Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horizon Service Cuts?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by applegrcoug
My brother was supposed to fly out on the early flight yesterday from YKM. It was canceled. They "graciously" rebooked him on the afternoon flight. Of course, at that point, he would have missed his engagement. Instead, he and his travel partner huffed it to Seattle, politely told AS where they could shove it and flew on Delta.

We then were talking about the value of one flight per day with a history of cancelations, especially in December and January. At that point, it is a net negative. What if you are going someplace and you need to be there at a given time? You would now need a contingency plan for each booking.
Just to be fair, that flight was cancelled due to ATC, not the airline. My guess is probably related to the fatal traffic accident that knocked out power to the airport and caused significant structural damage to the tower.
https://www.yakimaherald.com/news/no...bae4e81b7.html
CITY ARRV DEPT ARRV DEPT CODES GATE
YKM ORIG 600A CXLD AT
SEA 645A TERM CXLD AT

AT - AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL - CANCELLATION
6YKM/DX XCLD AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL - CANCELLATION *0019
2SEA/ETA0634A PROJECTED *1406
1SEA/LX XCLD AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL - CANCELLATION *0019
Old May 24, 2022, 11:03 am

When I checked-in recently for a flight from YYJ, the gate agent who recognized me told me that the reduction to 1x/day in the fall is due to lack of pilots. Currently, YYJ is getting 2x/day which is a far cry from the 4x or 5x a day we used to get.

AS has always been my preferred airline to the USA given the convenience of getting between YYJ and SEA and the vast number of AS destinations available from SEA. However, if the limited flights to YYJ continue, I might have to reconsider.

I sure hope this is temporary.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jashah

I sure hope this is temporary.
Seems pretty unlikely. With the Q400s going away soon and no backfill with an equal number of E175s--plus the prospect of a scope clause in the new contract with the pilot to limit the amount of non-mainline flying, these smaller markets are more likely to go away completely than expect increased service for the next few years at least. Regional jet pilots are in even shorter supply than mainline.
jsguyrus likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Seems pretty unlikely. With the Q400s going away soon and no backfill with an equal number of E175s--plus the prospect of a scope clause in the new contract with the pilot to limit the amount of non-mainline flying, these smaller markets are more likely to go away completely than expect increased service for the next few years at least. Regional jet pilots are in even shorter supply than mainline.
We still have not seen an order for more E175's so who knows if they even plan to increase the fleet back to its current size.
Old May 24, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Just to be fair, that flight was cancelled due to ATC, not the airline. My guess is probably related to the fatal traffic accident that knocked out power to the airport and caused significant structural damage to the tower.
https://www.yakimaherald.com/news/no...bae4e81b7.html
CITY ARRV DEPT ARRV DEPT CODES GATE
YKM ORIG 600A CXLD AT
SEA 645A TERM CXLD AT

AT - AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL - CANCELLATION
6YKM/DX XCLD AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL - CANCELLATION *0019
2SEA/ETA0634A PROJECTED *1406
1SEA/LX XCLD AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL - CANCELLATION *0019
I thought of that...that was Friday morning that the car flew into the tower. Strangely enough, the Saturday afternoon flight operated, it was the night flight/Sunday morning flight they cut. At least that is what I saw yesterday when I checked flightaware. Not only that, but at the times those operate, Yakima is not controlled airspace because the tower is closed. I dunno, just seemed like a convenient reason to cancel a flight they don't want to operate.

It is just frustrating I guess...being toyed with and jerked around. If they mean to just cease all service here, then just do it already.

I can remember when we had several flights on Horizon to Seattle...maybe four or five. On top of that there were several United Express flights to Seattle and one to Portland. According to trusty wikipedia, we had 16 flights per day in 1999.

Once United left, it really started to sink. Delta came in offering service to SLC, but I think that only lasted 6-8 months. Then it went from like five AS flights to four to three, etc.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Wonder if they’d do better just giving up completely a few markets and shifting the resources to other small markets instead of starving (and slowly killing) more.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Wonder if they’d do better just giving up completely a few markets and shifting the resources to other small markets instead of starving (and slowly killing) more.
And that calculus has to include the possibility of Delta waiting in the wings. Some of the smaller markets are actually very profitable for one airline, not so much for more than one, i.e. YKM.
notquiteaff and jsguyrus like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by applegrcoug

I can remember when we had several flights on Horizon to Seattle...maybe four or five. On top of that there were several United Express flights to Seattle and one to Portland. According to trusty wikipedia, we had 16 flights per day in 1999.

