has been there. I have seen some F on the rare occasion and am still holding out for BA F in October.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:42 pm

Gotta love those mixed class where the short legs are in premium and rest in coach but they still charge the premium cabin miles.
williwaw, wrp96, SEA777GUY and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Wow, had no idea Royal Air Maroc was a legal AS redemption for Europe - North America. Cool! I wonder how their J product is.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
Yes there is availability but you fail to point out that almost every option is Aer Lingus at 280K/pp/one way!!
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lattegirl13
Yes there is availability but you fail to point out that almost every option is Aer Lingus at 280K/pp/one way!!
"Almost". So book one of the other ones.

The random date I picked had AA F for 57.5k miles and no BS BA surcharges. Of course of you insist on leaving from LHR you are stuck with the APD.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
"Almost". So book one of the other ones.

The random date I picked had AA F for 57.5k miles and no BS BA surcharges. Of course of you insist on leaving from LHR you are stuck with the APD.
Doesn't AA F just mean AA Y for the TATL section and F for the domestic section?
flyjfk and steveholt like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:11 pm

What route are you planning to fly? I'd assume you don't want to fly BA due to YQ, then it doesn't leave you much options(AY via HEL, IB via MAD, EI via DUB, etc)
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
Doesn't AA F just mean AA Y for the TATL section and F for the domestic section?
Argh I missed the mixed cabin icon.

Ok forget AA F (for that day, anyway).

The point is that OP was saying that there was no availability, even in Y. There is Y availability every single day.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Argh I missed the mixed cabin icon.

Ok forget AA F (for that day, anyway).

The point is that OP was saying that there was no availability, even in Y. There is Y availability every single day.
Yeah if OP is flying into big Hubs(JFK, ORD, LAX, etc) there are some availability. If OP wants to fly into other airports it really depends on when AS releases saver Y awards, which given the high prices recently I'd assume not many are released

Not much availability throughout summer for LHR-SFO, for example
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah if OP is flying into big Hubs(JFK, ORD, LAX, SFO, SEA, etc) there are some availability. If OP wants to fly into other airports it really depends on when AS releases saver Y awards, which given the high prices recently I'd assume not many are released
With AS you pretty much have to resign yourself to paying to get to/from the gateway. Saver space is essentially non-existent.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Yeah if OP is flying into big Hubs(JFK, ORD, LAX, etc) there are some availability. If OP wants to fly into other airports it really depends on when AS releases saver Y awards, which given the high prices recently I'd assume not many are released

Not much availability throughout summer for LHR-SFO, for example
Is it really that AS hasn't released any E/T inventory or is it that they were spoken for months ago? I am booking awards in the new year and have transcons in Saver First. I fly revenue early in the year to replenish my RDM, which I redeem for awards in late fall & early winter.

I already have PE & J revenue itineraries booked for Q1 2023 (so many cheap fares, surprisingly) that will attain MVPG in January & 75K in March and will surpass 250K RDM with the 75K bonus. Then I will start planning redemptions for the next season.

I am booking earlier than I used to. I think many others are doing the same. There is Saver inventory in the new year, even to/from the Islands. Those will likely be gone before fall.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.