Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Hours-Long Hold Times - No Option for Call Back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hours-Long Hold Times - No Option for Call Back?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2022, 3:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Did they move the qualified agents to other channels and hire newbies that they then didn’t train to save cost? Did they cut cost by just replacing qualified staff with new untrained Twitter operators?
I believe it is a union issue. IIRC, reservation agents are unionized and the social care team is not. The union likely did not appreciate their work being handed by non-union employees.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
Wouldn't airlines be wise to invest more heavily in app and website functionality to reduce the need to call in?
See Delta. Competitive advantage, Delta.
Old May 8, 2022, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
My go-to method of communication when dealing with AA is usually Twitter--even if the response time is long, they can still take care of most reservation issues like schedule changes....I really wish the AS Twitter team could be empowered to do the same as it could potentially take some pressure off the phone/chat/text reservation agents.
AA twitter can't handle almost any of the things I need to call about Still agree that there should be a way other than calling to help us for all the airlines.
Old May 8, 2022, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
Wouldn't airlines be wise to invest more heavily in app and website functionality to reduce the need to call in?
I always use the APP/website to deal with a flight that had been canceled. I used it this morning when my SFO-JFK was cancelled. It gave me multiple options and I was done with new flights within 5 min. I did call in because the cancelled flight PNR was the same as the new flight and that confused me. Not to rub it in but it is good to have status and waited less than 2 min.
Old May 9, 2022, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
I always use the APP/website to deal with a flight that had been canceled. I used it this morning when my SFO-JFK was cancelled. It gave me multiple options and I was done with new flights within 5 min.
Lucky you. Not all things can be done online.

Not to rub it in but it is good to have status and waited less than 2 min.
Lucky you. The OP has status.

Originally Posted by estnet
Oh - and I don't think status matters - I was quoted 9 hours as MVPG
Lucky me… none of my few AS flights so far this year has been cancelled.
Old May 9, 2022, 2:18 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL Platinum,WN A-list, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Last year when Delta terminated twitter support and call center was overflowed, on a regular day wait time for call back was extremely long.

People needed to call Singapore center.

Great advantage if you speak another language - more easily to be connected.
Old May 9, 2022, 3:19 am

Try Get Human. Just remember to add the Get Human callback number into your Contacts.
Old May 9, 2022, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Noahf989
Last year when Delta terminated twitter support and call center was overflowed, on a regular day wait time for call back was extremely long.

People needed to call Singapore center.

Great advantage if you speak another language - more easily to be connected.
The point is that Delta allows much more rebooking flexibility during IRROPS through their app.
Old May 9, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
For most of my issues I can concisely and clearly articulate my issue with all the necessary information in a quick DM. And I generally don’t need an immediate response, or a back and forth. An asynchronous channel seems like a cost effective way to serve many customers.
I highly recommend AS' text message support for this reason. Text your query to 82-008 and you'll be connected with a proper reservations agent who can action anything that doesn't require collecting money (they can only accept payments over phone). Even though I don't think there's any prioritization for elite members (hold times are usually longer than when I call in), the convenience of being able to type out my request is totally worth it to me.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I highly recommend AS' text message support for this reason. Text your query to 82-008 and you'll be connected with a proper reservations agent who can action anything that doesn't require collecting money (they can only accept payments over phone). Even though I don't think there's any prioritization for elite members (hold times are usually longer than when I call in), the convenience of being able to type out my request is totally worth it to me.
Agreed, I have done that a couple times. I have seen a few reports of chat or text being shut down during times of super high demand, but since I haven’t traveled much during recent months, I haven’t had that experience myself.

I just noticed that a couple of my future reservations have some sort of changes. The website doesn’t show any useful information (not even what the ticket used to look like; just says “call us”), so I will research what changed and see if text is a viable solution (trip involves Finnair flights).
Old May 9, 2022, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
I have never been able to make a DL change online without being asked to pay the full fare difference. Ten reservations, ten changes. No competitive adavantage there (although call back times are shorter, only a little over an hour).
Old May 9, 2022, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Aliquot
I have never been able to make a DL change online without being asked to pay the full fare difference. Ten reservations, ten changes. No competitive adavantage there (although call back times are shorter, only a little over an hour).
During IRROPS, fare differences are waived on Delta. You can pick any available routing, and do it yourself. That requires a call to Alaska, and you might have to wait 9 hours. Ridiculous.
Old May 10, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Things change and this time for the better.
According to Alaska Airlines mobile app as well as the full-web version, I needed to call about a reservation change. I was pleasantly surprised to be on hold for about 2 minutes before a real person answered.
Old May 10, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I called too this morning and waited just ten minutes. Even got the 100K mention.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 7:12 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
10 Hour Hold Times?

Is this real or are they just trying to scare people off from staying on the phone?? How are you possibly supposed to get anything done with hold times like that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.