Once United left, it really started to sink. Delta came in offering service to SLC, but I think that only lasted 6-8 months. Then it went from like five AS flights to four to three, etc.
I remember those flights, of course they were on Metroliners and Q200s with a lot less seats. QX started with SEA-YKM as it’s very first route, but they don’t get much love anymore.
Old May 25, 2022, 1:41 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
We still have not seen an order for more E175's so who knows if they even plan to increase the fleet back to its current size.
They can’t order more until the pilot contract is settled as the number of planes that OO can fly on their behalf is also part of the scope issue. Another reason why it is a head scratcher as to why management is dragging out the pilot contract negotiation.
Old May 25, 2022, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by flytoeat
And that calculus has to include the possibility of Delta waiting in the wings. Some of the smaller markets are actually very profitable for one airline, not so much for more than one, i.e. YKM.
Yakima is a unique market due to its location. Right now it prints money for QX and runs mostly full and somewhat expensive flights. DL tried the market several years ago to SLC and it didn't work out. But, because it is about a 2 1/2 hour drive to SeaTac at some point, due to high costs or bad flight scheduling, customers will simply drive to SeaTac. Of course the thing AS needs to consider is if customers are already making the drive, there is no reason for them to stick with AS if the competition is cheaper.

Should QX leave the market then I am sure you would see DL (Skywest) jump in, if they have enough planes and pilots to do so.
Old May 25, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Yakima is a unique market due to its location. Right now it prints money for QX and runs mostly full and somewhat expensive flights. DL tried the market several years ago to SLC and it didn't work out. But, because it is about a 2 1/2 hour drive to SeaTac at some point, due to high costs or bad flight scheduling, customers will simply drive to SeaTac. Of course the thing AS needs to consider is if customers are already making the drive, there is no reason for them to stick with AS if the competition is cheaper.

Should QX leave the market then I am sure you would see DL (Skywest) jump in, if they have enough planes and pilots to do so.
Looking at the timeline for YKM, it seems that United Express left in October 2001, when passenger demand dropped after 9/11. Delta arrived in 2006 or 2007, then left in 2008 which suspiciously coincides with the Great Recession. In early 2020, QX was running 3 or 4x per day.

So I tend to agree that Delta would probably take advantage if QX left, or kept the schedule at such a minimal level. Same for Wenatchee.
jsguyrus likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA, AS

Yakima's location is very unique indeed...I have many options.

From my house in west Yakima whenever I go to SeaTac, it is right at three hours. In theory, it should be less, but it never is. There is ALWAYS something.

Seattle--3hrs
Pros: most flights, usually cheapest fares. Daily bus service from Yakima to SeaTac...provided the bus matches your flight schedule.
Cons: Traffic, the hotels near the airport could use more than a coat of pain, airport parking and then the real killer, Snoqualmie pass in the winter. Ever been stranded on the pass for eight hours? I have. It is not a pleasant experience.

Portland this one is just about 3:15. However, if coming from just about anyplace in the US south of Portland, this is made up for by less time in the airplane.
Pros: really good flight selection. Fares are usually inexpensive, maybe not as low as Seattle, but close. Airport accessibility from coming from the east is east and before Portland traffic jams. The parking is also plentiful and simple.
Cons: Some hotels are kinda dumpy, but on the whole I think they are better than Seattle. The Gorge can get some bad weather too, but not as bad as Snoqualmie.

Spokane...again about 3:15 from my house. Like Portland, if coming from anyplace east of Spokane, this great drive time is more than made up from less time in the plane; usually like 45min over Seattle.
Pros: Simple....simple to get there, simple to park, simple to find a nice hotel near by that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. We have a farm one hour midway into the journey, so I can get some production out of the drive.

Cons: Usually more expensive than PDX or SEA. Flight options aren't as robust as PDX or SEA. Doesn't have lounges.

Pasco. This has become our de facto home airport at just under an hour and a half from home.

Pros are proximity. Parking is easy, but it isn't the cheapest. I believe that honor goes to Spokane or Portland.

Cons are less flight options, costs more, no lounges and CRJ-200s.

My last trip for work was from Pasco, our last family trip was from Portland and our next family trip will be from Seattle.
Old May 26, 2022, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
nice description/analysis of your situation in YKM, and your decision/thought process about which nearby airports to use

wrt comments about DL, their recent announcement of schedule cutbacks would seem to indicate that expansion isn’t in the cards
Old May 27, 2022, 10:18 am

Horizon Substantially Slows Pilot Hiring-
In more bad news, QX has reduced the number of new hire pilots to two a class (down from the entire class of 10-12). The remaining slots will be filled with current Horizon Q400 pilots transitioning to the E175. The obvious effects are far fewer new pilots to fill in for those leaving and all of the potential new hires in the Pilot Development Program (College hiring program) will be delayed at least six months before being offered jobs. These people are likely to simply go to another regional airline; another in a long line of self inflicted wounds for QX.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Horizon Substantially Slows Pilot Hiring-
In more bad news, QX has reduced the number of new hire pilots to two a class (down from the entire class of 10-12).
Any idea why they are doing this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.