Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I have a mileage run tomorrow to retain 75K but my flight was cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Tomorrow and the next few days I fly:

CHS SEA HNL SAN JFK SFO JFK

JFK SFO was cancelled and there is “over a 10 hour hold”

this is to retain my 75K status and yes I put off all my flights until the last minute. There is no point in me flying any of those flights if I cannot get the remaining 15k flown miles… does anybody have a suggestion what I should do? I have tweeted and texted and still waiting

edit: this is flight 274 for April 30

”thank you for calling the 75k elite line. The hold time is more than 10 hours”

I’ve held AS status for over 10 years and I’ve never heard of them crediting status for cancelled flights.

CHS SEA HNL is one ticket
HNL SAN JFK is one ticket
JFK SFO JFK is one ticket

am I going to lose my 75k status because this flight was cancelled? Does anybody know why AS274 was cancelled so far in advance?

Last edited by Mauibaby2008; Apr 27, 2022 at 10:12 pm
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Tomorrow and the next few days I fly:

CHS SEA HNL SAN JFK SFO JFK

JFK SFO was cancelled and there is “over a 10 hour hold”

this is to retain my 75K status and yes I put off all my flights until the last minute. There is no point in me flying any of those flights if I cannot get the remaining 15k flown miles… does anybody have a suggestion what I should do? I have tweeted and texted and still waiting

edit: this is flight 274 for April 30

”thank you for calling the 75k elite line. The hold time is more than 10 hours”

I’ve held AS status for over 10 years and I’ve never heard of them crediting status for cancelled flights.

CHS SEA HNL is one ticket
HNL SAN JFK is one ticket
JFK SFO JFK is one ticket

am I going to lose my 75k status because this flight was cancelled? Does anybody know why AS274 was cancelled so far in advance?
Just write to AS customer care. AS is usually pretty understanding and in this case the cancellation was entirely outside your control.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:24 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I had to call in two nights ago. Call late; I waited less than 5 minutes at around 10pm Hawaii time.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly747first
Just write to AS customer care. AS is usually pretty understanding and in this case the cancellation was entirely outside your control.
In this case what would you do?

this is $1900 in flights, of course I love flying. Do I not fly, let them lapse and complain? Or just wait all night to get off hold and not sleep lol I would rather not spend the next 3 days flying if I didn’t have to. I also do not know why this flight was cancelled. Not sure how to find out. The text wait time says 40 minutes, I’ve tweeted them as well
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
Would love to hear how this turns out. With a massive amount of cancellations from AS earlier year its going to be super hard for me to get to 100K and borderline retain 75k. Basically wiped out over 20k miles of flying. Reply from AS was a polite but firm no on elite credit for cancelled flights. They did give me a $75 discount code though.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olouie
Would love to hear how this turns out. With a massive amount of cancellations from AS earlier year its going to be super hard for me to get to 100K and borderline retain 75k. Basically wiped out over 20k miles of flying. Reply from AS was a polite but firm no on elite credit for cancelled flights. They did give me a $75 discount code though.
they are responding by text, but it’s reservations, not mileage plan. These were the very last flights I could book to accomplish this and I am confident re booking will not solve this :/ I will keep this thread updated
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

“it was cancelled due to crew” - text chat.

so this must be the pilot shortage issue right?

Thanks for your patience! Great news!! One seat just opened up on Alaska#191, 30 Apr, departing SFO at 10:35 PM and arriving EWR at 7:05 AM (01 May). At this time, this is the only alternative.

I also checked the terms and conditions for the fast track requirements, and it states "All eligible travel must take place between January 1 and April 30, 2022." It does not state that your travel has to be completed by the 30th. So, the miles will still count towards the fast track program since you are departing on 30 Apr.

so I am going to risk $2000 on this?

”must take place between..” which means the alternative does not qualify. As I read it
tennessetom likes this.

Last edited by Mauibaby2008; Apr 27, 2022 at 11:26 pm
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This sucks. But...

I once had an AS redeye flight cancelled at the airport. AS rebooked me on AA the next morning and when I requested ORC I got it. (In addition to the AA miles I got, of course)

Even if they rebook you on their metal, ORC should be possible (you wouldn't be able to double dip though in that case)

Am I missing something here? I thought that was standard.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This sucks. But...

I once had an AS redeye flight cancelled at the airport. AS rebooked me on AA the next morning and when I requested ORC I got it. (In addition to the AA miles I got, of course)

Even if they rebook you on their metal, ORC should be possible (you wouldn't be able to double dip though in that case)

Am I missing something here? I thought that was standard.
I am not trying to double dip or anything, just trying to hold onto my pre covid Alaska status :’(

so fly the flights, arrive a day after the promo and then ask them then? I just don’t want to be told sorry for your luck after spending 3 days in airplanes and airports, which is now 4 days because they cannot find pilots?

it is $1900-2000 in flights I have booked so I want to make sure I don’t screw it up
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:44 pm

You will be fine if you take that flight. They will do the right thing. Plus AS IT is pretty bad so likely it will just auto do it.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:00 am
Original Poster

You will be fine if you take that flight. They will do the right thing. Plus AS IT is pretty bad so likely it will just auto do it.
The only other thing I’ll say is that, original flight credit (or whatever the term is) is different than getting mileage plan to over ride a promo. I had this happen one time and it was such a struggle.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:14 am

The only other thing I’ll say is that, original flight credit (or whatever the term is) is different than getting mileage plan to over ride a promo. I had this happen one time and it was such a struggle.
Yeah it does kind of suck and there is some risk. I would contact MP and make sure they verify it works.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:28 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
Make sure you call customer service to get compensation for your cancellation. See if they will give your rm and eqm and or discount voucher you can use to reduce flight costs. I had flight changed by 2 hours due to cancellation and was give $250 discount coupon. Given your flight was canceled you should get more than I did.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm definitely not an expert here, because I've done this exactly once in my life. But when I called to request original routing credit (after I had flown the rebooked flight) it was granted with no argument or discussion. This lead to me believe that it was completely SOP.

Also, my understanding of original routing credit is that you get credit for the flights as they were originally scheduled, including the dates and times. They will post after the promotional period is over, but that in itself is not uncommon -- partner flights can take a week or longer to post, and even AS metal flights can take a day or two. This doesn't matter; credit is backdated to the date of the flight. I believe that the flights that got me to my final status levels for both 2018 and 2019 we're taken very late in the year and did not post until after the new year, but I still got the status.

Again, I'm not an expert here, as my experience is limited to exactly one time. There are definitely people who have more experience and knowledge than I do; hopefully they will chime in. I can only say that I believe that if you fly the rescheduled flights and then call customer service to request original routing credit, you'll be fine.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:55 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If a flight is canceled and the passenger accepts a refund, is it reasonable for AS to grant RDM and EQM?
eponymous_coward likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.