Wiki Posts
Search

Pricing - Delta vs. Alaska

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Gold 75K
Pricing - Delta vs. Alaska

Wow! Alaska is really taking advantage of loyal flyers from Seattle. Looking at tickets over Thanksgiving-SEA to PVR.

One way fares on Alaska in main cabin departing between 11/19-11/22 range from $600-$900 for non-stop. One way fares on Delta range from $250-$550, for non-stop flights leaving within an hour of each other. I'm willing to pay a premium to retain status but not at this price difference. So, for now I wait and see when Alaska prices drop.....
Mahogany, mildfrequence and pcoll like this.
Old May 23, 2022, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sjbsf
Wow! Alaska is really taking advantage of loyal flyers from Seattle. Looking at tickets over Thanksgiving-SEA to PVR.

One way fares on Alaska in main cabin departing between 11/19-11/22 range from $600-$900 for non-stop. One way fares on Delta range from $250-$550, for non-stop flights leaving within an hour of each other. I'm willing to pay a premium to retain status but not at this price difference. So, for now I wait and see when Alaska prices drop.....
They might not. Generally DL’s prices to Mexico ex-SEA have been better than AS’s. I’ve taken advantage because my primary status concern is the status of how much cash is in my wallet these days.
985X, Caris, jakeller and 8 others like this.
Old May 23, 2022, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
They might not. Generally DLs prices to Mexico ex-SEA have been better than ASs. Ive taken advantage because my primary status concern is the status of how much cash is in my wallet these days.
DL has low pricing to Mexico from PHX too. I've seen fares where they must be losing money (Mexico has extremely high taxes -- I've seen PHX - LAX - SJC for a $15 base fare plus taxes and fees)
Old May 23, 2022, 8:27 pm

Probably not just to Mexico.

I became a free agent probably about 3 years ago. Just flying the cheapest legacy carrier with the schedule that works for me. During this time Ive flown to CA a bunch of times, at least a dozen trips to elsewhere in America (DEN, SLC, BOS, DC). And Ive only down AS a few times, strictly to/from CA. AS prices never seem to be competitive for other markets I fly from Seattle. Then again, it could be not enough sample size.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
AS prices high ex-SEA because they've got a bunch of captive flyers there who will pay higher fares.
Old May 23, 2022, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
AS prices high ex-SEA because they've got a bunch of captive flyers there who will pay higher fares.
Its weird, I dont understand the level of loyalty to AS here. I know people who only fly occasionally but, when they do, they try everything possible to fly AS. I see people using the Alaska BofA card for everyday purchase even though its like the least rewarding card imaginable.
ab2013 likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by evergrn
Its weird, I dont understand the level of loyalty to AS here. I know people who only fly occasionally but, when they do, they try everything possible to fly AS. I see people using the Alaska BofA card for everyday purchase even though its like the least rewarding card imaginable.
I expect that AS has published fares within a few cents of all of DL's fares, and AS just doesn't need to open up those seat buckets (or releases only a few of them) because it doesn't need to. Smart business if the planes are going out full, or close to it. Smart business for us to fly the competition, too.
Old May 23, 2022, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Glob, EX-AS 75k
I've been moving as much travel as possible from AS->DL since 1) I am statused on both, 2) Alaska does not seem to have the operational elasticity to withstand any minor disruption during this pilot issue, and 3) Delta answers the phone when I call.

I was reluctant to do this since we have several reservations booked on companion fares, and yet ... some of these are cheaper on DL with no discount than on AS with companion fares. Those companion fares lulled me into thinking AS would be the less expensive option, but that's not always the case!
Old May 23, 2022, 11:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by evergrn
It’s weird, I don’t understand the level of loyalty to AS here. I know people who only fly occasionally but, when they do, they try everything possible to fly AS. I see people using the Alaska BofA card for everyday purchase even though it’s like the least rewarding card imaginable.
Yeah, I don't really get it either. It's a fine airline, but it's not that great where I'll be fine paying double for economy.

Especially in these trying times with crazy inflation, I'm going to be thinking really carefully about how I spend money.
Old May 23, 2022, 11:52 pm

out of PDX is the same...AS prices are crazy, especially to MSP (i know its a delta stronghold). even when changed my E-175 to A320 the prices are nearly double that of alaska on some days and triple with connections
mildfrequence likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:53 am

As a Seattle based flyer, the only time I pick Alaska nowadays is if its a route that Delta isn't competing on (mostly to places like Alaska, Palm Springs, Oregon, and some better schedules to Florida/Texas compared to Delta), because yeah, AlaskaAirline pricing is completely ridiculous. I am baffled who even selects them given that delta is consistently lower fares everywhere.
Old May 24, 2022, 6:40 am

I've noticed Delta's revenue management of the front cabin is much more dynamic than AAG. Flying to DC on Thursday, and Alaska is sticking to $1100-$1400 one way, even with 4+ seats remaining. Delta just reduced a number of one-stop options to $650-$750, including some lie-flat segments. This is the 3rd time in the last several weeks I've switched from AAG to Delta at the last minute due to aggressive monetization of the front cabin by Delta.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:49 am

AS revenue management is either crazy and will have to cut prices further in, or there is truly demand and the lower fare buckets have sold out faster than DL.

While finding lower fares on DL ex-SEA is great for customers, I’m not sure that’s a great sign for DL’s goal of building a sustainable hub, particularly since key connecting traffic to Asia won’t recover soon.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: AS
We will probably not have status next year. AS making it difficult to retain status . DL offers better schedules and definitely better fares for this years travel. Flying out of LAX, DL has direct flights to east coast. AS does not , forcing connection through SEA or PDX.
I guess we are free agents now.
BayAreaTrvler likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Because of price and connections, I am flying proportionally less AS than previous years. Delta's efforts to capture West Coast business may be taking root (route).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.